Armstrong's financial situation - Page 23 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-24-12, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrocket View Post
Yes, the first mention of this last week made it sound much more vague and unlikely, but this new article makes it seem more likely the IRS is actually involved. I'm not sure why this makes me laugh...
I have a hard time imagining how much hubris you would have to have in order to do all the things he did. Ask President of France to fire the head of the AFLD. Destroy Lemond's business. Pocketed appearance moneys. And the thing that will probably take him down is not following the rules with the IRS. I wonder if he ever thought enough is enough or did he really believe himself to be invincible and above all rules.
Old 11-24-12, 22:59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweistein View Post
Ask President of France to fire the head of the AFLD. Destroy Lemond's business. Pocketed appearance moneys.
Asked Ashley Olsen on a date...
Old 11-24-12, 23:48

Quote:
I have a hard time imagining how much hubris you would have to have in order to do all the things he did.
I've had the craziest dumb luck to be around a few "celebrities" in very informal situations and a few of them are plenty crazy with "lets talk about me" in even a relaxed, non-professional situation. It should not be a suprrise then that Wonderboy and Wiesel are similar in this regard.

Posted in another thread is a hilarious review from a person who edited(??) Wiesel's bio-book and hated it so much he went back and posted the most negative review possible after getting another job. That's what kind of sick we're talking about.
Old 11-25-12, 02:26

Quote:
I have a hard time imagining how much hubris you would have to have in order to do all the things he did. Ask President of France to fire the head of the AFLD. Destroy Lemond's business. Pocketed appearance moneys. And the thing that will probably take him down is not following the rules with the IRS. I wonder if he ever thought enough is enough or did he really believe himself to be invincible and above all rules.
Watch for future comparisons with Al Capone, who ultimately only went down for tax evasion and NOT murder, corruption, and theft.
Old 11-25-12, 06:23

This is an article on how non-profits have been exploited in the U.S. for quite some time.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...rst-class.html

You have to give it to Team Wonderboy, they seem to have done the fraud bigger than most. Wouldn't it be great if they made liveswrong.com the example they prosecute to oblvion...
Old 11-25-12, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
I've had the craziest dumb luck to be around a few "celebrities" in very informal situations and a few of them are plenty crazy with "lets talk about me" in even a relaxed, non-professional situation. It should not be a suprrise then that Wonderboy and Wiesel are similar in this regard.

Posted in another thread is a hilarious review from a person who edited(??) Wiesel's bio-book and hated it so much he went back and posted the most negative review possible after getting another job. That's what kind of sick we're talking about.
Didn't hate it so much to refuse the job did he? Hubris is measured by the integrity of those in the pond.
Old 11-25-12, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Didn't hate it so much to refuse the job did he? Hubris is measured by the integrity of those in the pond.
ahhh, it was the book editors fault. Of course.

Glad he did not turn down the job, otherwise we may not have known what an arrogant fool old Thom is.

Freedom of speech is a great thing, it makes it easier to know who the idiots are
Old 11-25-12, 18:07

Quote:
How could he have know how much he would hate it until he actually did the job?
Old 11-25-12, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
ahhh, it was the book editors fault. Of course.

Glad he did not turn down the job, otherwise we may not have known what an arrogant fool old Thom is.

Freedom of speech is a great thing, it makes it easier to know who the idiots are

I knew what an arrogant and repugnant old fool Thom was twenty some years ago. As, I might suspect, did you. So don't play the naif. My point was that we don't need a tabloid level auto-expose to confirm that. If you enjoy reading that sort of thing despite your high moral standards, I don't really know what to say....

The fact that editors and publishers would even take on something like that and call it a book, should be indicative of a greater set of systemic issues, but I know from long experience that those are not levels you're interested to plumb. Similarly, we'll agree to disagree as to what constitutes writing--let alone good.

@silverrocket: he could quit any time within the project; from the minute it became too distasteful. Doing it for the money and then writing a bad review aftwerwards: that does take a full measure of courage doesn't it?

Last edited by Susan Westemeyer; 11-26-12 at 19:21. Reason: insulting
Old 11-25-12, 18:53

Quote:

I knew what an arrogant and repugnant old fool Thom was twenty some years ago. As, I might suspect, did you. So don't play the naif. My point was that we don't need a tabloid level auto-expose to confirm that. If you enjoy reading that sort of thing despite your high moral standards, I don't really know what to say....

@silverrocket: he could quit any time within the project; from the minute it became too distasteful. Doing it for the money and then writing a bad review aftwerwards: that does take a full measure of courage doesn't it?
Race Radio: I may have my disagreements with you, but I'd never suggest that your posts were monochromatic. You definitely cover the full spectrum.

Last edited by Susan Westemeyer; 11-26-12 at 19:21. Reason: quoted deleted material