2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-24-12, 14:37

american gurls had a nice day.
also too bad for poltoranin sundby definitely the strongest though
Old 11-24-12, 15:57

Richardsson had a fall into the woods... but he still clocked a good time, so his form is on the right track. Olsson was a disappointment, as was Cologna.
Old 11-24-12, 16:07

Team Sky present their latest signing.

http://translate.google.se/translate...0.bild.html%23

Miriam whined about feeling heavy last season. German papers are saying she has been diagnosed with wheat & lactose sensitivity and has lost quite a bit of weight. Her off-season hasn't been all gluten- and lactose-free roses however. She had major dental surgery in april to replace her titanium jaw implant which was causing inflammation. From what I gather, she had a 2nd painful surgery in the summer, following an infection, and lost some training as a result.
Old 11-24-12, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
It looks like the Marit Bjrgen World Cup has begun business as usual.
I was getting my hopes up after Beito... all in vain, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
Richardsson had a fall into the woods... but he still clocked a good time, so his form is on the right track. Olsson was a disappointment, as was Cologna.
And M.Fourcade's performance was embarrassing for all of biathlon.
Old 11-24-12, 16:33

Don't expect Tarjei B to bounce back to his World Cup winning level. His off-season has been greatly hampered by illness. He hopes to be in good form at the World Championships in february, but does not expect to contend for the overall title.
Old 11-24-12, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
Team Sky present their latest signing.

http://translate.google.se/translate...0.bild.html%23

Miriam whined about feeling heavy last season. German papers are saying she has been diagnosed with wheat & lactose sensitivity and has lost quite a bit of weight. Her off-season hasn't been all gluten- and lactose-free roses however. She had major dental surgery in april to replace her titanium jaw implant which was causing inflammation. From what I gather, she had a 2nd painful surgery in the summer, following an infection, and lost some training as a result.
Wasn't it Garmin who had the whole gluten-free-diet thing?

Anyway, if Miri starts destroying the field I will not complain. Like her former roommate before her, there is no belief that the race is safe until every bullet has been fired and she's safely in front, given her propensity for shooting in such a way as to make Lars Berger look like Olga Zaitseva.

She's had a troubled offseason and a couple of months ago there was the voicing of some concerns from German staff that she had lost too much weight to be able to process all the required calories for competition, but she has such a level of potential. Her 2011-12 shooting wasn't great, but if she can shoot at that level and get back to her ski speed of 2010-11, it's only a matter of time until she wins something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
I was getting my hopes up after Beito... all in vain, probably.

And M.Fourcade's performance was embarrassing for all of biathlon.
Ey, Fourcade was great for 10km, just blew up completely in the last 5. Last year Svendsen and Hfsas entered disappointingly in the 15k at the first XC meet, but Svendsen pulled back a gap of over a minute in the relay. Lars Berger was successful, but then Lars Berger has always been one of the best skiers around when it comes to technique and adapting between XC and biathlon. Among the women, Tora Berger was about 5th at the first XC meet last year, and was probably about fourth fastest woman on average last year (I don't have the stats to hand, but would expect Neuner, Domracheva and Mkrinen to be ahead of her over the course of a season).

I guess Martin needs those regular breaks from the skiing to recuperate during the shooting a bit more than the likes of Berger.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-25-12, 15:59

Actually I think the French had poor skis as Manificat was a minute and a half behind Sundby, too. Can't explain it by anything else.

Surprised to see that Fourcade didn't participate in the relay, certainly would've done better than Poirrier.
Old 11-25-12, 18:35

Interesting (if inconsequential) mixed relay to start us off in Östersund. Things of note:
- Bachmann and Solemdal were way off ideal skiing form, the latter losing time to the likes of Dorin on the skis.
- Krystyna Palka was surprisingly quick, and has obviously worked on her skiing. She had some very good placements last year through her shooting, she may be worth keeping an eye on.
- The Russian women were predictably accurate, but the German girls were dead-eye as well.
- Erik Lesser was quite quick on the skis, leading the bunch back chasing down the less quick Volkov, but both he and Jean-Guillaume Beatrix made a right mess of their standing shoots.
- The Czech tandem looked pretty solid (and I like their new gear).
- Ustyugov is very calm under pressure, and his shooting was excellent.
- Svendsen ate up a decent amount of time in the first half of the last lap, but then seemed to fade, so I would assume he's below top level too.
- Sweden have a pretty good male tandem there, but I figured they were putting in an under-strength female pair, the same as often you find the second string given a test in the mixed relays, such as Lesser and Bjøntegaard in the German and Norwegian teams. But then I thought, with Zidek going last year, and Ekholm and Nilsson this off-season, actually that might be Sweden's strongest pair, which made me a bit concerned - they may be on the way to becoming one of those one-gender teams, like the Austrian men or the Belarusian women.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-27-12, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
Cologna usually doesn't start out the season that strong. He gets his points in the mid-late season in the form of the TdS and all the other races around then.

Kristofferson has a **** race on the girls side though.

Its pretty hard not to cheer for her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
Old 11-28-12, 18:15

Martin Fourcade starts the biathlon season by taking yet another victory, his 7th in 2012 (+3 WCs). What an incredible athlete he is, surely one of the best athletes worldwide in 2012.