Armstrong's financial situation - Page 25 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-25-12, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Mill Masochist View Post
Very tough.

He'd have to visit Betsy, Walsh, Kimmage, Lemond, Emma et. al. and ask for their forgiveness. He'd have to pay back the London Times, ASO, SCA and USPS for the stolen money. He'd have to admit to perjury and accept the consequences.

He'd have to make a public apology to Livestrong donors and anyone wearing a yellow band.

He and his PR people and lawyers would have to say they were sorry to the thousands of journalists and bloggers and commenters who were slimed and threatened.

Otherwise, an apology would be a joke. All of the parties above would be happy to say it was a joke. Betsy is a media star now. She isn't going away.

If you take all of the other athlete scandals and add them up -- Rose, Bonds, Clemons, Jones, Woods, Vick -- they don't come close to evoking the emotional backlash Armstrong guaranteed for himself with his two decades of lies and bullying tactics and moral pretension.

If Livestrong goes down in IRS flames, then the one small chance for an LA redemption probably disappears. Barred from sanctioned sports, stripped of sponsors, disinvited right and left from public speeches, LA's only remaining platform is Livestrong.
But when you ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose . . .. I don't think that Armstrong is being 'handled' at all right now. I think that he is deciding his own course. Anything can happen. And if Armstrong continues to want attention, it's about the only course left.
Old 11-25-12, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
Yup, book, tearful admission, blame the childhood, all with his willing accomplice.

The redemption will be tough. I doubt he will be able to apologize to the people he burned and successful redemption usually requires that the athlete returns to his sport (Vick, Woods). That option is not open for Wonderboy
Maybe LA and Sally Jenkins can get a one-for-two book deal. Both have some purging to do...
Old 11-26-12, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Maybe LA and Sally Jenkins can get a one-for-two book deal. Both have some purging to do...
Yup, stay tuned
Old 11-26-12, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
Yup, stay tuned
Sally can try to defend LA at this point, but she'll be laughed out of park.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/10/23/w...strong-lately/
Old 11-26-12, 03:16

Quote:

Ok, this thread keeps getting top billing... and I haven't even commented until post 257...

Sally: "if I can wind up with a rep for being a good friend and an independent thinker..."

Ok, no chance of getting credit for being an independent thinker when you took Lance' BS and regurgitated it.

As for a good friend, perhaps that depends on your definition.

A really good friend will intervene and try and stop their friend from harming themselves or committing a crime, or both.

Guess that is two strikes for Sally than.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-26-12, 03:20

Quote:

Sally can't let go. No time to keep up with Lance news except for:

Quote:
I did read George Hincapie’s affidavit, which I assume is truthful
Assume: Supposes to be the case without proof.

To Sally, journalist. An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts and is evidence in a court of law.
Old 11-26-12, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post

To Sally, journalist. An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts and is evidence in a court of law.
As a fiction writer, facts just get in her way.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-26-12, 04:12

The Washington Post sports editor is:

Matthew Vita
vitam@washpost.com

on Twitter
@mattvita

Let's let Matt know we expect an honest response from Sally Jenkins!

Last edited by Page Mill Masochist; 11-26-12 at 16:12.
Old 11-26-12, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
....When people look back at this and the last decade from a century or so on, Armstrong's athletic achievements will be mostly intact..
BBzzzzt! Wrong. Wonderboy's podiums have evaporated, the sporting myth shattered. I could go on with some other nonsense you posted, but your case doesn't get any better the more you write.

Wonderboy can't stay away, so there's more embarrassment coming for him. Maybe you'll be one of the dozen or so people standing in line at a bike show for an autographed 8x10 while hundreds steer clear of the stain a decade from now?

Dave, I'd argue another factor to Wiesel's system is the IOC silo. Their sports are set up similarly. Money talks, rules are there to lend an air of legitimacy, but IOC blessed sports administration is pretty much non-transparent.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 11-26-12 at 18:10.
Old 11-26-12, 18:50

For starters, any editor who takes a job and whines about it afterwards because they find the content unpalatable is beneath contempt. In my opinion. That's neoliberalized, social media complacency at its most invertebrate. Uncommon, no. Surprising? No, but deplorable nonetheless.

[B]=spineless whiners are not good.[/B

Economy in writing is a virtue, although hot air feels good right now.