Contador and Spanish cycling - Page 51 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 11-26-12, 10:45
86TDFWinner's Avatar
86TDFWinner 86TDFWinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,078
Default

Contador's a funny guy, not to mention a flip flopper. One minute he supports and praises Wonderboy, the next he's calling for tougher penalties for cheating, despite he himself getting popped for cheating/doping.
__________________
Check out my Facebook page devoted to the release(hopefully)of a 30th anniversary edition of American Flyers re-release on dvd. "Like" and comment on it if you will.
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 11-26-12, 10:56
86TDFWinner's Avatar
86TDFWinner 86TDFWinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post

Until 2008 everyone in a GT top-10 vastly doped. As for subsequent years, I'd like to believe in changes for the better.
I wouldn't go so far as to say everyone in 08 doped w/o proof. I would say however, that if Cadel did indeed dope in 08 as you claim, then how do we know he's clean now? If he did dope, then shouldn't he be held to the same standards as everyone else & have his tdf title stripped if thats the case?
__________________
Check out my Facebook page devoted to the release(hopefully)of a 30th anniversary edition of American Flyers re-release on dvd. "Like" and comment on it if you will.
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 11-26-12, 11:41
Arnout's Avatar
Arnout Arnout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 3,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Ah the French were being total *******s again. Typical Anyway we already knew the French hate Alberto, because he's Spanish or because whatever the **** else
You aren't allowed to say this, a certain Lance Armstrong from Austin has copyrighted this reasoning...
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 11-26-12, 12:02
Chef_Vodnik's Avatar
Chef_Vodnik Chef_Vodnik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: You don't know, man. You weren't there!
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
Intersting, but he still excuses himself as a wronged athlete!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cont...or-dope-cheats
Sometimes you really have to wonder if they're not just saying some of this stuff to keep us entertained over the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 11-26-12, 12:45
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TDFWinner View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say everyone in 08 doped w/o proof. I would say however, that if Cadel did indeed dope in 08 as you claim, then how do we know he's clean now? If he did dope, then shouldn't he be held to the same standards as everyone else & have his tdf title stripped if thats the case?
No doubt. I've just forgotten to add '2008 included'. At least one would like to hope that since 2009 doping among elite GT riders became selective. Before it was mass.

I just don't see how absolutely clean rider can beat a doper whereas their level is just comparable. Doping gives too much. So everyone must bluff in order not to turn up behind. Obviously, some riders clearly tried to ride clean. Say, Kohl in the 2007 Tour. It is well-known people like to attribute all his merits to doping, but Kohl never was weak and clearly had enough class to finish in top 10-15 in a level playing field. However, he horribly failed. IMO Alex Valverde rode that Tour without heavy doping as well. Cunego in the 2008 Tour is one more example. Everyone realizes its negligibility without PEDs and inevitably goes back to doping practice. It is a vicious circle — no way out.

Surely we have no direct proof. But in this situations it is ok to believe numbers. 41 '40 at a 105 k stage on Alpe-d'Huez is a very good sign.

Last edited by airstream; 11-26-12 at 13:20.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 11-26-12, 12:47
frenchfry's Avatar
frenchfry frenchfry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bourgogne
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Ah the French were being total *******s again. Typical Anyway we already knew the French hate Alberto, because he's Spanish or because whatever the **** else
Nice try at the "French" thing. The "French" in general don't give Contador much thought at all, and to say that the "French" hate Contador is a ridiculous statement made in ignorance of reality. As to the Spanish and doping, much has been said on the issue and clearly there isn't the same cultural push against doping in Spain as there is in France. Not to say no French athletes dope, because certainly some do.

What this interview showed, however, is that the French sports press is moving away from omerta and fawning over obvious dopers (Thierry Adam, Jean René Godard, Laurent Jalabert) to being a little more critical in the face of prepared statements that are intended to manipulate the sports organisations (ASO for example) and the general public.

Sorry, but Contador stating he has NEVER taken any PEDs is laughable.
__________________
"C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain n'ecoute pas" - Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 11-26-12, 14:04
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,964
Default

Omg it is never good enough for you Either he is a doper and a liar and a hypocrite or he is "just" a doper and a liar.
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 11-26-12, 14:08
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
Nice try at the "French" thing. The "French" in general don't give Contador much thought at all, and to say that the "French" hate Contador is a ridiculous statement made in ignorance of reality. As to the Spanish and doping, much has been said on the issue and clearly there isn't the same cultural push against doping in Spain as there is in France. Not to say no French athletes dope, because certainly some do.
The booing Alberto got at the 2011 tour presentation said it all really, they're just a bunch of arrogant *******s and I'm saying this as someone who has French family.
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 11-26-12, 14:10
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 15,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TDFWinner View Post
Contador's a funny guy, not to mention a flip flopper. One minute he supports and praises Wonderboy, the next he's calling for tougher penalties for cheating, despite he himself getting popped for cheating/doping.
Alberto did not support Lance, his comments were misinterpreted as he said himself and as I and many others noted right when the interview came out. He has said on a few occasions that Lance was his idol and he has praised him a couple of times but this is all about the early years of Alberto's career really.
__________________
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 11-26-12, 15:21
sniper sniper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Alberto did not support Lance, his comments were misinterpreted as he said himself and as I and many others noted right when the interview came out. He has said on a few occasions that Lance was his idol and he has praised him a couple of times but this is all about the early years of Alberto's career really.
as you seem to have forgotten: the usada report was not just about lance. it also exposed bruyneel and marti. Did Aldirto say anything wrt those two? you've got your head deep in the sand, goodness me. does it echo down there?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.