Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-25-12, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
So why don't all you people go and ride with big fat knobby MTB type tyres at 30psi on your TT rigs? According to some on here, it would make no difference to an individual's result.

In the case of my TT, I think our start times were either 1-min or 2-min apart.

Simple fact is, had my competitor used better tyres, his ride in all probability would have been somewhat faster. I can't see how having different tyres would have substantially changes his physiological performance on the day.

In the long run he improved and went on to win a world championship and Gold medal at London 2012. Good on him (nice young guy too).
Knobby's, really? You're grasping at straws now Alex. You have absolutely no way to attribute time gains or losses to a tire because what a lab roller testing tires came up with. This is the perfect case study of what the industry is trying to create, believers. Done with this thread, it's like trying to tell religious fanatics that their god doesn't exist.
Old 11-25-12, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
Wiggins won London 2012 but not the worlds unless you mean Brownlee.Either way I'm impressed.
Paralympics. I had a leg amputation in 2007 after a training accident and made a competitive comeback, including riding paracycling events, although most of my racing now days is masters age racing.

Last edited by Alex Simmons/RST; 11-25-12 at 22:32.
Old 11-25-12, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Knobby's, really? You're grasping at straws now Alex. You have absolutely no way to attribute time gains or losses to a tire because what a lab roller testing tires came up with. This is the perfect case study of what the industry is trying to create, believers. Done with this thread, it's like trying to tell religious fanatics that their god doesn't exist.
?

So relying on actual evidence is akin to being a religious fanatic who holds beliefs in spite of evidence to the contrary? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Evidence on the performance of various tyres is quite well established, as are the means to evaluate them. So why on earth would people want to ignore such evidence and believe tyres make no difference? Such an approach would be more akin to the sort of cognitive dissonance religious fanatics are known for.
Old 11-25-12, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
?

So relying on actual evidence is akin to being a religious fanatic who holds beliefs in spite of evidence to the contrary? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Evidence on the performance of various tyres is quite well established, as are the means to evaluate them. So why on earth would people want to ignore such evidence and believe tyres make no difference? Such an approach would be more akin to the sort of cognitive dissonance religious fanatics are known for.
I wholeheartedly agree that there are performance differences from tire to tire, never denied that. However, the idea of switching from a Gommitalia Targa K to a Veloflex Record is somehow going to make you faster because the numbers look better on paper is where the flaw is. The Matrix has you.
Old 11-26-12, 01:36

Alex Simmons you are wasting your time here. The evidence based approach works everywhere else except cycling apparently. I must have seen this lab vs real world argument a thousand times now. You get any result in a "test" you are meant to completely ignore it because there are lots of other variables etc etc. What's really happening is people don't understand enough about physics and the relationships between the relevant variables. We'd still be riding around on Penny Farthings if we'd paid too much attention to them.
Old 11-26-12, 06:25

My case rests Your Honour.

BTW - having coached two riders to hour records on the track, we examine these things very closely. I have another one going for a record attempt in February.

One thing we are going to check (amongst a range of tests) is tyre pressure for the track. Lots a myth surrounds tyre pressure and Crr.
Old 11-26-12, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that there are performance differences from tire to tire, never denied that. However, the idea of switching from a Gommitalia Targa K to a Veloflex Record is somehow going to make you faster because the numbers look better on paper is where the flaw is.
==================================================

Yep!
The truth is that 'everthing makes a difference', but sometimes the difference gets lost in the noise, or there are unexpected consequences that negate the anticipated change.

For example 'faster rolling tires' might result in a traction loss that requires slower corner speed.

But, 'fast rolling tires' should provide a performance improvement as long as they don't hurt other performance considerations. Whether the rider can take advantage of the improvement that the tires give is another question.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Old 11-27-12, 00:50

Back to the OP, Tour magazine is a ****ing joke. German bike companies ALWAYS come out on top in their stupid product testing. I wish I could get my hands on a print edition so I could wipe my *** with it.
Old 11-27-12, 01:44

Also, I'm done with Continental. I spent way too much their rubber this last year too put up with as many flats/failures as I did. Anyways, Maxxis makes better offroad tires (and Schwalbe for that matter), road tires I kind of don't care at this point. Schwalbe Ultremo is spendy but worth it I guess.
Old 11-27-12, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKosta View Post
For example 'faster rolling tires' might result in a traction loss that requires slower corner speed.
Very true - I assume that is why some tires use different compounds for the tire center and for tire shoulders.