U.S. Politics - Page 522 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-23-12, 15:56

Of particular interest to Scott, methinks.

Old 11-23-12, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Among other things. Clearly no one should have to pay for it other than those with vested business interests in the "failures."

But the problem runs deeper when so many of the "poor," (I'm not sure how low or high you want to stretch with that) think that the problem can be fixed strictly through voting. How long will it take some to realize that voting is not the means to achieving a world that benefits them?
Well if you take Galbraith's word then no, because the politicians are in the hands of finance.
Old 11-23-12, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Well if you take Galbraith's word then no, because the politicians are in the hands of finance.
I haven't followed closely enough in the past two years to know overwhelmingly. There may yet be discrete sectors, but politics in general seems unwilling to go against finance and propose alternative means and solutions.

Remember before the crash how the word out was that derivatives were highly arcane and complex matters that could only be handled and understood by the professionals. That turns out not to be the case at all. Anyone with an interest and relative intelligence can grasp how they work, and--if they have any critical faculties and tendencies--what the implications of derivatives are for the production and allocation of capital and wealth in the long term.

In a slightly different register, it seems what you are suggesting or describing is the fact that the notion and operations of something we might call the "political economy" has become immanent--all pervasive, and ultimately hierarchized, in fact almost the sovereign actor in terms of various global politics to which most other political projects must submit. Whether they do so unconsciously--as in the case of the conservative fringe--or actively under the current neoliberal project of the Obama administration, doesn't make much difference.
Old 11-24-12, 20:46

Uh-oh. The well known communist propaganda paper, Investors Business Daily, a source totally biased for the proletariot, is reporting that the deficit is shrinking at a rate fater than any time in eighty years. How can this be? I thought spending was out of control as Obama, a muslim pinko, tries to destroy America.

"From fiscal 2009 to fiscal 2012, the deficit shrank 3.1 percentage points, from 10.1% to 7.0% of GDP.

That's just a bit faster than the 3.0 percentage point deficit improvement from 1995 to '98, but at that point, the economy had everything going for it."

http://news.investors.com/blogs-capi...rld-war-ii.htm

Has Fox News been lying to me? Is it possible that as the economy picks up, the Bush tax cuts are removed, and the Republican wars come to an end, the deficit will plummet and the U.S. financial house can be put in order like it was under the last Democratic president? Nah, could not happen. Rush Limbaugh would have to go back on the drugs.
Old 11-25-12, 23:44

Oh my,

Quote:
After Obama was elected in his first term as president the then Prime Minister of Russia, Vladimir Putin gave a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in January of 2009. Ignored by the West as usual, Putin gave insightful and helpful advice to help the world economy and saying the world should avoid the Soviet mistake.

Recently, Obama has been re-elected for a 2nd term by an illiterate society and he is ready to continue his lies of less taxes while he raises them. He gives speeches of peace and love in the world while he promotes wars as he did in Egypt, Libya and Syria. He plans his next war is with Iran as he fires or demotes his generals who get in the way.
Quote:
Well, any normal individual understands that as true but liberalism is a psychosis . O'bomber even keeps the war going along the Mexican border with projects like "fast and furious" and there is still no sign of ending it. He is a Communist without question promoting the Communist Manifesto without calling it so.
Quote:
President Vladimir Putin could never have imagined anyone so ignorant or so willing to destroy their people like Obama much less seeing millions vote for someone like Obama. They read history in America don't they? Alas, the schools in the U.S. were conquered by the Communists long ago and history was revised thus paving the way for their Communist presidents. Obama has bailed out those businesses that voted for him and increased the debt to over 16 trillion with an ever increasing unemployment rate especially among blacks and other minorities. All the while promoting his agenda.

Nutcase Tea Partier? Nope, Xavier Lerma, Pravda.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/col...iet_mistake-0/
Old 11-26-12, 00:46

The true conservatives switch from getting their news from Fox (Fair and Balanced.) to Pravda (Now with more shoe pounding.). Nice. No word yet on which propaganda outlet is more biased.

Reagan is rolling in his grave about now, comrades.
Old 11-26-12, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
The true conservatives switch from getting their news from Fox (Fair and Balanced.) to Pravda (Now with more shoe pounding.). Nice. No word yet on which propaganda outlet is more biased.

Reagan is rolling in his grave about now, comrades.

Nope.

Funny tho, slick... When the Russians can add 1+1.

Reagan is just fine BTW. It's JFK who is restless.
Old 11-26-12, 13:55

This has made my day!

Old 11-26-12, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Oh my,

Nutcase Tea Partier? Nope, Xavier Lerma, Pravda.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/col...iet_mistake-0/
I'm sorry, Scott, but are we to assume that you agree with this? Cause that article is more than a little insane and I'm not using "insane" in the colloquial.
Old 11-26-12, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
I'm sorry, Scott, but are we to assume that you agree with this? Cause that article is more than a little insane and I'm not using "insane" in the colloquial.
Insane? Maybe by your definition.

The rhetoric is thick, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Recently, Obama has been re-elected for a 2nd term by an illiterate society and he is ready to continue his lies of less taxes while he raises them.
Illiterate society is a bit over the top... but the point?

Quote:
Obama has bailed out those businesses that voted for him and increased the debt to over 16 trillion with an ever increasing unemployment rate especially among blacks and other minorities. All the while promoting his agenda.
Nothing insane here.

Lerma quoting Putin;

Quote:
"...we are reducing taxes on production, investing money in the economy. We are optimizing state expenses.

The second possible mistake would be excessive interference into the economic life of the country and the absolute faith into the all-mightiness of the state.

There are no grounds to suggest that by putting the responsibility over to the state, one can achieve better results.

Unreasonable expansion of the budget deficit, accumulation of the national debt - are as destructive as an adventurous stock market game.

Of course, everything is relative. I don't pretend to know where the Russian tax rates were when Putin gave this speech. But the philosophy is interesting particularly when compared to our Prez.