Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-25-12, 05:55

Don't disagree. Still leaves many 'high price brand name' China manufacturers in the same boat however. Certainly enough frame/fork failures there also, no different to the Chinarello's.

Would be good to see Q&A as part of bike reviews more, especially comparative tests. And detail on fiber layup, vaccuum bagging, etc, etc. Demystify this part of the game a bit. And get real innovation to shine through, rather than marketing hype.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-25-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
I worked at one of the biggest Colnago dealers in Australia. Most people that buy a Colnago don't ride it hard enough to crack it. I did see a couple snap though from guys who were racing.

Ive never seen a CAAD 8/9/10 crack. Lots of 4/5/6/7's cracked at the RD mount where it was CNC'd out. You get ghost shifting on the climbs for a few weeks then it pops.
Every brand has failures including Colnago, but they've never had a recall, big difference. I was on a Colnago sponsored team for 6 years and we had one fail that thankfully wasn't during a race. Early version of the Star carbon fork pulled out of the dropouts on a roof rack going down the freeway at 80mph, my teammates Dream HX flipped over and shattered his rear windshield.

But this thread isn't about Colnago, we all know the demographic that gravitates towards that brand, it's been discussed to death here. With all the experience you proclaim to have one would think that you would have learned something about pricing and warranties. Just sayin'.
Old 11-25-12, 22:12

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

So your saying 'Colnago owner doesnt need warranty cos they are overweight and hardly ride and just buy bikes based on what juiced up pro rider is winning the world champs on'?

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 11-25-12, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
So your saying 'Colnago owner doesnt need warranty cos they are overweight and hardly ride and just buy bikes based on what juiced up pro rider is winning the world champs on'?
Like a gazillion Trek Madones weren't sold to 220lb accountants and lawyers new to cycling because of hero worship? Trek has a great warranty, and for good reason, volume decreases QC. Colnago has never needed a great warranty because volume has always been low, and QC notoriously high. Where did you work again? You should know all this by now d-rider if you worked at a Colnago dealer.
Old 11-26-12, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Trek has a great warranty, and for good reason, volume decreases QC.
Seriously? Tell that to Toyota they have largest volumes and very high quality (yes I know there have been recalls, which car hasnt) Volume in no way dictates lower quality, good manufaturing practises can provide both volume and quality.
Old 11-26-12, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
Seriously? Tell that to Toyota they have largest volumes and very high quality (yes I know there have been recalls, which car hasnt) Volume in no way dictates lower quality, good manufaturing practises can provide both volume and quality.
I agree. I work in QC - high volume can actually result in higher quality in the long run because faulty components are more likely to surface and corrective action taken.
Old 11-26-12, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
+1

When I'm bombing down a descent at 80km/h+ I have complete faith that my Colnago frame ain't going to fail. If I was on a Chinarello or some other no-name Chinese frame, not so much.

Before some noob or know-nothing says "they all come out of the same factory blah blah blah", have a read of this from well respected Cyclingtips.com.au http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/0...created-equal/
I'm neither a noob or know-nothing and the reseller doesn't "know" either. They hope they've chosen well from the few manufacturers turning out whole bikes with CEN certification and that's it. What's Colnago going to do differently at that point that makes it "better" than the other sticker set on the same line?

The expert's view is typical and legitimate Engineer worry. What is being described in the article is the risk inherent in building pretty much anything, only carbon makes detecting some failure conditions less likely.

Tinman is exactly right, waaaaaay too much BS in the bicycle retailing game.

I would argue the best deals are second-hand from people burned by the bike industry when they discover $10000 in gear doesn't make the sport easier.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 11-26-12 at 17:47.
Old 11-26-12, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree. I work in QC - high volume can actually result in higher quality in the long run because faulty components are more likely to surface and corrective action taken.
Before you go slapping each other on the back, you can't compare Toyota or any other auto to Trek, a freaking bicycle. I had the unfortunate pleasure of working at two Trek dealers, by far some of the worst QC for a big brand.

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 11-26-12 at 19:19.
Old 11-26-12, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
What's Colnago going to do differently at that point that makes it "better" than the other sticker set on the same line?
Almost 60 years in business and never a recall. Ernesto is either really good at choosing frame builders, or he's extremely lucky.
Old 11-26-12, 20:49

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Trek, Giant, Cannondale Specialized, Azzuri etc give lifetime warranty cos they believe in their product.

Colnago don't give lifetime warranty cos they don't believe in their product.

Pretty straight forward to me. The Ernesto fanboyz make some interesting theories though.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600