Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-25-12, 17:02
Administrator

Vikings @ Bears - Almost picked Minnesota. But I think Bears defense causes enough problems for Ponder.
Raiders @ Bengals - Bengals playing better.
Steelers @ Browns - Steelers way too hurt, Browns actually playing decent of late. Richardson finding his way, and Weeden settling in.
Bills @ Colts - Colts good at home.
Titans @ Jaguars - With CJ playing well, and Locker healthy.
Broncos @ Chiefs - What a sad team KC is.
Seahawks @ Dolphins - Miami no offense of late, won't help against top 5 defense of Seattle.
Falcons @ Buccaneers - TB at home, great running attack, Freeman playing mistake free (for now).
Ravens @ Chargers - Could be a shootout.
Rams @ Cardinals - I want Arizona, but too many problems on offense.
49ers @ Saints - Saints too good at home, and on a roll. Kaepernik back to reality here. He'll be good, but not enough to win.
Packers @ Giants - NYG healthy, at home. Have Packers number.
Panthers @ Eagles - Two sorry offenses. Game no one cares about. Hope Foles plays well.
Old 11-26-12, 12:48

glad to see the Bears, Browns, Raves & Falcs get wins. And also OFC glad for the Skins win. But Raves & Falcs are playing a bit like winged ducks... I mean they are not convincing me they are a real SB contenders like the 9ers are. I will be interested tonight to see what Foles can do. That intrigues me. My home team is NOT intriguing me . dadblasttheflatterap
Old 11-26-12, 16:20
Administrator

Agree with that. 49ers look way more dangerous, especially with Kaepernick, than the Falcons. Even the inconsistent Giants (who easily beat the 49ers) look more playoff real than Atlanta. A few FG here or there, and the Falcons are 8-3 or 7-4 maybe.

Ravens the same. I just see them getting easily beaten in a playoff game against NE or Houston. Though the Pats are inconsistent.

Packers definitely missed Clay Matthews, but they still have a questionable defense, and lack the offensive explosiveness they had the last two years.

Bears a different team with Cutler, no doubt. But unlike GB I think with him they have more consistency. They could be tough to beat at home come playoff time.

Seattle may get to the playoffs, but they'll be on the road and likely one and done. Defense looked...average suddenly.

Finally, back to SF. I'll be really surprised if Ciolin Kaepernick isn't named the 49ers starter from here on out, unless he has a terrible game, or gets hurt. He seems to have all the tools, is a serious student of the game, and he gives the Niners a dimension they simply don't have with Smith. And I dont mean running. He plays with an intensity, a sense of urgency that is a danger to other teams they rarely had with Smith. What really makes this stand out is that Smith had been playing quite well of late. Very accurate passing. But so has Kap. He has also completely overcome college criticisms I pointed out. I'm not saying Kaepernick is Steve Young or Tom Brady to Alex Smith's Joe Montana or Drew Bledsoe, or that Kap is going to lead them to the SB on his back, but after just two games, it looks like the change is here. Even if he has a bad game, he still very much looks like their QB of the future.
Old 11-26-12, 19:03

Agree with that take on 9ers and Kaeppi. Only thing about the 9ers now I question a little bit is the play of their MLBs not stuffing the gaps and being engaged by OLinemen too far downfield. We saw a little bit of that true in the game a couple weeks ago, but not as bad as the previous 4 weeks as I talked about earlier. Some of that kind of play on their part may have been due to WHO the QB/offense was that they are playing against... if a good QB and passing offense, then maybe that is why they were tending that way. I missed their game yesterday vs Saints, so don't know how they did vs Brees & Co, but is something I will be interested to watch in future.

PEDs in the NFL... Seattle Seahawk CBs Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman may have a 4 game suspension upheld for Adderall. If it's all true, bust 'em hard. Bust 'em all. Weed out that activity I say.

Last edited by on3m@n@rmy; 11-27-12 at 12:10. Reason: wanna make sure ppl searching those Seahawk CBs find this thread so they know how even Hawk fans like me feel about this
Old 11-27-12, 04:16
Administrator

Right now it looks like four game suspensions, and I too say good riddance. Let's not delude ourselves and pretend the NFL doesn't have dope problems, but like cycling I too have little sympathy for those who are caught and punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
I missed their game yesterday vs Saints, so don't know how they did vs Brees & Co, but is something I will be interested to watch in future.
Let me tell you. They are a different offense with Kaepernick on the field. I don't know that he's as complete as Smith, especially considering that Smith had been playing quite well of late (sans the Giants debacle). But Kaep just has a way about his approach to every play, an energy, that makes you think he has the ability to lead them to explosive plays, or long drives every time he's on the field, that you just don't see in Smith. I also recall the Giants game were after each of his 3 INT's that Smith threw, his confidence seemed to take a step down, and by halftime you knew they'd lose, there was no way he was going to lead them back. I've said all along I question the 49ers ability to come back when behind, especially late in big games. Part of that reason has been Smith, and a lack of fire perhaps. But that seems to change with Kapernick. Now, he is going to make mistakes, and he is not going to make the reads that Smith probably is, and he doesn't have the experience that could matter in big games (didn't against the Saints, in NO though) but they are simply a different team with him on the field.

If Harbaugh is going to go with Smith, he has to do it now, this coming week against the Rams, and say he's the guy. If he's going to stick with Kaep this week, he'll stick with him through the rest of the season. But as soon as either QB loses a game, the decision will get questioned.

I should note that the Saints actually played quite well, and were in the game. Their offense still looks as potent as ever. Two pick-6 passes by Brees were the difference, in an otherwise excellent game. I still expect the Saints to make the playoffs as a wildcard, and like their chances this week against the Falcons, even in Atlanta.
Old 11-27-12, 06:00

For sure, watching Keap should be interesting too.

I wish NFL would take a harder stand against doping & steroid use. Same with NCAA. NFL doping has been around forever. The first I recall was Lyle Alzedo's confession during his battle with terminal cancer. Then there was Bill "Roid Rage" Romanowski, who also confessed and had numerous altercations with players. There are all kinds of health related issues with steroid use from hypertension to elevated cholesterol and possible heart disease. But if grown adults want to do that stuff that's one thing, but that stuff filtering into high schools is a pet peeve of mine. Forgive my bringing this up, as I don't want to turn this into a clinic thread.

Man, can Philly get any more banged up? That has to be one of the biggest factors in their downfall so far. Under these kind of circumstances I would not dump HC Andy Reid. Foles was so-so, but he did some nice things too.
Old 11-29-12, 00:42

I'll be watching Kaep with keen interest too! How tall is he for a QB?

Eyes down for week 13, I'll kick off...

NO @ ATL – I know they’ve been lucky but I’m sticking with a winning team

JAC @ BUF – Bills to edge it
SEA @ CHI – Da Bears to roll at home
IND @ DET – Luck to get lucky in Motown
MIN @ GB – The Pack to recover at Lambeau
HOU @ TEN – I expect Texas to have too many guns
CAR @ KC – Back to back wins for the Panthers
SF @ STL – The Kap fairy tale to continue
NE @ MIA – The Brady bunch to do the business
ARI @ NYJ – Home advantage, no other reason
TB @ DEN – Peyton’s the man
CLE @ OAK – Not many will be waiting to see this, Browns maybe a touch less bad?
CIN @ SD – Could be a really good, close game. Bengals to edge it.
PIT @ BAL – Ravens always up for the old enemy, and after eight turnovers…..
PHI @ DAL – Not even the Cowboys can blow this win, Eagles just awful.

NYG @ WSH - Form, logic, and common sense all point to the Giants. I’m going for the upset!
Old 11-29-12, 06:35

Not bad on them picks Amster. But as much as I want a WSH win (& SEA win)... NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.
Bears over PEDs
Giants over Skins
IND @ DET – Only not lucky.

other than that, a couple upsets I might take:
NO @ ATL
CIN @ SD
Old 11-30-12, 12:29

I almost thought NO might turn it around in the second half for the upset win over the dirty Birds. But 5 INTs tossed by Brees, and ATL converting some of those to points, killed it.

Alex Smith needs to stop whining about benching. If he really wants to know why he should listen to Jaws Jaworski, who gives insight about the skillset that Smith lacks but Kaepernick has (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...t-starting-job)... arm strength and deep ball accuracy.

edit: re-reading Alpe's post, yes, confidence seems to be one of the factors also. Smith's lack of it, and Harbaugh's supply of it in Kaepernick.

Last edited by on3m@n@rmy; 11-30-12 at 12:32.
Old 11-30-12, 16:42
Administrator

I actually thought NO would beat Atlanta last night. Brees had his worst game in years, and NO was still in it. I now think that may have been Atlanta's peak for the season. They'll win the division, and have some good games, but they still look like 1 and done, or 1 win and then out. Especially if they have to play the Giants.

JAC @ BUF – Home team. Jax sux.
SEA @ CHI – Hawks weak on road, Bears great at home.
IND @ DET – Colts weak on road, weak against pass.
MIN @ GB – Very tough to pick. Packers way too many injuries, but at home.
HOU @ TEN – Texans roll.
CAR @ KC – Two poor teams, picked home.
SF @ STL – Kaep rolls into permanent starting job.
NE @ MIA – This could actually be close, unless Brady catches fire.
ARI @ NYJ – Kolb is probable, if he is out, and Lindell plays, Jets win.
TB @ DEN – Bucs playing better, but won't win in Denver.
CLE @ OAK – Weeden cleared to play, Browns improving. Oakland not. Wonder when Palmer is done, and they try to play Pryor?
CIN @ SD – Bengals on a roll, Chargers rolling over.
PIT @ BAL – Steelers just too beat up, even with Ben.
PHI @ DAL – Even Romo can't ruin this one...right?

NYG @ WSH - Giants are one of the healthiest teams in the league, and played very well last week. I'm not a fan, but maybe a believer.

Thanks for those links to Alex Smith's dilemma and Jawarski's comments. It's a sticky situation, there is no doubt Smith was playing well, and arguably the most accurate passer in the league...under 20 yards, and he plays mistake free. Kaep is an accurate thrower too, but can throw deeper, and as I said, gives them energy, an extra gear they don't have with Smith. A sense of danger about them. And as I said, with Smith if they were down by double digits, they were usually done (see Giants game) with Kaep I have a feeling he'd be looking to bring them back with fire no matter how far behind they were. Also, look for some long throws to Randy Moss this week. We've seem him talking with Kaep on the sidelines in recent weeks, and I think they're going to try to air it out deep to him more.