Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen? - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-27-12, 05:04

Especially when the Cannondale ranges and mid priced Colnagos come in 8 sizes and mid price Pinarello's come in 10 (iirc).
Old 11-28-12, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
How's the almighty Moots doing? You ready for a disk brake road bike yet?
Road disk....want.... *drools*

Stupid money...
Old 11-28-12, 17:48

Still no super deals :?

Looks like no Xmas gifts for you naughty kids.
Old 11-29-12, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parera View Post
Giant is probably producing the M10 if past history is any indication.
Yes, Giant do produce the M10, along with the CX-1 and CLX-3. Which begs the question of why these frames cost so much more than a Giant? I don't believe it's R&D or marketing, since Giant would spend significantly on these. Possibly due to low production runs by Colnago versus Giant but that's only a small part of the price difference. The rest is branding (perceived versus real superiority in quality).
Old 11-29-12, 13:30

Quote:
Before you go slapping each other on the back, you can't compare Toyota or any other auto to Trek, a freaking bicycle. I had the unfortunate pleasure of working at two Trek dealers, by far some of the worst QC for a big brand.
Well thats handy because I never did that. My observation related to your sweeping statement regarding volume and quality. Of course a high volume brand can also be high volume rubbish, crp in, crp out
Old 11-29-12, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Trek, Giant, Cannondale Specialized, Azzuri etc give lifetime warranty cos they believe in their product.

Colnago don't give lifetime warranty cos they don't believe in their product.

Pretty straight forward to me. The Ernesto fanboyz make some interesting theories though.
Cervelo gave me a lifetime warranty a fact I was very happy about when the bottom bracket insert fell out. My new Storck (nice dealer said I could choose any frame of replacement value) doesnt. I hope I am not proven wrong however I dont expect the bottom bracket to fall out.

I have a Wilson from the 60s, a Raleigh from the 70s, a Vitus from the 80s and a Gazelle from the 90s none ever offered a lifetime warranty because there was no need to provide marketing gimmicks as part of their value propositiion. Lifetime warranty is simple you throw it out there, most people never need it for the few who do you can easily swallow the cost and it looks good on a brochure. Colnago dont have a lifetime warranty becuase they dont need to, probably they can sell the volume they produce.

On the orther side of the arguement Colnago have probably never had a recall in part because they are not US based and sht scared of liability and being sued.
Old 11-29-12, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
Well thats handy because I never did that. My observation related to your sweeping statement regarding volume and quality. Of course a high volume brand can also be high volume rubbish, crp in, crp out
You used an automotive comparison when we're talking about the bike industry. Doesn't work. High volume DOES usually mean lower quality in this industry. Go work for a distributer and tell us what you find.
Old 11-29-12, 13:47

Quote:
You used an automotive comparison when we're talking about the bike industry. Doesn't work. High volume DOES usually mean lower quality in this industry. Go work for a distributer and tell us what you find.
yeah ok but it is a high end thread, Im sure you are not comparing decathlon to Colnago. Having seen your posts and name etc I might assume you are a camagnolo devotee, as I am. Shimano however are high volume and quality, no?
Old 11-29-12, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
yeah ok but it is a high end thread, Im sure you are not comparing decathlon to Colnago. Having seen your posts and name etc I might assume you are a camagnolo devotee, as I am. Shimano however are high volume and quality, no?
Comparing frames, high end of course, not parts. Shimano makes excellent fishing reels btw. You speak as if we haven't spoken before. I'm not new to the forum, look at my signature.
Old 11-29-12, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker jk View Post
Yes, Giant do produce the M10, along with the CX-1 and CLX-3. Which begs the question of why these frames cost so much more than a Giant? I don't believe it's R&D or marketing, since Giant would spend significantly on these. Possibly due to low production runs by Colnago versus Giant but that's only a small part of the price difference. The rest is branding (perceived versus real superiority in quality).
If these Colnago's are made by Giant this is a good thing.Giant has an excellent reputation and a slightly conservative approach to engineering lightweight frames , as does Colnago.
Many other high end brands (Cervelo,Specialized)could have their frames made by Giant but instead choose China purely for the cost saving not for the quality.