Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-27-12, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Funny how we are all so seemingly interested in what the rest of the world thinks of us until we don't like or agree with the sentiments.
I'm not really overly concerned with what a thug like Vladimir Putin thinks of us.
Old 11-27-12, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Not sure I follow. Does Russia have a right to criticize US militarism? Sure. But given their bitter experiences in Chechnya and Afghanistan, never mind their own interests in a twenty-first century reconfiguration of Middle East energy resources, this is not strictly a humanitarian intervention.

Russia's producers were also beginning to hurt in 2009 because the raw materials market had began to dry up for them in 2008, but that doesn't mean Putin's remarks had much to do with generating economic growth for the populace of the country.

Frankly, I don't really see what you're saying. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with the sentiments; I simply don't see how they have much relevance to the current US situation?
Putin;

Quote:
"...we are reducing taxes on production, investing money in the economy. We are optimizing state expenses.

The second possible mistake would be excessive interference into the economic life of the country and the absolute faith into the all-mightiness of the state.

There are no grounds to suggest that by putting the responsibility over to the state, one can achieve better results.

Unreasonable expansion of the budget deficit, accumulation of the national debt - are as destructive as an adventurous stock market game.
And;

Quote:
During the time of the Soviet Union the role of the state in economy was made absolute, which eventually lead to the total non-competitiveness of the economy. That lesson cost us very dearly. I am sure no one would want history to repeat itself."
You are right, nothing relevant to the US situation at all.
Old 11-27-12, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
I'm not really overly concerned with what a thug like Vladimir Putin thinks of us.
Convenient.
Old 11-27-12, 17:23

Quote:
Putin;

And;

You are right, nothing relevant to the US situation at all.
I'll give you this part: "unreasonable expansion of the budget deficit, accumulation of the national debt," as not being advantageous to any country. I am glad that a national leader of a major country was able to formulate that proposition.

As to the latter part of your quote, you can't remotely be taking on the talking point that the US is approaching a point of State totality comparable to that of the USSR in terms of internal production? If so, you should go back to trading cheap insults with Hugh because that's the same old rhetoric in a new can. Now that the internal critics of Obama have been momentarily silenced by the election, they climb out of their provincial shells and look for international critics? That seems to be the sum of your blogger's position.

I have never disagreed with you on the fact that the country is in a bad way long term as things stand financially, but Putin is not a voice of integrity in terms of the way forward.
Old 11-27-12, 17:57

Quote:
Convenient.
You do realize that you're just doing what you accuse the left of doing, don't you?
Old 11-27-12, 18:06

Quote:
I'll give you this part: "unreasonable expansion of the budget deficit, accumulation of the national debt," as not being advantageous to any country. I am glad that a national leader of a major country was able to formulate that proposition.

As to the latter part of your quote, you can't remotely be taking on the talking point that the US is approaching a point of State totality comparable to that of the USSR in terms of internal production? If so, you should go back to trading cheap insults with Hugh because that's the same old rhetoric in a new can. Now that the internal critics of Obama have been momentarily silenced by the election, they climb out of their provincial shells and look for international critics? That seems to be the sum of your blogger's position.

I have never disagreed with you on the fact that the country is in a bad way long term as things stand financially, but Putin is not a voice of integrity in terms of the way forward.
I don't think I like your characterization of my insults as "cheap", I would prefer "well crafted and clever".

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 11-27-12, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
I don't think I like your characterization of my insults as "cheap", I would prefer "well crafted and clever".
i was thinking more the mock spirit than the skill involved. my apologies.
Old 11-27-12, 18:13

Quote:

Quote:
No, I'm not.

The critics have not been silenced and I doubt they are looking for any assistance from abroad. Most of Obama's critics make salient points all by themselves. It's a target rich environment.

Quote:
but Putin is not a voice of integrity in terms of the way forward.
I have never intimated Putin has a shred of integrity. I find it interesting that EVEN HE has some accurate insight as to both our current situation and our current direction. It's not that hard to understand.

But you win. I regret posting the article.
Old 11-27-12, 18:20

Quote:
No, I'm not.

The critics have not been silenced and I doubt they are looking for any assistance from abroad. Most of Obama's critics make salient points all by themselves. It's a target rich environment.

I have never intimated Putin has a shred of integrity. I find it interesting that EVEN HE has some accurate insight as to both our current situation and our current direction. It's not that hard to understand.

But you win. I regret posting the article.
They've certainly been momentarily dampened and per that CNN article will be forced to retrench.

People all over the world have insight into this particular situation. That too is not that hard to understand and it wasn't at that time. Obama's course then was one of economic and short term pragmatism--by conventional measures. Not really Putin's mindset. The bigger question is why, if it's the elephant in the room, it isn't being taken on?

Not looking to win; that seems hardly the point. The article was an outright rant and nowhere near lucid in the sum of its points. You have to admit that?

Last edited by aphronesis; 11-27-12 at 18:29.
Old 11-27-12, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
You do realize that you're just doing what you accuse the left of doing, don't you?
Nope. I'm consistent.

It's you who concerns yourself with European/Overseas sentiment.... only to become unconcerned when the/your narrative is not adhered to.