What is the best exhibition of the last five years? - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Best exhibition of any rider since 2007.
Andy Schleck Galibier 2011 14 13.86%
Tom Boonen Roubaix 2012 12 11.88%
Alberto Contador Fuente Dé 2012 16 15.84%
Fabian Cancellara Roubaix 2010 26 25.74%
Philippe Gilbert Liege 2011 1 0.99%
Carlos Sastre Alpe D'Huez 2008 5 4.95%
Ivan Basso Zoncolan 2010 5 4.95%
Alberto Contador Verbier 2009 11 10.89%
Alejandro Valverde Plumelec 2008 0 0%
Other 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-12, 21:59

My fav Contador moment was modane-lalpe. If i cant win, I can still blow the race up.

the look on every single attempted breakaway rider as they look back 14km into what should be an easy 100k and see Contador ploughing through the esapees chased frantically by Schleck and the yellow jersey,

The biggest OMFG wtf moment ive ever seen in sport.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-27-12, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Why is Valverde in Plumelec on the list and not Evans in Montalcino? That stage is regarded as one of the best GT stages in many years and doesn't even get nominated!
What does Valverde has to do with Evans not being nominated, even if he deserved it?
Old 11-27-12, 22:04

Ricco - Col d'Aspin

Andrea Noč on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
Old 11-27-12, 22:05

Definition
when objects such as paintings are shown to the public, or when someone shows a particular skill or quality to the public

I guess this has to be the best exibition ever according to definition, no one could have ever shown that sort of skill
Old 11-27-12, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Lol, tell me a big race Cancellara won when other riders were sucking his wheel?

No one sucked his wheel at RvV 2010 or Roubaix(in fact, no one even bothered chasing him there except Boonen). As for E3 Prijs 2011, ever bothered to take a look at the field? Not a very impressive field. Phil's Omloop victory in 2008 is more impressive then. E3 Harelbeke 2011 was a great race to watch though, but I rank Phil's win higher because the field was much better and the race itself is much more prestigious.

Does it have to be a "great solo"? No, it's my opinion for crying out loud. If no one chases you the race will not be very exciting. And that's exactly what happened at Roubaix that year.

If you ask me which one of Boonen's Roubaix titles was the best I'll say 2008. Not his solos of 2009 or 2012.
So you like Belgian people who win sprints.

AGR is not that prestigious. Better than E3, ok. But not 'much more'

Then again if you compare AGR with RVV or PR there's also a gap.

And what about the tour, then? 'much more presitigous' applies then.

And Contador/Canc have showed their value many times there along with other riders like Schleck at 2011.

But ok it's an opinion so go ahead and be biased
Old 11-27-12, 22:29

The Tour is the most boring race in the world, what about it?

And LOL, E3 can't even compare to AGR. It wasn't even WT when Cancellara won it.

AGR had practically the same field as LBL. E3 Harelbeke was seriously lacking in competition that year because of G-W.

I like good races and Roubaix 2008 was a good race. Roubaix 2010 was boring, everyone gave up way too fast. And Boonen won that sprint with 30 bike lengths, tells you something doesn't it. I hate the "if it's not in a solo it's not a great win" attitude. If you ever bothered to look at Roubaix 2008 you'll see both Cancellara and Ballan tried everything to drop Boonen, but it was clear to everyone who was the strongest that day. Yeah Boonen is the better sprinter, but he won with 30 freaking bike lengths over Cancellara.

Much better Roubaix that year than the Bore de France of 2009. Cancellara getting beaten at Roubaix in his best year ever. Yeah, that's right, it wasn't 2010.

In 2008 alone Cancellara got third at the Olympic road race, won the time trial, defended his T-A lead on a steep wall, won Milan-San Remo and took 2 impressive wins in Tour de Suisse(much better than the Tour de Suisse he won the year after).
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-27-12 at 22:39.
Old 11-27-12, 22:47

Contador -Verbier 2009 for the most spectacular, I would add in the 2008 L'Angliru stage of the Vuelta. While not as much of an exibition in it's own right that stage win clinched Contador's hat trick of GT wins in little over a year, I don't think we will see that again for awhile.
Lo Sceriffo - To call him the Fabian Cancellara of his day would be more accurate when Fabian wins yet another Paris-Roubaix, a few more classics, the World Championship road race, a Grand Tour and continues to kick @rse for another five years. - Velominati

Last edited by M Sport; 11-27-12 at 22:49.
Old 11-27-12, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
So you like Belgian people who win sprints.

AGR is not that prestigious. Better than E3, ok. But not 'much more'

Then again if you compare AGR with RVV or PR there's also a gap.

And what about the tour, then? 'much more presitigous' applies then.

And Contador/Canc have showed their value many times there along with other riders like Schleck at 2011.

But ok it's an opinion so go ahead and be biased
Look at it this way: AGR has some of the top riders on cobbles(Nuyens, Terpstra, Chavanel) puncheurs/sprinters(Gilbert, Gerrans, Gasparotto, Sagan, Freire) climbers(Schlecks, Sanchez, Valverde, Vanendert) and all-rounders(Voeckler, Iglinskiy, Van Avermaet), most of them in good form and able to get a top 10. There aren't many classics on the calendar that have such a variety of participants. It's comparable to MSR, but then there's a chance someone from Down Under wins who's already in top shape.

The problem is AGR doesn't have a big history, because of the place on the calendar about until 15 years ago. That's the reason Boonen and Cancellara tend not to care about it too much.

Last edited by Pentacycle; 11-27-12 at 22:58.
Old 11-27-12, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
The Tour is the most boring race in the world, what about it?
Dude you spent the entire Giro taking the **** about how **** a race it is and proudly declaring not to have watched a minute of it. You did the same at the 2011 Vuelta.

So i figured you for a Tour fan but you find that boring too. Is there any race not won by Boonen or Gilbert that you do like?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-28-12, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Dude you spent the entire Giro taking the **** about how **** a race it is and proudly declaring not to have watched a minute of it. You did the same at the 2011 Vuelta.

So i figured you for a Tour fan but you find that boring too. Is there any race not won by Boonen or Gilbert that you do like?
This year's Giro was boring, what about it?

An exciting Tour was 2007, 2008 and 2011 was cool when Contador attacked, but the Pyrenees were boring.

An exciting Giro was 2008 and 2010(which I didn't watch live because of exams). 2011 was also good, but it leaves a bad memory for numerous reasons.

I'm not a fan of any Grand Tour, why would you ever think that? If the racing is good it doesn't matter which GT it comes from. Though I do downplay the Vuelta a lot, but here's a hint: don't take that too seriously.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-28-12 at 00:09.