What is the best exhibition of the last five years? - Page 7 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Best exhibition of any rider since 2007.
Andy Schleck Galibier 2011 14 13.86%
Tom Boonen Roubaix 2012 12 11.88%
Alberto Contador Fuente Dé 2012 16 15.84%
Fabian Cancellara Roubaix 2010 26 25.74%
Philippe Gilbert Liege 2011 1 0.99%
Carlos Sastre Alpe D'Huez 2008 5 4.95%
Ivan Basso Zoncolan 2010 5 4.95%
Alberto Contador Verbier 2009 11 10.89%
Alejandro Valverde Plumelec 2008 0 0%
Other 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-12, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Look at it this way: AGR has some of the top riders on cobbles(Nuyens, Terpstra, Chavanel) puncheurs/sprinters(Gilbert, Gerrans, Gasparotto, Sagan, Freire) climbers(Schlecks, Sanchez, Valverde, Vanendert) and all-rounders(Voeckler, Iglinskiy, Van Avermaet), most of them in good form and able to get a top 10. There aren't many classics on the calendar that have such a variety of participants. It's comparable to MSR, but then there's a chance someone from Down Under wins who's already in top shape.

The problem is AGR doesn't have a big history, because of the place on the calendar about until 15 years ago. That's the reason Boonen and Cancellara tend not to care about it too much.
Cancellara has shown interest in AGR. Boonen hasn't, but it should be obvious that he can't win that race when it finishes on top of the Cauberg. Though every year Boonen says he'll start AGR, but every time he ends up not doing it. It's kind of funny actually. Maybe Boonen could win it if it was still on the same course as when Museeuw won. Although Museeuw was better on the longer hills than Boonen, so I don't know for sure...

Boonen's weight was 78kg for the WC this year by the way.

I think Cancellara was going to ride it again this year, but you know what happened.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-28-12 at 13:03.
Old 11-28-12, 09:59

Luckily, there has been many good, but I definetely think that either Schleck's Galibier-attack or Cancellara's in Paris - Roubaix.

I voted for Andy's.

And to be honest, I don't understand why Contadors on Fuente Dé is number one; yes, it was great, but I think the two I mentioned are at least as good. Well, propably a question of "taste".
Old 11-28-12, 11:02

What makes Andy's galibier attack better than Alberto's fuente dé? The fact that Alberto took the race by its balls and turned it completely around on a hilly! stage while it seemed he was never going to drop purito, its awesome and in my biased opinion more heroic than galibier.
Old 11-28-12, 11:16
Banned

Andy's attack is a genuine world cycling gold reserve. It was not too spectacular to me [so I voted for Grandissimo Bisonte and the Alien), because maximal spectacle is always skirmish between 2-3 strongest riders with lots of attacks or exchanging for attacking arguments at least. That raid is value in itself as it showed how even overly organized TdF peloton can be derailed under one fearless move. Besides, as we see that attack and its successful realization entailed subsequent early attempts. It was a karmic self-annihilation as it is. If constant dropping wears away a stone, it was the entire waterfall.

Hell, vote for Alex in Plumenec someone just out of interest.

Last edited by airstream; 11-28-12 at 11:23.
Old 11-28-12, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blues View Post

And to be honest, I don't understand why Contadors on Fuente Dé is number one; yes, it was great, but I think the two I mentioned are at least as good. Well, propably a question of "taste".
Recent memory has something to do with it I'm sure, as well as Contador making a gutsy Race Winning Move; not just the stage as was the case for Andy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 11-28-12, 13:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blues View Post
Luckily, there has been many good, but I definetely think that either Schleck's Galibier-attack or Cancellara's in Paris - Roubaix.

I voted for Andy's.

Most of the reason Contador is on top I would say lies in Contador having a lot of fanoboys and fangirls on this forum. In comparison Schleck is not nearly as liked here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
Recent memory has something to do with it I'm sure, as well as Contador making a gutsy Race Winning Move; not just the stage as was the case for Andy.
When Schleck made the move it was to win the race as well. If he just wanted to win the stage he would have waited until the final climb.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 11-28-12, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Most of the reason Contador is on top I would say lies in Contador having a lot of fanoboys and fangirls on this forum. In comparison Schleck is not nearly as liked here.
I wonder why

Quote:
When Schleck made the move it was to win the race as well. If he just wanted to win the stage he would have waited until the final climb.
Actually not he made the move to set up an attack for Frank
Old 11-28-12, 13:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I wonder why

Actually not he made the move to set up an attack for Frank
No he didn't, he had fallen down on the GC so he made one last big effort to pull himself back into contention. Just like Contador on Fuente de it was a last big effort to win the race.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 11-28-12, 13:44
Banned

The forum is just of full of youthful maximalism. A few people rode at least 50k by themselves, however one has its views how any cyclist must ride and what he should say.
Old 11-28-12, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
No he didn't, he had fallen down on the GC so he made one last big effort to pull himself back into contention. Just like Contador on Fuente de it was a last big effort to win the race.
Of course he was Trying to win the race with his move; fact is he didn't though.....Alberto did.

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!