Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-28-12, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmewmew13 View Post
@johanbruyneel
"@JohanBruyneel: A bunch of ******s r gonna meet in London 2 change cycling. But why is @vaughters not on the list? He should be leading that group..."

via twitter a few min ago...
wow

*d.o.u.c.h.e.s
Seriously, hadnt seen his page, but that man needs to be booted from cycling without a doubt. Pics of him and Lance and the yellow jerseys as if neither had done anything wrong, and still having a go at anti doping people....FFS if he isnt given a life ban then there is no hope.
Old 11-28-12, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
How is that possible? They have a worldwide monopoly on competitive cycling and still backed by the IOC.

I'm with TheHog on this one. These scandals will die down.
It is the UCI Congress who determine Pat's future.

All they can do with Hein is strip him of his honorary presidency for life. He has no position to be re-elected.

Pat will be working the telephones in the lead up to the Annual Congress that votes on his re-election. If he can't get the numbers he will withdraw from re-election.

Media has less or no influence of "club" elections. It is based on personal relations and what sweeteners that can be promised to maintain those relations.

Only a directive from IOC could sway elections, eg., UCI must be seen to be reformed to continue in IOC family.
Old 11-28-12, 21:22

Quote:
@johanbruyneel
"@JohanBruyneel: A bunch of ******s r gonna meet in London 2 change cycling. But why is @vaughters not on the list? He should be leading that group..."

wow

*d.o.u.c.h.e.s
Kind of funny that both Johan and Lance have become the internet trolls they used to deride.
Old 11-29-12, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Also, he has a lawsuit on hold against the UCI - he is the guy with the ID who can bring more beer to the party.
in a long interview in a German newspaper (sueddeutsche) yesterday, Fueller said he's considering to get ex-sponsor Rabobank involved in his lawcase against UCI. Apparently Rabobank are sitting on some evidence of some kind, though Fueller said it's still unsure whether Rabobank will come out with the evidence.
Old 11-29-12, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
Apparently Rabobank are sitting on some evidence of some kind, though Fueller said it's still unsure whether Rabobank will come out with the evidence.
I am sure several teams have people who can blow up UCI. That's why LA was so confident, and why Bruyneel is still so cocky. Problem is that by doing so you also damage yourself, and that for Rabo is the issue. If they can come out the big hero and "change cycling now" they certainly would, but there is much past dirt that will stick and be damaging. Whether senior management is able to assess this risk in full will determine whether Rabo will come out and have a go. The rider survey just published shows the extent of Omerta they may have to battle before they can truly assess how much past liability risk they carry.

Interestingly also that Rabo declined Pat's offer for a one year sponsorship deal.
Old 11-29-12, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Problem is that by doing so you also damage yourself, and that for Rabo is the issue. If they can come out the big hero and "change cycling now" they certainly would, but there is much past dirt that will stick and be damaging.
[cynic]They are a bank, there's little that cycling can do to damage their image more than the last 5-6 years of the banking industry has already done.[/cynic]

As a big bank in The Netherlands, they don't face much of a financial hit from being part of the change cycling momentum.

My personal view, based on the culture of banking in Northern Europe, which is relatively conservative, is that their withdrawal from sponsorship was their version of a public protest at the state of mens professional cycling and when things change, they'll come back again.

I don't see them releasing anything more damaging than what they've already done.
Old 11-29-12, 07:45

Quote:
@johanbruyneel

wow

*d.o.u.c.h.e.s
Small reaction from JB, nothing serious but perhaps an indication that he is not prepared to lie down like a dog.
Old 11-29-12, 09:30

All of this is crap. Nothing is going to change in cycling, nothing changed in 1999, 2007 etc.; only blood dopers will be able to win TDFs. I've had a surreal feeling watching TDF presentation - on one hand LA was bashed while other proven dopers were cheered. ASO needs money, they wanted LA in past, they want Contador, Wiggins, Andy etc. now.
Old 11-29-12, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post
It is the UCI Congress who determine Pat's future.[/B]

All they can do with Hein is strip him of his honorary presidency for life. He has no position to be re-elected.

Pat will be working the telephones in the lead up to the Annual Congress that votes on his re-election. If he can't get the numbers he will withdraw from re-election.

Media has less or no influence of "club" elections. It is based on personal relations and what sweeteners that can be promised to maintain those relations.

Only a directive from IOC could sway elections, eg., UCI must be seen to be reformed to continue in IOC family.
I agree with you in part, but would describe media influence on the elections as indirect rather than non existent. If media attention is sufficiently damaging to congress members credibility AND motivates clubs within the federation to put pressure on from below......some will figure out that what worked for them in the past is no longer working.

It will be interesting to see if any of the decide it's in their (conflicting) business interests to jump on the change bandwagon.
Old 11-29-12, 10:55

More importantly, someone actually needs to oppose Pat when it comes to reelection. They didn't last time