I just have to ask ? Marianne Vos - Page 10 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-28-12, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Actually - I just went and read the Tilford piece and the CN article he referenced.
Not surprising that you were the one to start stretching an already stretched tale:

The actual article says:

The article does not say how long or for what exact reason Vos is going to SA, only when her next event is.
I've been trying to make this point (unsuccessfully) for the last few pages.
Old 11-29-12, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Only reason? Or a good reason?
Only reason. Every other argument gets dismissed. Not even with a counter argument, just dismissed. And then discussion is pointless.
Old 11-29-12, 11:02

Quote:
Actually - I just went and read the Tilford piece and the CN article he referenced.
Not surprising that you were the one to start stretching an already stretched tale:
Nothing stretched imo.

Quote:
The article does not say how long or for what exact reason Vos is going to SA, only when her next event is.
Keep clicking your little red heels together doc while repeating, "the peloton is clean, the peloton is clean, the peloton is clean"
Old 11-29-12, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galic Ho View Post
Athletes go to South Africa to watch the Rugby? Watch the soccer? No, they go to compete. I think you mean people...athletes go to South Africa to compete not pay respects. Since when has there been a friendly cricket series? Cricket is a serious sport, there are no friendly pleasantries. You are out to destroy your rival. Friendly is a poor word choice. All your examples are poor in the context of an athlete visiting South Africa.

All the sports you mentioned have major corruption, drug and match fixing and that is just in South Africa and the tournaments held there. Athletics from South Africa is dirty. They fired the head of the national athletics board after the debacle two years back...you should remember it, was a big deal. Cycling, well that would arguably be one of the cleaner sports, but it's the worlds best female cyclist in question, so it's suspect. The only sport I'd buy would be hockey. Plenty of hockey tournaments in South Africa. You funnily enough picked all the dodgy sports. Good job
Yes athletes went to South Africa to watch the World Cup
of Soccer. Many thousands of athletes went to watch the
World Cup. Just because you are an athlete does not mean
you cannot also be a spectator if your country/team did
not make it which was the case in my "example". You may
think my "examples" are all poor, but they all in fact happened
(you know, in real life, not the Clinic) and whether or not
you think the sports I mentioned are corrupt or not, the fact
remains there is more than one reason to go to South Africa,
which is the point, and the only point, I was making. I have
no idea what point you are making. Oh, I just remembered,
an neighbour of mine went to SA a few years back for bowls,
an he is a very good all-round athlete.

Last edited by oldcrank; 11-29-12 at 23:23.
Old 11-29-12, 23:36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
Nothing stretched imo.

Keep clicking your little red heels together doc while repeating, "the peloton is clean, the peloton is clean, the peloton is clean"
Wow - so, I point out that nowhere in the article does it say what she was doing in SA, how long, or for what purpose and your best rebuttal is to make up that I believe the peloton is clean?

The standard of trolling has really dived here lately.
Old 11-29-12, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Only reason. Every other argument gets dismissed. Not even with a counter argument, just dismissed. And then discussion is pointless.
No you are trying to say that if there is another reason to go there, to train in warm weather, then that is somehow proof that the rider is not going to facilitate doping. I say they may well be going for a number of reasons and doping is among them. They are not mutually exclusive.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 11-30-12, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Of course travel getting a lot cheaper has nothing to do with it...

That's the clinic for you. Everything must always have to do with doping.
Id be careful to make generalizations. The clinic has traditionally been conveniently dismissed mainly by Lance and Wiggins fans as a deluded "assylum" where everyone accuses everyone of doping. I was hoping after the former people would stop, but alas lessons do not seem to have been learnt.

the reality is that only a small % of the posters here believe everyone is doping. And even fewer look to these trivial arguments about Norhtern Europe etc. Your beef about that is with 1 poster, not the entire clinic.

Even people who suspect Vos may be doping don't really take those conspiracy theories seriously. There are thousands of posters on here, yet the nationalists always try to paint the opinions of 1 or 2 of those as representing the entire clinic. tut tut.

Especially since generalizations can easily be made about you. You believe all dutch people are clean. Afterall youve defended just about every dutch rider on here bar thomas dekker. And id take a guess you were pretty confident about him until 2008.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-30-12, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
No you are trying to say that if there is another reason to go there, to train in warm weather, then that is somehow proof that the rider is not going to facilitate doping. I say they may well be going for a number of reasons and doping is among them. They are not mutually exclusive.
What part of "nothing do to with cheaper travel" leaves room for discussion? That's the post I reacted to, and that's the post you defended as somehow including a reasonable argument.

Even if you do think she goes there to dope, it's probably partly because of cheaper air fare

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Especially since generalizations can easily be made about you. You believe all dutch people are clean. Afterall youve defended just about every dutch rider on here bar thomas dekker. And id take a guess you were pretty confident about him until 2008.
Yeah blablabla. Boogerd and E. Dekker were on the juice, I have little doubt about that, but also little proof. Concerning Thomas Dekker you have me confused with mr. Dekker_Tifosi.

More importantly, these guys have little to do with Marianne Vos, except their Dutch passport. When it concerns doping, suddenly this forum gets very emancipated

Last edited by theyoungest; 11-30-12 at 07:49.
Old 11-30-12, 10:38

Quote:
Wow - so, I point out that nowhere in the article does it say what she was doing in SA, how long, or for what purpose and your best rebuttal is to make up that I believe the peloton is clean?

The standard of trolling has really dived here lately.
I linked a Steve Tilford post from his blog nothing more, I agreed with SA not being an intelligent choice for training.

Stop attributing more to my posts than that.

Keep on self medicating doc
Old 12-01-12, 11:30

Any pro who doesn't like training in European winter conditions is obviously hiding something.

Riders caught in warm weather training camps should be dealt with severely - four year bans from the Flandrien / Flandrienne competition.