Armstrong's financial situation - Page 30 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #291  
Old 11-28-12, 11:46
frenchfry's Avatar
frenchfry frenchfry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bourgogne
Posts: 1,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Well yeah those are all good points. I just think that there will still be people who follow him and it will not just be "a dozen or so" people standing in a autograph line.

Contrary to what we talk about here you can still find people who have some weird faith in this guy. It is hard for me to explain and I could come up with some examples of a few guys here at my office. These are not cycling fans and some were not even Lance fans. Yet they have a retort to the USADA bannination and subsequent stripping of the TDF podiums.

So if there are still people coming up with excusses for him then it would not take long before he is back in the mix. How does he get there? I have no idea but I would not rule it out.

There is obsesion on the subject coming from many directions. I still find myself coming on here to see what is being said about him by the prolific posters here.

The genuine information that is shared here is great to know, but I am not a fish hack here parusing and trying to catch some inside info on the cheap,,,,, so the only thing I do with the information is read it for my own enjoyment.

Dave says up thread that people are still being paid to post here. I have a very hard time believing that. Maybe before? Now? Sounds farfetched.
You make some good points here Glenn. Humans are a strange species and have the capacity to have some pretty weird attitudes. I can understand why many people could care less about Armstrong, but it is harder to understand why they would still worship him (and worship isn't too strong a word).

Maybe nobody is being paid to post here (anymore?) but I don't doubt that Armstrong and his paid thugs are still attempting to manipulate public opinion in various ways including planting comments. Admittedly it is difficult to differentiate between paid hacks and brainless worshippers.
__________________
"C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain n'ecoute pas" - Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 11-28-12, 13:32
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
You make some good points here Glenn. Humans are a strange species and have the capacity to have some pretty weird attitudes. I can understand why many people could care less about Armstrong, but it is harder to understand why they would still worship him (and worship isn't too strong a word).
Maybe nobody is being paid to post here (anymore?) but I don't doubt that Armstrong and his paid thugs are still attempting to manipulate public opinion in various ways including planting comments. Admittedly it is difficult to differentiate between paid hacks and brainless worshippers.
Yes it is hard for anyone who has paid any attention to the facts. The worship comment is about right on target in more ways than one. In my experiences with some who "worship" Lance there is a common theme - they all have a very limited knowledge of cycling and have not been fans of the sport prior to 1999. I could go on a major rant about it but I think you know where I am coming from on that.

When he switched to Triatholon it was such a great fit in my opinion. You have all the age groupers geeking out about what new Time Trial bike to drop above6 grand on. They were a match made in Heaven. It is a shame that Lance was banninated from Triís. It was going to be fun watching clips of his runs getting gunned by a age grouper and his running form looked like a scarecrow with a corn cob rammed up his Exit.

If Lance is indeed wasting money on public opinion hacks then he must have some more cash to spend on his upcoming legal issues.

I wonder if WonderLance will make an appearance around here or is he too busy trying to get Lance from his pants?
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 11-28-12, 16:55
aphronesis aphronesis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
You may be right about the historical construction, but it is only through assessing behavior that the diagnosis can be adequately assessed.

I do take some personal pride in how frequently the term is bandied about with respect to Armstrong, however, and am flattered when you describe this as a "much favored designation".

There was a time, not too long ago, when the inference or suggestion of it would get you an automatic ban on most sites.

Thus, the description was first introduced as a broad suggestion... five years ago. Then, the proposition was ever so slowly ramped up such that descriptions were provided with increasing frequency three years ago.

Sometimes you have to use a lot of line to land the fish.

Dave.
Sure, but the currency and frequency of that term in the common culture has also changed much in those intervening years.

In part though it may be the case--as I suggested in that much longer post--that part of what it reveals is a fundamental lack of center within this culture itself. The gulf between Levi's blase attitude and the antipathy toward him in the other thread is evidence of this. But it is most certainly a historical construction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/he...l?pagewanted=2
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 11-28-12, 18:08
Velodude Velodude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Well yeah those are all good points. I just think that there will still be people who follow him and it will not just be "a dozen or so" people standing in a autograph line.

Contrary to what we talk about here you can still find people who have some weird faith in this guy. It is hard for me to explain and I could come up with some examples of a few guys here at my office. These are not cycling fans and some were not even Lance fans. Yet they have a retort to the USADA bannination and subsequent stripping of the TDF podiums.

So if there are still people coming up with excusses for him then it would not take long before he is back in the mix. How does he get there? I have no idea but I would not rule it out.

There is obsesion on the subject coming from many directions. I still find myself coming on here to see what is being said about him by the prolific posters here.

The genuine information that is shared here is great to know, but I am not a fish hack here parusing and trying to catch some inside info on the cheap,,,,, so the only thing I do with the information is read it for my own enjoyment.

Dave says up thread that people are still being paid to post here. I have a very hard time believing that. Maybe before? Now? Sounds farfetched.
Glen, your office happens to be in Houston, Tx.

Any national survey conducted on LA would certainly discount or eliminate home state results.

But I agree to an extent that LA will continue to have worshippers.

It is uniquely ingrained in US culture for the need to have national heroes. LA continuously beat the best in the world in a showplace annual international event in a sport that is on the fringe in the US.

That is why the final fall back position justifying LA superior prowess (everyone was doping) is palatable to the non cycling US citizen who believes the US dominate in all fields.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 11-28-12, 18:35
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post
Glen, your office happens to be in Houston, Tx.

Any national survey conducted on LA would certainly discount or eliminate home state results.

But I agree to an extent that LA will continue to have worshippers.

It is uniquely ingrained in US culture for the need to have national heroes. LA continuously beat the best in the world in a showplace annual international event in a sport that is on the fringe in the US.

That is why the final fall back position justifying LA superior prowess (everyone was doping) is palatable to the non cycling US citizen who believes the US dominate in all fields.
I should change my location but have not because I fear that I'm being cyber stalked.
Anyhow I'm no longer residing in the states. But there are a large number of expats from the State of Texas here. Our discussions about everything usually become arguments and that includes Lance.

The way you frame the fall back position is right on the money. I would say that for a while I suffered from that particular part of the affliction, that is I figured everyone was doping but Lance dominated the dopers.

I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 11-28-12, 18:56
Fortyninefourteen's Avatar
Fortyninefourteen Fortyninefourteen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 813
Default

I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.[/QUOTE]

This has been the intuition of many many people. Personally, from the first cortisone positive he was highly suspicious. And then all the sudden change in abilities combined with vigorous denials led me to believe that he had the foundation set up to provide an unassailable measure of character and integrity. Circling back to the topic of this thread, the current radio silence leads me to believe things are happening behind the scenes. Bet the check book has a few new, big entries .....
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 11-28-12, 19:09
DirtyWorks's Avatar
DirtyWorks DirtyWorks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Mill Masochist View Post
I'm shocked Washington Post still employs her. Maybe not for long.
Lots of people like her out there working for media properties small and large. It's easy to dismiss it or call it all kinds of names, but if she has lots of readers, then she's got a job.

Ed Coyle's still got a job after publishing propaganda disguised as science too. Talk about somebody that should have been shamed out of a job, Ed's done as bad as most Big-Pharma Psychiatry have done over the decade in just one paper.

Too bad Phil/Paul(??) played the bribery conspiracy card. That would have generated some real traffic for her employer. She could probably come up with a better one too. But, I think she missed her opportunity.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 11-28-12 at 19:12.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 11-28-12, 19:15
DirtyWorks's Avatar
DirtyWorks DirtyWorks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
Personally, from the first cortisone positive he was highly suspicious.
Being doped by Chris Carmichael as a Junior was all I needed to know. I still don't know why more people haven't put Carmichael's doping juniors and Wonderboy together.

That fraudster still has parts of the cycling industry covering for him. John Wilcockson comes to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 11-28-12, 19:21
DirtyWorks's Avatar
DirtyWorks DirtyWorks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Well yeah those are all good points. I just think that there will still be people who follow him and it will not just be "a dozen or so" people standing in a autograph line.
Relative to cycling, I think the number will be bigger. Relative to more popular American sports with self-made scandals like Pete Rose in baseball, the number will be tiny.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
So if there are still people coming up with excusses for him then it would not take long before he is back in the mix. How does he get there? I have no idea but I would not rule it out.
He'll be back. He can't stay away. There's another scandal right around the corner as long as Wiesel and Wonderboy are involved. I just hope the next one includes felony convictions.

I'm sure part of the reason for the Wonderboy interest is the same reason everyone slows down to gawk at the car accident. Add in the fact many people intuitively understand it's a scam and they want to run a scam that big themselves and he becomes a person of interest.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 11-28-12 at 19:24.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 11-28-12, 22:43
D-Queued D-Queued is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
...

Dave says up thread that people are still being paid to post here. I have a very hard time believing that. Maybe before? Now? Sounds farfetched.
Well I thought that was one of my funnier lines.

But, to your point, I hope not. And, I actually think not.

Not because Lance wouldn't want to, but more because he appears to be taking advice and is hiding out in dugout canoes on remote tropical islands.

Probably to be closer to his kids, right?

Dave.
__________________

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation


"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.