AD Survey on Dutch riders doping - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-28-12, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
What do you mean, sheds a dark light? Van der Poel was caught twice during his carreer (which makes it a bit silly to call him in the first place). A lot of riders from that era were either caught (Theunissen, Zoetemelk) or confessed on their own (Rooks, Mathieu Hermans, Peter Winnen) and said that their teams provided the doping. What does a stupid reaction by Van der Poel add to that?
You have to wonder about his kids...
Old 11-29-12, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol_Waaijer View Post
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dutc...ping-questions

Leon van Bon (40,1994-present) "No. But who believes me? Good answers to this question do not exist.”
Leon, perhaps the tester at the US Pro's when you would not give a urine test and ****ed in your knicks first.
Old 11-29-12, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
FWIW, Boogerd recently said he always noticed a huge difference between the level of the US Postals in spring, and in the Tour, where he couldn't keep up with them anymore.

And so he's a doper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Is he now the benchmark for what was possible without doping those days?

One of the few succesful tactical moves of that team in history, and immediately it's down to doping
You are beginning to sound like ryo.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-29-12, 05:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
What do you mean, sheds a dark light? Van der Poel was caught twice during his carreer (which makes it a bit silly to call him in the first place). A lot of riders from that era were either caught (Theunissen, Zoetemelk) or confessed on their own (Rooks, Mathieu Hermans, Peter Winnen) and said that their teams provided the doping. What does a stupid reaction by Van der Poel add to that?
agreed.
my bad, i wasn't aware of his positives.
Old 11-29-12, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
All this denial coming from a country where dope is legal?

Now we know how to say Omerta in Dutch.

Dave.
lol, everybody is an expert but nobody knows the true facts. what country are you talking about? because dope is illegal in the Netherlands. they have some of the lowest rates of drug abuse/addiction in the world. virtually no prescription abuse (as compared to what is going on in the USA with scripts). drugs are much harder to find here than any big city in America. they all ride bicycles instead of driving cars and for such a small country with no land or resources, they constantly churn out some amazing athletes.
and I think Van der Poel's answer was by far the most honest: "I'm not going to take this nonsense. Journalism has cause more than enough damage to the sport, by digging into the past. I never read any positive stories about the present. Good afternoon.”

Old 11-29-12, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
You have to wonder about his kids...
Yes, if I were Mathieu van der Poel and my father reacted this way to doping questions I wouldn't be happy, let's put it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
You are beginning to sound like ryo.
To use the words of Adri van der Poel: I'm not going to take that nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
All this denial coming from a country where dope is legal?

Now we know how to say Omerta in Dutch.

Dave.
Ah, the ole "everyone in Holland is on drugs" joke. It didn't take long. I'm happy to inform that this country has a (far) smaller drugs problem than the US of A.

Last edited by theyoungest; 11-29-12 at 07:31.
Old 11-29-12, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbleStoner View Post
lol, everybody is an expert but nobody knows the true facts. what country are you talking about? because dope is illegal in the Netherlands. they have some of the lowest rates of drug abuse/addiction in the world. virtually no prescription abuse (as compared to what is going on in the USA with scripts). drugs are much harder to find here than any big city in America. they all ride bicycles instead of driving cars and for such a small country with no land or resources, they constantly churn out some amazing athletes.
You're flattering yourself. Many things that are illegal in the Netherlands that the police and legal system simply won't follow through, like marijuana. If one characteristic shines through dutch culture it is liberalism, and often that includes turning a blind eye to things that are illegal but everyone does or knows of people doing. Including drugs in sport.

And the number of amazing athletes? Come on. "Amazing" in what way? And what main stream sports? And compared with Australia/New Zealand and population sizes?

And one could argue that Mart Smeets by continuing to be 'liberal' with the truth has done significant damage to the way people understand/tolerate pro-cycling in the Netherlands.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Last edited by Tinman; 11-29-12 at 08:17.
Old 11-29-12, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
And the number of amazing athletes? Come on. "Amazing" in what way? And what main stream sports? And compared with Australia/New Zealand and population sizes?
Korfbal aside, let's see:

1. Field hockey - both women and men (similar to Oz)
2. Speed skating (one of the strongest countries in the World)
3. Football (last Euro aside)
4. Sailing (stronger than Oz and NZ)
5. Baseball
6. Swimming (a bit stronger than Oz on recent performances)

Having lived in The Netherlands for 7 years, the external picture of drugs doesn't match the truth in terms of recreational use (except for tourists).

There are some strange things in the country, but the same can be said of every country.

The Dutch in my view are no better or no worse than anyone else in relation to the use of PEDs (perhaps better than some countries teams over the last 15-20 years, but not many).

Last edited by peterst6906; 11-29-12 at 08:48.
Old 11-29-12, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterst6906 View Post
Korfbal aside, let's see:

1. Field hockey - both women and men (similar to Oz)
2. Speed skating (one of the strongest countries in the World) 5 countries or so doing this on a long track LOL
3. Football (last Euro aside) - never won anything of note, always team dynamic issues, but yes certainly talent. But compare to real football eg All Black rugby LOL
4. Sailing (stronger than Oz and NZ) - you make me laugh here, no comment required if you somewhat know the sailing scene in both ANZ & Holland. As much as the dutch pride themselves for this, no comparison who are the better sailing nations
5. Baseball - another major world sport this one
6. Swimming (a bit stronger than Oz on recent performances) - how old are you? Lets do a medal count for the last 15 years for worlds and olympics: no comparison

Having lived in The Netherlands for 7 years, the external picture of drugs doesn't match the truth in terms of recreational use (except for tourists). Agree, but Cobblestoner's original comment was about the law and its follow through

There are some strange things in the country, but the same can be said of every country.

The Dutch in my view are no better or no worse than anyone else in relation to the use of PEDs (perhaps better than some countries teams over the last 15-20 years, but not many).Agree, but with regard to tolerating it I would say the dutch public is probably worse than most, only secondary to the southern europeans.
my post was in reply to Cobblestoner's comment on tolerating PEDs. The supposed athleticism is secondary. So much for "true facts"

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-29-12, 09:27

I think you don't realize how big football is in non-colonies of the UK.