The 2013 CQ Ranking Manager Game - Page 7 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 11-28-12, 09:40

Alright, a quick update. We currently have 9 teams participating (well, perhaps 10 as I can see that I have one unread notification...), and a total of 165 unique riders. No rider has been picked by all teams, and 9 riders have been picked by more 5 or more teams.

Last edited by Hugo Koblet; 11-28-12 at 10:26.
Old 11-28-12, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric8-A View Post
I'm sure Anton will be on alot of people's teams next year.
I thought he was good value at 634 but oddly have my doubts about picking him at 436
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 11-29-12, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
Since this is NOT the name dropping thread I will not reveal here if Igor is one of my returning four. I am however struggling for which of the younger (born 88 or later) Euskaltel riders to pick. I expect there will probably be two but are still considering who has the most room for improvement. And this was maybe quite close to name dropping anyway
I was also going to pick one of the Euskaltel youngsters for my team this year, but I ended up choosing someone else. I forgot who though
Old 11-29-12, 14:44

Just out of curiosity, why did you stop using the CQmanager.net site for downloads?

Wasnt that the reason we created that website? The site is up and running and you and everyone else still have access to it.

Not sure if you have some kind of negative feelings against me, perhaps you thing that I was trying to take away your toy but quite honestly, you were gone for most of the year and we kept the game running when you were not around.

just saying ...
Old 11-29-12, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQmanager View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you stop using the CQmanager.net site for downloads?

Wasnt that the reason we created that website? The site is up and running and you and everyone else still have access to it.

Not sure if you have some kind of negative feelings against me, perhaps you thing that I was trying to take away your toy but quite honestly, you were gone for most of the year and we kept the game running when you were not around.

just saying ...
Uh..

No, I have no negative feelings at all, I don't know why you would think that. I appreciate the help during the season and personally I love the website and the potential it has, but I got the feeling that you would take it down when most said that they preferred the Excel file over the website. That's why I just uploaded the file on another site as I actually thought the website was already taken down.

Last edited by Hugo Koblet; 11-29-12 at 15:09.
Old 11-29-12, 15:29

I'm hoping that the website will be updated with the some of the same information for the 2013 game. ie how many times each rider is picked, who has picked each rider. As I find this information very useful, when comparing how well I'm doing compared to those around me between updates, and who I should be rooting for between two riders on my team, depending on who else has each rider. Its great to get the download from there if I need it and I find its useful to occasionally check the standings there if Im not on my own PC. If it is extra work fro CQM to update each week, maybe just one a month or even just after each GT.

If I could be particularly picky I would quite like the riders on each team listed in cost order as per the spreadsheet rather than alphabetically.

Thank you for both your efforts.
Old 11-29-12, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post
I'm hoping that the website will be updated with the some of the same information for the 2013 game. ie how many times each rider is picked, who has picked each rider. As I find this information very useful, when comparing how well I'm doing compared to those around me between updates, and who I should be rooting for between two riders on my team, depending on who else has each rider. Its great to get the download from there if I need it and I find its useful to occasionally check the standings there if Im not on my own PC. If it is extra work fro CQM to update each week, maybe just one a month or even just after each GT.

If I could be particularly picky I would quite like the riders on each team listed in cost order as per the spreadsheet rather than alphabetically.

I agree with you. I would like the website to stay online but I thought cqmanager was going to take it down.

Your last wish has already been fullfilled
Old 11-29-12, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post

CQ website, and every website and every database for that matter, including our site is based on some unique ID. In this case "riderID". If you view any rider on the CQ website, you will see that ID displayed in the url.

Unfortunately, Hugo's excel has no IDs (or UCI licence number) that would be matching with CQ download and the excel is based on names as unique identifier and therefore it is very hard to transfer all excel info to our website database especially when the names are not matching with CQ website and on many occasions are misspelled.

I do respect the majority vote for the excel file and it is what it is. IMHO we are going backwards and in stead of improving the website and making the game better, we are going back to 90's using excel file.

Hopefully some of you will pick up the slack when Hugo is nowhere to be seen and will do the excel updates again

Also hoping that Hugo will figure out how to run the GT games through excel
Old 11-30-12, 07:33

I'll be around for the majority of the year just like this year, and if I'm gone for a week or two once in a while, I'm sure someone else is willing to take over.

I don't know yet if I will do any GT games. Perhaps, but if not, then everyone else is of course free to do it.
Old 11-30-12, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQmanager View Post
CQ website, and every website and every database for that matter, including our site is based on some unique ID. In this case "riderID". If you view any rider on the CQ website, you will see that ID displayed in the url.

Unfortunately, Hugo's excel has no IDs (or UCI licence number) that would be matching with CQ download and the excel is based on names as unique identifier and therefore it is very hard to transfer all excel info to our website database especially when the names are not matching with CQ website and on many occasions are misspelled.

I do respect the majority vote for the excel file and it is what it is. IMHO we are going backwards and in stead of improving the website and making the game better, we are going back to 90's using excel file.

Hopefully some of you will pick up the slack when Hugo is nowhere to be seen and will do the excel updates again

Also hoping that Hugo will figure out how to run the GT games through excel
The beauty of the spreadsheet, is players can update it themselves from the cqranking download (so Hugo being understandably unavailable for a week or two, doesnt have a major impact). If I'm having a particularly good week I sometimes input the riders' new values myself to do my own unofficial update.

I think everyone appreciates your work on the website (and its a shame if you dont realise this), and I'm note sure people were necessary choosing Excel in an either/or situation, just for providing their team and for the updates. I can appreciate that without inputting our teams through the website that makes (it would seem) it not worthwhile to provide the data you did for 2012. And that is fair enough.

Perhaps if Hugo (and I dont think he necessarily feels any ownership of them) doesnt go ahead with GT games perhaps yourself and say Armchair Cyclist could do just these games on the website, while still giving Hugo the platform to host the downloads.

I think I can understand why Hugo didnt think to put his recent downloads on the website as you seem to be stepping back, as your recent comments seem to confirm.