Armstrong's financial situation - Page 31 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-29-12, 10:54

Jumping into the end of a long thread which I haven't read completely, but do we know whether Livestrong have cut all financial links with Armstrong, rather than just sacking him from his job on the board?
For instance, are we sure he is not still receiving appearance money, expenses, licence fees, use of facilities (e.g. cars, planes, IT, staff), healthcare, pension contributions, golden parachutes etc etc?
Old 11-29-12, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Jumping into the end of a long thread which I haven't read completely, but do we know whether Livestrong have cut all financial links with Armstrong, rather than just sacking him from his job on the board?
For instance, are we sure he is not still receiving appearance money, expenses, licence fees, use of facilities (e.g. cars, planes, IT, staff), healthcare, pension contributions, golden parachutes etc etc?
We don't know. When he stayed on the Board after resigning as Chairman the Board probably worked out all those details. Would be fun to review the Board's corporate records for that period.
Old 11-29-12, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Well the previous reports had him receiving none of those things, so I'd say it's unlikely that they're going to show something different now.
Old 11-29-12, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
Well I thought that was one of my funnier lines.

But, to your point, I hope not. And, I actually think not.

Not because Lance wouldn't want to, but more because he appears to be taking advice and is hiding out in dugout canoes on remote tropical islands.

Probably to be closer to his kids, right?

Dave.
It's about the kids is it? Well I guess so.....

He was in that Canoe with no shirt and a full homeless look.

Did you happen to see the photo's posted in this thread yesterday?
Old 11-29-12, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.
Right on the Money, Glen. I don't like Armstrong for what he did in cycling, and how he conducted himself. But I hate Armstrong for the fact he hid behind, and profited off a "charity" for cancer. That is far worse than all the doping, cheating and bullying he did.
Old 11-29-12, 17:22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Add in the fact many people intuitively understand it's a scam and they want to run a scam that big themselves and he becomes a person of interest.
I am not convinced the "non cycling" public actually see it as that much of a scam. A lot of people have said "well they all dope in cycling don't they?" as if to say "so what is the big deal with Armstrong?"
"he won the same way everyone does, so why blame him for that?, and anyway he does a lot for cancer"

I have seen a lot of posts like that on newspaper articles (which is more the kind of place that public comments. So I doubt if the public judge him as harshly as cyclists do. It would be interesting to see a recent public survey. The trouble is most that would enter that survey would be cycling related people, and so it would distort the perception of public view.

I am guessing his public rating plummeted the day he published the "laying around" picture with the jerseys. - rubbing his oppositions noses in it

Last edited by mountainrman; 11-29-12 at 17:25.
Old 11-29-12, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.

This has been the intuition of many many people. Personally, from the first cortisone positive he was highly suspicious. And then all the sudden change in abilities combined with vigorous denials led me to believe that he had the foundation set up to provide an unassailable measure of character and integrity. Circling back to the topic of this thread, the current radio silence leads me to believe things are happening behind the scenes. Bet the check book has a few new, big entries .....[/QUOTE]

Bingo.
It warms my heart to see this dawning on folks.

The "too much good for too many people" comment was the signal for me to wish the worst upon him,
Old 11-29-12, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
I am not convinced the "non cycling" public actually see it as that much of a scam. A lot of people have said "well they all dope in cycling don't they?" as if to say "so what is the big deal with Armstrong?"
"he won the same way everyone does, so why blame him for that?, and anyway he does a lot for cancer"

I have seen a lot of posts like that on newspaper articles (which is more the kind of place that public comments. So I doubt if the public judge him as harshly as cyclists do. It would be interesting to see a recent public survey. The trouble is most that would enter that survey would be cycling related people, and so it would distort the perception of public view.
Hmmm, BPC does not see a problem. BIg surprise.

This is why we should concentrate on spreading the word about Armstrong's non-doping behavior. Let people try to dismiss Armstrong telling people Emma O'Reily was a team prostitute because she talked to a journalist. Remind people how he ratted out riders who were doing better than him.
Old 11-29-12, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OUUP2 View Post
Right on the Money, Glen. I don't like Armstrong for what he did in cycling, and how he conducted himself. But I hate Armstrong for the fact he hid behind, and profited off a "charity" for cancer. That is far worse than all the doping, cheating and bullying he did.
The other issue is he was fully prepared to dismantle the anti-doping system to get himself off. His Federal suit if successful would have destroyed anti-doping.
Old 12-01-12, 01:05

Thanks to FluxCapacity for posting in the general LA thread a link to an interview with Jeff Tillotson, a lawyer in the SCA case.

Tillotson would not confirm or deny the offer of $1 million, they have agreed not to talk publicly about any deals, which only makes sense.

He was asked to rate his chances of collecting some of the money, and he said 60-70%. Usually either side in a case expresses great optimism about winning, so it seems to me Tillotson is conceding that this is not going to be a slam dunk. The interviewer brought up the same point I made here a few weeks ago. If the case hinges on whether LA was the official winner of the Tour, LA can argue that he was at that time. He isn't now, but he was then, and it was on the basis of then that the payout was made.

Tillotson countered with the point Hog made here, that the wins were made fraudulently, against the rules of the time, and so should never have been considered wins in the first place. He gave the example of an insurance company paying for an accident which later turns out to be phony. I guess the best analogy would be someone who intentionally burns his house down to collect the insurance. But he didn’t sound to me to be brimming with confidence with this argument, only that it was “the better” one. In the house burning situation, there is language in the contract specifically voiding payment in the case of arson, so it’s very clear-cut. In the SCA contract, AFAIK there was no such specific language, so Tillotson is having to rely on a principle, that it was “understood” that they were assuming the Tour would be won cleanly. This is a good argument, but it is not as certain as one based on specific language.

He did point out, as others here have emphasized, that their ace in the hole is that LA does not want to be cross-examined about his drug use, so will do almost anything to avoid a trial. The one thing we can be quite certain about is that there will be a settlement, LA will pay them something. Whether it's somewhere close to the $12 million at stake, or a lot less, though, remains to be seen.