Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5311  
Old 11-28-12, 23:40
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Glenn, did you move to Canada when Obama was reelected?
i think glenn left when mitt got the nod.
Reply With Quote
  #5312  
Old 11-29-12, 11:53
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Do they still have Canadian Tire money?
Yes they do. I have a wallet full of the stuff and it is like pessos. I have about 15 notes that = to about 2.50 in Canadian Tire money. I will spend it tonight because I want to buy some SALT and a better Snow Shovel.
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #5313  
Old 11-29-12, 12:12
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Glenn, did you move to Canada when Obama was reelected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
i think glenn left when mitt got the nod.
Hugh you trying to make fun of my GUNS? Anyhow Obama did not force me out of the USA into the Nort country of Canada. It had more to do with the almighty dollar and the US dollar value shrinking on a daily basis made my decision allot easier. The offer was too good to refuse and I do like to work on a project when it is deemed "monumental" by the Offshore industry in general.

Patrick you're correct in some ways because, I knew that the party stood ZERO chance with the mittons and what a lost chance. To bad the nut bags have totally seized control of the Republican party. You can't tell what in the hell they are about anymore. Side track issues that should never ever be allowed to come up for elections.

I went offshore last weekend and it was bitter cold. I will rethink the next Helicopter trip until next August when it finally warms up here. Not to mention either last year or the year before one of these wonderful death defying machines ditched and everyone perished except for one lucky soul. I don't want to take to many chances. The odds are against me.

The sky dropped a blanket of snow last night at just about the time for me to drive! Thank's to the republic errrrrr province here they allow studded snow tires. Very good especially for the hills.
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #5314  
Old 11-29-12, 15:10
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Defense is as much an entitlement as any other program we have.

Gut it already and quit whining.
Yep, let's gut it. I don't think this is necessary:

http://pgpf.org/Chart-Archive/0053_d...omparison.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #5315  
Old 11-29-12, 15:46
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,924
Default

I'm absolutely fascinated! I had no idea Glenn had left the wackos from Waco for the commies of Calgary.

Before we get told off for straying too far...I'd like to continue with this....how about we start a 'Glenn's adventures with socialism' or some such title, wherein we can interact with Glenn and Blutto about life, politics, and everything, but as specifically related to the ice bound northern wastelands.

Did you take your bike?

P.S. Can you update your location please? I guess that's what confused me.
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #5316  
Old 11-29-12, 15:47
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Are you really going to tell this board that capping personal deductions to $50,000 is not a tax increase? Are you really going to suggest that?

The "wealthy" will bear the brunt of this, isn't that what you want? Did you read the article regarding the British Millionaires disappearing after taxes were raised there? How do you suppose that happened?

Hmmmmm, perhaps they took full advantage of tax loop holes and deductions? Eliminating deductions is a helluva lot more effective than raising rates. Hell, raising the rates COST the Brits 7bn pounds in lost revenue.

Yeah, that's smart.
Higher (to a point) tax rates don't hurt the economy, never have. You guys can go on and on and on about that all you want, it's not true. And as much as you guys go on and on and on about how high taxes are, the fact is that tax rates in the US right now are at a near-historical low and the federal proportion of tax revenues hasn't changed since the 1950s. So spending has increased as population increased but revenues haven't, and now that they're out of balance, you guys keep yelling that it's the spending, it's the spending. No, not all of it - we've allowed the balance to come out of whack because yes spending is too high and needs to be reigned in but more so because we keep cutting revenues.

http://bethsaidafigtree.files.wordpr...us-revenue.jpg

Up to about 2003-2004 spending and revenues were tracking one another in a fairly nice, smooth curve. And then revenues came disattached from spending <cough> Bush tax cuts <cough> and nosedived while spending continued on its merry way. And we ended up with massive deficits. And then Obama had to step in and spend massive amount on the stimulus, auto bailout, etc etc, which increased federal spending while revenues stayed about the same because Grover, er sorry, Rs refused to even consider talking about taxes.

It's both, Scott, always has been, always will be.

The whole point of addressing both sides of the equation, revenues and spending cuts, is to spread the pain as equally and fairly and possible so that everyone - rich and poor, young and elderly, whites and minorities - are impacted to a relative degree (yes, that does mean the rich will pay more than the poor) and so the burden isn't put on one or two segments of society. Up to now, the Rs want to put ALL of the burden on the poor, the middle class, minorities, the elderly, students, etc by cutting SS, Medicare, Medicaid, education, etc (but NOT defense), while the wealthy aren't impacted whatsoever because the Rs refuse to address taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #5317  
Old 11-29-12, 18:30
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Higher (to a point) tax rates don't hurt the economy, never have. You guys can go on and on and on about that all you want, it's not true. And as much as you guys go on and on and on about how high taxes are, the fact is that tax rates in the US right now are at a near-historical low and the federal proportion of tax revenues hasn't changed since the 1950s. So spending has increased as population increased but revenues haven't, and now that they're out of balance, you guys keep yelling that it's the spending, it's the spending. No, not all of it - we've allowed the balance to come out of whack because yes spending is too high and needs to be reigned in but more so because we keep cutting revenues.

http://bethsaidafigtree.files.wordpr...us-revenue.jpg

Up to about 2003-2004 spending and revenues were tracking one another in a fairly nice, smooth curve. And then revenues came disattached from spending <cough> Bush tax cuts <cough> and nosedived while spending continued on its merry way. And we ended up with massive deficits. And then Obama had to step in and spend massive amount on the stimulus, auto bailout, etc etc, which increased federal spending while revenues stayed about the same because Grover, er sorry, Rs refused to even consider talking about taxes.

It's both, Scott, always has been, always will be.

The whole point of addressing both sides of the equation, revenues and spending cuts, is to spread the pain as equally and fairly and possible so that everyone - rich and poor, young and elderly, whites and minorities - are impacted to a relative degree (yes, that does mean the rich will pay more than the poor) and so the burden isn't put on one or two segments of society. Up to now, the Rs want to put ALL of the burden on the poor, the middle class, minorities, the elderly, students, etc by cutting SS, Medicare, Medicaid, education, etc (but NOT defense), while the wealthy aren't impacted whatsoever because the Rs refuse to address taxes.
Quote:
Higher (to a point) tax rates don't hurt the economy, never have. You guys can go on and on and on about that all you want, it's not true.
If you want to pretend that this is true then be my guest. This was in the news yesterday and if you bother to look there are many more in the same vein.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49993082

Quote:
you guys keep yelling that it's the spending, it's the spending
Because it's the spending, it's the spending. Always has been and that's a slam to both parties, btw.

Quote:
The whole point of addressing both sides of the equation, revenues and spending cuts, is to spread the pain as equally and fairly and possible so that everyone - rich and poor, young and elderly, whites and minorities - are impacted to a relative degree (yes, that does mean the rich will pay more than the poor) and so the burden isn't put on one or two segments of society.
This is laughable. Those that are being provided their living today will be provided their living tomorrow. Nothing changes for them. Be honest, there's nothing equal or fair about it. A working family making less than $45,000 a year... how will they be impacted negatively in terms of taxes and/or benefits?

But I can tell you this, they are far more likely to be even more dependent on the Feds as their employment prospects may become a little dimmer.

Quote:
Up to now, the Rs want to put ALL of the burden on the poor, the middle class, minorities, the elderly, students, etc by cutting SS, Medicare, Medicaid, education, etc (but NOT defense), while the wealthy aren't impacted whatsoever because the Rs refuse to address taxes.
This is just garbage.

Medicare fraud and waste has been estimated to be as high as $100 billion per year.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...off.aspx#page1

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...ear.aspx#page1

In Cali we just raised taxes on the "rich" by about 25%. It's going to be used to fortify teacher's pensions. How nice. Meanwhile we were just voted the "worst run state" for the second consecutive year by the WSJ. Oddly, most of the worst run states are in control of dems. Wonder why?
__________________
"It makes no sense. Fire the electorate let the people speak for themselves"
Reply With Quote
  #5318  
Old 11-29-12, 18:37
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,028
Default

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/84364_Page3.html

The Rs keep saying they want specific cuts, but what are those specific cuts? No one has the foggiest, including the Rs.

Quote:
A top Democratic official said talks have stalled on this question since Obama and congressional leaders had their friendly-looking post-election session at the White House. "Republicans want the president to own the whole offer upfront, on both the entitlement and the revenue side, and that's not going to happen because the president is not going to negotiate with himself," the official said. "There's a standoff, and the staff hasn't gotten anywhere. Rob Nabors [the White House negotiator], has been saying: 'This is what we want on revenues on the down payment. What's you guys' ask on the entitlement side?' And they keep looking back at us and saying: 'We want you to come up with that and pitch us.' That's not going to happen."
"This is critically important, in large part because the fate of the talks hinge on whether Republicans get the entitlement cuts they want -- which means they'll have to figure out which entitlement cuts they want."

Yep. Basically, the Rs want Obama to come up with everything - including specific entitlement cuts - and pitch it to them. Meanwhile, Durbin and the Ds are offering at least $400 billion in entitlement cuts as a ceiling.

The Rs have no plan other than to dig in their heels on tax rates, Scott.

Pathetic that no one's talking about cutting the Pentagon's budget, though. That should be the first place to start.
Reply With Quote
  #5319  
Old 11-29-12, 18:43
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I'm absolutely fascinated! I had no idea Glenn had left the wackos from Waco for the commies of Calgary.

Before we get told off for straying too far...I'd like to continue with this....how about we start a 'Glenn's adventures with socialism' or some such title, wherein we can interact with Glenn and Blutto about life, politics, and everything, but as specifically related to the ice bound northern wastelands.

Did you take your bike?

P.S. Can you update your location please? I guess that's what confused me.
LMAO @ your wackos for commies comment.

I did not go to Calgary, but yes it is Canada. I will update my location.

I do have my bike. It went out at lunch today but only for an hour. I was frozen but had a great wet ride.

Yes the thread idea is great as long as Blutto agrees. I have to be careful how my socialist brother Blutto takes to the fact that I sneaked into the country without his knowledge! Remember he said that he would alert the border agents of the possibility.

By the way it is CRAZY to see commercials on the local TV or Air Canada about taking a Holiday down in CUBA! Oh my goodness doesn't the folks here know that Cuba is a Commie playground and a Socialist safe heaven?????
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #5320  
Old 11-29-12, 19:01
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/84364_Page3.html

The Rs keep saying they want specific cuts, but what are those specific cuts? No one has the foggiest, including the Rs.

"This is critically important, in large part because the fate of the talks hinge on whether Republicans get the entitlement cuts they want -- which means they'll have to figure out which entitlement cuts they want."

Yep. Basically, the Rs want Obama to come up with everything - including specific entitlement cuts - and pitch it to them. Meanwhile, Durbin and the Ds are offering at least $400 billion in entitlement cuts as a ceiling.

The Rs have no plan other than to dig in their heels on tax rates, Scott.

Pathetic that no one's talking about cutting the Pentagon's budget, though. That should be the first place to start.

Where's the President's plan? You know, the leader of the country? The commander-in-chief? El Presidente? King Obama?

Where's his plan?

A lot of talk out of the WH. Tax now, cut later, which means cut never.
__________________
"It makes no sense. Fire the electorate let the people speak for themselves"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.