AD Survey on Dutch riders doping - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-29-12, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
some denegration of sports that Tinman doesn't think are mainstream
OK, so 'main stream' is only measured by the definition that you apply; and it seems success in those sports is measured only by some Tinman mystery method as well.

What are those definitions by the way?

The post was nothing to do with my original post, just some additional information you asked for, irrespective who it was directed at (since the forum clearly doesn't preclude anyone offering information when a question is asked).

On the age issue, I'm no spring chicken anymore, but if you were trying to infer immaturity, keep trying. A bit more work to do yet. I must concede though that your use of 'LOL' showed your maturity. Very 1990's. It'll be cat pictures next (but please don't unless you want to send me one by pm. No need to go that far off topic)..

Last edited by peterst6906; 11-29-12 at 09:41.
Old 11-29-12, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
You're flattering yourself. Many things that are illegal in the Netherlands that the police and legal system simply won't follow through, like marijuana. If one characteristic shines through dutch culture it is liberalism, and often that includes turning a blind eye to things that are illegal but everyone does or knows of people doing. Including drugs in sport.
I don't believe CobbleStoner is flattering himself, as he is German.

Okay, now for the sports:

Quote:
1. Field hockey - both women and men (similar to Oz)
Not really a huge world sport, but yes Oz and Holland are somewhat equal.

Quote:
2. Speed skating (one of the strongest countries in the World) 5 countries or so doing this on a long track LOL
Not a huge sport either, but bigger than you think, coming from Oceania where nothing ever freezes

Quote:
3. Football (last Euro aside) - never won anything of note, always team dynamic issues, but yes certainly talent. But compare to real football eg All Black rugby LOL
The Dutch were finalists in the last football worlds. Do you have any idea how big that sport is? By far the biggest sport/tournament in the world. To compare it with rugby is just a joke. 90% of the world has never seen a rugby match.

Quote:
4. Sailing (stronger than Oz and NZ) - you make me laugh here, no comment required if you somewhat know the sailing scene in both ANZ & Holland. As much as the dutch pride themselves for this, no comparison who are the better sailing nations
I don't know much about sailing. However I do know that Holland came away with 3 medals at the last Olympics, vs 4 for Australia. Wow Oz is far superior.

Quote:
5. Baseball - another major world sport this one
It's funny, baseball isn't big at all in Holland. It is however huge in most of the nations we beat at the baseball worlds, like Cuba.

Quote:
6. Swimming (a bit stronger than Oz on recent performances) - how old are you? Lets do a medal count for the last 15 years for worlds and olympics: no comparison
Let's do a count of money invested in swimming. No comparison either.

Last edited by theyoungest; 11-29-12 at 10:29.
Old 11-29-12, 12:00
Administrator

If you want to continue with the "My country is better than yours nyah nyah nyah" discussion, take it to the Cafe. No more of it here.

Susan
Old 11-29-12, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
If you want to continue with the "My country is better than yours nyah nyah nyah" discussion, take it to the Cafe. No more of it here.

Susan
Not even if we say "my country is better at doping than yours"?
Old 11-29-12, 14:15
Administrator

Now that might be an interesting discussion... not real sure who the winner would be!

But in its own thread, not here.

Susan
Old 11-30-12, 09:28

For the record, I grew up in the Netherlands, lived there for 20 years, then another 20 combined in ANZ. Another 10 or so elsewhere. Sailing and cycling (later also triathlon) thick in my blood from early age, did some junior rugby coaching, and a bit of 400m track skating as a kid also. Australian swimming performances for the decade since around 1998 have been extraordinary, hence my jested comment about age. And yes I did experience a few soccer World and European cup disappointments also along the way, including the 1972 Holzenbein caused penalty against Germany that tipped that match. So I think all of that qualifies me somewhat in the frivolous debate which I have no intention of further stimulating.

My original reply post was (mostly) about cultural (Dutch) differences on tolerating PED's by the way...

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Last edited by Tinman; 11-30-12 at 10:11. Reason: Forgot the baseball team at school.