Tubs vs clinchers: Clinchers are faster.. - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-27-12, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKosta View Post
==================================================

Yep!
The truth is that 'everthing makes a difference', but sometimes the difference gets lost in the noise, or there are unexpected consequences that negate the anticipated change.

For example 'faster rolling tires' might result in a traction loss that requires slower corner speed.

But, 'fast rolling tires' should provide a performance improvement as long as they don't hurt other performance considerations. Whether the rider can take advantage of the improvement that the tires give is another question.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Hence what I said back here:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpos...7&postcount=55
Old 11-27-12, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsut4392 View Post
My "Gotcha" stands. Your argument boils down to "101 is not much bigger than 100, therefore 101 = 100". You can change it to "10001 = 10000", or "small difference = no difference" if you like, but in the real world it just ain't so.

If you truly believe your assertion that the bike is only 3-10% of the equation, stick some fat knobbies on for your next bunch ride (put them on your wheels or stick them up our shorts, either works for me No, I don't care whether or not they fit between your 'seat stays' ). Yes, it's an example you dismissed earlier, but it's only ludicrous because the effect is obviously large. "Of course 100 is bigger than 10, duh. That proves my math is OK! But I still insist 101 = 100!"

The "identical clone" is exactly what you have in Alex's post. He didn't say some other rider, on some other day, riding a different line, on some other course, with different power output would have been faster on a faster tire. He said one particular rider, on one particular day, riding one particular line, on one particular course, at the same power output would have been faster on a faster tire.

Regarding Hutchinson tires, we're on the same page, except that last I checked LA never won very much in his career
Much like his Bontrager wheels , the Hutchinsons normally come out for the lap of honour on the Champs.Most of the time he was riding tubulars that had been matured in the cellar of Julien De Vries.
Old 12-01-12, 20:36

Too bad a few people have to ruin a thread. It's become pointless. Please don't restart this snit in another thread, or there will be some early and long Christmas vacations.
Old 12-05-12, 02:34

Opening the thread back up after cleanup. Please stop insulting one another or it will be permanently closed and some vacations will be handed out. Thanks!
Old 12-05-12, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyarmour View Post
Alex Simmons you are wasting your time here. The evidence based approach works everywhere else except cycling apparently. I must have seen this lab vs real world argument a thousand times now. You get any result in a "test" you are meant to completely ignore it because there are lots of other variables etc etc. What's really happening is people don't understand enough about physics and the relationships between the relevant variables. We'd still be riding around on Penny Farthings if we'd paid too much attention to them.
Wait a second guys. Alex, are we talking about the difference between say, a Specialized Armadillo and a Conti GP4000? Or a Michelin Pro Race 4 and a Vittoria Corsa Evo? What was your competitor using on the day?

If it's the former, then of course there will be a difference, if it's the latter, tyre choice isn't a factor I'd be worried about. A few people on both sides are getting a bit too fired up before they have all the facts...

Last edited by 42x16ss; 12-05-12 at 07:55.
Old 12-06-12, 00:02

Default OT

Please forgive the OT post.

Have had a cordial PM exchange with Giuseppe Magnetico and he has asked me to pass on his regards to the forum, from which he is taking an unplanned break for family reasons. He hopes to rejoin us in the new year for more robust discussion of all things bike.

Meanwhile my thanks to red_flanders for cleaning up and getting us back on track.
Old 12-06-12, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsut4392 View Post
Please forgive the OT post.

Have had a cordial PM exchange with Giuseppe Magnetico and he has asked me to pass on his regards to the forum, from which he is taking an unplanned break for family reasons. He hopes to rejoin us in the new year for more robust discussion of all things bike.

Meanwhile my thanks to red_flanders for cleaning up and getting us back on track.
Well, this forum is headed into the crapper...

Who will step up and post more here?