2013 Predictions. - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-28-12, 20:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetleLunde View Post
I think that curse has been gone for a few years now, Hushovd had a pretty good season in the rainbow jersey, especially during the tour, and Cav also had a pretty decent year!

Im pretty sure that we will have a Norwegian Paris-Roubaix victory, finally. Thor vs Edvald
It's faded in the last few years but I wouldn't say it has gone away completely. Thor had a great later season but he sucked at his biggest goal, Roubaix. And Cav had a good season winning a good number of races but his biggest goals, Olympics, MSR, and green jersey, he failed to win.

So, Phil will be the one to finally rid the peloton of it .

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 11-28-12, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
It's faded in the last few years but I wouldn't say it has gone away completely. Thor had a great later season but he sucked at his biggest goal, Roubaix. And Cav had a good season winning a good number of races but his biggest goals, Olympics, MSR, and green jersey, he failed to win.

Hushovd's 2011 Roubaix was probably his best ever. Matched every one of Cancellara's attacks except for the final surprise attack. But at that point he already knew Vansummeren, his teammate, had won the race. He didn't crash once or have a flat tire in that race if I remember correctly.

And Cavendish has failed at Milan-San Remo for 3 straight years now. Hardly a curse of the rainbow.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-28-12, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post

No no he won't, he can't I didn't pick him for my cq team
Old 11-28-12, 21:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Hushovd's 2011 Roubaix was probably his best ever. Matched every one of Cancellara's attacks except for the final surprise attack. But at that point he already knew Vansummeren, his teammate, had won the race. He didn't crash once or have a flat tire in that race if I remember correctly.

And Cavendish has failed at Milan-San Remo for 3 straight years now. Hardly a curse of the rainbow.
I wouldn’t say it was his best; all he really did was suck wheel on Cancellara and refuse to take a turn on the front. Sure he had a teammate up the road so there was no reason for him to contribute to the chase, but by not contributing he effectively eliminated his chances of winning the only race he cares about. His tactics were good, and he didn't have any problems, but IMHO he raced a cowardly race in 2011. As for Cav, MSR was still one of his goals. And we can still contribute not winning the Olympics and not getting green to the curse (I would add losing the points jersey to Purito at the Giro as well).
So like I said, we can still see signs of the curse, but not as much as we have seen in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
No no he won't, he can't I didn't pick him for my cq team
I'm counting on Phil to win the game for me .

Old 11-29-12, 00:05

He lost the green jersey because he didn't have a team built around him and he lost the Olympics because he overestimated the strength of his own team. 4 men can't control an entire event without the help of others. That's just logic and has nothing to do with a curse lol.

What I call the rainbow curse is cyclists cracking under the pressure of the increased (media) attention. Or being marked more in the peloton. Or just a combination of all these factors.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-29-12, 01:01
Administrator

Quote:
He lost the green jersey because he didn't have a team built around him and he lost the Olympics because he overestimated the strength of his own team. 4 men can't control an entire event without the help of others. That's just logic and has nothing to do with a curse lol.

What I call the rainbow curse is cyclists cracking under the pressure of the increased (media) attention. Or being marked more in the peloton. Or just a combination of all these factors.
Of course their are more defined reasons for why a race doesn't go according to plan (like the strength of the team or where the teams priorities lie), but whose to say a curse can't play a part in the team not being strong enough to deliver their guy to the win. I'm sure a more defined reason can be found for why Ballan didn't perform when he was WC. I think a curse can easily be seen as playing a role in why Cav did not win his biggest targets this season.

But then again, look what we are discussing here, a superstition .

Old 11-29-12, 01:22

Quote:

He lost the giro points jersey by a point having suffered 2 setbacks in crashes (neither his fault). Sounds to me.like a curse
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-30-12, 07:04

Quote:

Cadel crashing in the 2010 TDF is an example, not just the media pressure.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-30-12, 14:58

Quote:
It's not just the pressure of media attention. I read an article on Gilbert a few weeks ago and he said that it was a lot more difficult for him to train since everybody recognizes him with the rainbow jersey and he gives interview almost every day.

Also, since the World champion is under such scrutiny, every bad moment for him will be exaggerated and linked to the curse, but every good moment will just seem normal.
Old 11-30-12, 15:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Giro: Wiggins, Hesjedal, Nibali
Tour: Schleck, Froome, Zubeldia
Vuelta: Cobo, Rodriguez, Valverde
Cobo...looool
the doping era is hopefully over...