Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen? - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-29-12, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post

On the orther side of the arguement Colnago have probably never had a recall in part because they are not US based and sht scared of liability and being sued.
Those Italian courts can be be pretty punitive with respect to perceived negligence, though. Those seismologists that they threw in jail for failing to predict an earthquake found out the hard way. The Italian justice system went after Williams engineers and management following the Senna crash, too. These were criminal cases, not civil ones.

Last edited by winkybiker; 11-29-12 at 14:41. Reason: Addition
Old 11-29-12, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
On the orther side of the arguement Colnago have probably never had a recall in part because they are not US based and sht scared of liability and being sued.
Then Ernesto should stop sponsoring Gran Fondos here.

Drop Colnago-America a line and tell them of your legal concerns.
1528 W. Adams Street
Suite 403
Chicago, IL 60607
USA

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 12-01-12 at 23:51.
Old 11-30-12, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
Those Italian courts can be be pretty punitive with respect to perceived negligence, though. Those seismologists that they threw in jail for failing to predict an earthquake found out the hard way. The Italian justice system went after Williams engineers and management following the Senna crash, too. These were criminal cases, not civil ones.
Punitive yes, but in a completely haphazard and illogical way. For these two examples of unjust persecution of perceived negligence there must be a thousand cases of ordinary negligence brushed under the carpet (with or without greasing of palms).
Have you been to Italy? I love the place, but quality assurance isn't exactly ingrained in the national psyche! It would grind to a halt for years if 1/10 the rules they actually have were ever enforced.
Picking up a hire car at Fiumicino the chirpy rental agent points at a scratch and smiles, "no problem", points at a dent, "no PROBLEM, kicks a new dent in the car, smiles, "NO PROBLEM, OK?", and crosses out the diagram of the car on the hire receipt. And it wasn't an old car from a dodgy agent, this was Europcar and it only had a couple of thousand clicks on the clock. Driving in Rome I was grateful, but it was only when we got to Napoli I truly understood [by the way, if you see a road sign which says "max <-1.5m->", it's probably trying to say your car won't fit - our Lancia barely did, with both mirrors folded in I just nicked one and the other cleared by half a centimetre!].

Have no opinion about the relative quality of Colnago, and the fact they are at least nominally Italian doesn't really influence my view on that either. I would say that to assert a correlation between number of product recalls and average product quality from a manufacturer is showing a poor understanding of quality assurance. The cr4ppiest product out there can have no recalls if the manufacturer doesn't care. And some very high quality products can be recalled by a meticulous (or litigation wary) manufacturer.

Back to the OP, my LBS had a nice looking matt black Scott with full DA and Lightweight Obermayr wheel set on it for under $9k sitting in the window. Frame wasn't my size
Old 12-01-12, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker jk View Post
Yes, Giant do produce the M10, along with the CX-1 and CLX-3. Which begs the question of why these frames cost so much more than a Giant? I don't believe it's R&D or marketing, since Giant would spend significantly on these. Possibly due to low production runs by Colnago versus Giant but that's only a small part of the price difference. The rest is branding (perceived versus real superiority in quality).
You are correct that the two triangles of the CX-1 are made by Giant in Taiwan, but they are assembled and "tuned" in the process (and painted, of course like all other Colnagos) at Cambiago Lombardia.

C59 is still manufactured entirely in Italy. Likewise steel Masters which are all special order these days.

Monocoques and alu are manufactured entirely in Taiwan, although painted in Italy so as to claim the 50% value-add required to lawfully enable the "fatto in Italia" designation.
Old 12-01-12, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Bwaaaaah ha-ha Are you having a heroin relapse again?

... Actually, word on the street is that the C59 is on it's way out in one or two more seasons. ... If you've noticed there are none, or very minimal Chinese knock-offs of Colnago, not even the M10, the rest of the brands are copied to no end.
Si, it's true. C59 will be replaced with a new ground-up design more suited to disc (although the new frame will also have caliper mounts unless/until (lol) UCI make disc legal). Timing is unknown at this stage, as it depends when Shimano and Campagnolo commit to production of disc brakes. Word is that Shimano are rushing through first-gen cable disc brakes for a 2013 Di2 update, whereas Campag are working on getting hydraulic EPS right. No surprises there.

On your other comment, I too have never seen a Chinese knock off Colnago. Why is this so?
Old 12-01-12, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
... Pretty straight forward to me. The Ernesto fanboyz make some interesting theories though.
Well durian, THIS Ernesto fanboy is quicker than you on a number of longer climbs on Strava (not, I'll admit, on the shorter 15%+ walls where you are more or less unbeatable against all comers - chapeau on that)

Beppe, here's a real one I found on eBay, Buckler colours too

Old 12-01-12, 08:22

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

I like that colour way. Hats off to Colnago for really getting creative with their frame colours. They were the first bikes I knew of on a mass level with fancy paint works.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 12-01-12, 08:30

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
If these Colnago's are made by Giant this is a good thing.Giant has an excellent reputation and a slightly conservative approach to engineering lightweight frames , as does Colnago.
Many other high end brands (Cervelo,Specialized)could have their frames made by Giant but instead choose China purely for the cost saving not for the quality.
Looks like Giant has 2 production lines. One with the experienced workers making the frames with life time warranty and the other lines make the euro branded stuff with poor warranty. That line is for the work experience kids on leave from school. Prison inmates potentially too.

Anyone find a lollypop/bubblegum wrapper stuffed in their Colnago Seat tube?

I remember pulling my DA BB out of my Avanti Team Corsa back in 99 and someone had engraved a smiley face with the words 'HI!'. I thought that was pretty cool.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 12-01-12, 11:10

I am in the market for a good riad frame soon.If we are talking about value for money high end road frames,I would put Giant TCR top followed by Canyon.
Old 12-01-12, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
You are correct that the two triangles of the CX-1 are made by Giant in Taiwan, but they are assembled and "tuned" in the process (and painted, of course like all other Colnagos) at Cambiago Lombardia.

C59 is still manufactured entirely in Italy. Likewise steel Masters which are all special order these days.

Monocoques and alu are manufactured entirely in Taiwan, although painted in Italy so as to claim the 50% value-add required to lawfully enable the "fatto in Italia" designation.
How long has that been the case? On the Colnago website it still says "available in 16 sizes and 3 color variations"--nothing about special order (not saying you're wrong, just surprise that this bike, which is still very popular--I see them around Seattle pretty often--would be special order only).