2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-28-12, 18:51

Closer than I anticipated though - the often unusual results thrown up by the first race of the season meant some intriguing results.

Impressive showings from Lesser and Bjøntegaard, perhaps taking advantage of a bit better race fitness after participating in the mixed relay, while it's too early to say anything, but the Austrians already look like being more threatening than they were for most of 2011-12. But, then again, Sumi and Mesotitsch haven't exactly hit the ground running. Svendsen looks slick and ready to contend. And how about Henrik L'Abee-Lund's ski times? Shipulin as well - very quick.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-28-12, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
And how about Henrik L'Abee-Lund's ski times?
Quite surprising, that one. I had heard that he had improved during the summer, but didn't expect him to be faster than Fourcade...After all, he was amongst the slowest last year. Seems like his improvement in speed has caused a decrease in accuracy, though.
Old 11-29-12, 18:55

Maybe he's this year's shock transforming Norwegian, after Synnøve Solemdal last year. She, however, had a bit of a shocker today, 6 misses and over 7 mins down. Berger wins by virtue of clean shooting and being so much faster than the likes of Glazyrina that it isn't funny, while some very impressive ski times from Mäkäräinen and Gößner keep them competitive despite 4 misses - Domracheva must surely have had the fastest ski time, a minute up on Berger though (I've not seen the figures for ski times yet), about as shocking as the results of the recent inquest into the Pope's religious preferences. Very impressed by Gabriela Soukalova too - didn't expect her to post a time like that with 3 misses on the table.

Old 12-01-12, 13:17

Great skiing from Peiffer, even better from Svendsen. Good but not great from Fourcade.

But Alexis Boeuf and Florian Graf both excellent, very impressive. L'Abée-Lund's ski times continue to astound in the same way as Synnøve Solemdal's did last year. But Leguellec! Leguellec! What a performance! Solid on the skis, but while all around him were losing their heads (Bjørndalen missed 4 from stand, Bergman 5, Svendsen 3, etc) he shot all 10 targets and Canada are probably going to win!

Old 12-02-12, 12:10

damn insanse finale by grande poltoranin and vylegzhanin. great race
Old 12-03-12, 15:46

I wished so badly for Vylegzhanin to take that one... what a final kilometer that was.
Old 12-03-12, 19:18

Looks like the fastest three men in Östersund this week were Emil Hegle Svendsen, Martin Fourcade and Lars Berger, which is not surprising. Svendsen had a much better range time than Fourcade (by 4 seconds) but a lower accuracy, which enabled Martin to make up the differences. After Berger, the next fastest was Shipulin, which bodes well for the Russian's season.

The statistics also bear out that shooting is more important in the women's competition than the men's (perhaps unsurprisingly, with longer time taken to complete the penalty loop and shorter skiing laps), as despite winning all three races at the weekend Tora Berger is not one of the fastest 3 women - in fact, the only one that picked up major results at the weekend at all is Darya Domracheva, who was the third fastest (!). However, we can probably anticipate Dasha has something left in the tank as form increases. The fastest were Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Miriam Gößner, but both were let down by far too much inaccurate shooting. This is perhaps not surprising for the latter, but Mäkäräinen must surely be able to improve significantly in this area. The next quickest, Synnøve Solemdal, also didn't accumulate a stellar record at the event.

Old 12-03-12, 20:54

Even if i don't have the same affection for kazakhs in the winter sports as in cycling, i have to say that Poltaranin is ****ing awesome to look at in the classic (?) races

And Nordthug is one hell of a fighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 12-04-12, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post

And Nordthug is one hell of a fighter!
yep, fighter

the finns uncovered this cluster from the past weekend

http://www.hevoskuuri.fi/hiihto/3563-kas-nain-hiihtaa-petter-ja-petter-hiihtaa-nain?fb_action_ids=10151243349447936&fb_action_typ es=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_objec t_map={%2210151243349447936%22%3A439842872730809}& action_type_map={%2210151243349447936%22%3A%22og.l ikes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Old 12-07-12, 11:44

Birnbacher and Fourcade are still the best. Very close duel again today.

But man, the Norwegians have completely lost it. 2 years ago they won more or less every race, now they're not even in the top 10. It's not that they're slower, but they've all collectively forgotten completely how to shoot.