Levi: "There's more to be said..." - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-30-12, 17:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babastooey View Post
In a way I kind of feel bad for Levi. If he had been with Garmin, he would still have a job right now...
I don't feel bad for him. And I'm not a Levi hater. I actually like the guy somewhat. I just believe you have to sleep in the bed you make. You, me, everyone. He made some poor decisions on his own, and now he has to live with them. And I never got the impression he was anything close to broke. He'll also come out of this fairly unscathed when the dust settles.

And I don't think the TOC or racing today is clean. Cleaner than a decade ago? Yes, no question. Clean racers able to compete? Probably. But that's as far as I'll go.
Old 12-01-12, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post
I agree to a certain extent. I dislike Levi, and I've made that clear many times, but I can understand his frustration that he's hard working but just wasn't born with the required talent to be a GT contender. Maybe he felt justified in leveling a playing field made uneven by genetics.

Who knows. He's still a d-bag.
A lot more venom in this thread then I normally like to participate in, but you know, Levi just isn't coming out of this looking like an all-american good guy, you know? First off he was cheating, and making a name for himself as one of the "new American hopes" in a "post-LA" "clean" era. 2nd was his statement this year - even more open-ended and noncommital to currently riding clean than anybody else. Weaselly, if ya kno wut I mean.

Now this - well what kind of threat or promise is this? **** man, if you've got a mouthful, spit it out! But the folks thinking he won't say more until he knows his days in the peloton are over are probably right. His actions indicate a very business-like and practical approach to the whole ethics question. Meaning, "what's in it for me?"
Old 12-01-12, 15:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I don't feel bad for him. And I'm not a Levi hater. I actually like the guy somewhat. I just believe you have to sleep in the bed you make. You, me, everyone. He made some poor decisions on his own, and now he has to live with them. And I never got the impression he was anything close to broke. He'll also come out of this fairly unscathed when the dust settles.

And I don't think the TOC or racing today is clean. Cleaner than a decade ago? Yes, no question. Clean racers able to compete? Probably. But that's as far as I'll go.

Casar hit the nail on the head. The whole era is a mess and a waste. No one knows who did what and who was good or not.

Quote:
“We can’t know what might have happened in other circumstances. When a whole team is doped, it can control or block a race, it can pull back breakaways,” Casar said. “Maybe I sometimes even benefited from their work without knowing it. In effect, everything was falsified. One of the terrible things about doping is that we don’t know who really was good and who wasn’t.”

Last edited by thehog; 12-01-12 at 15:17.
Old 12-01-12, 17:10

Since Levi was sanctioned in 1996, and now again, why doesn't the repeat offender clause kick in and why is he not banned for life? or is it 4 years for a second offense?
Old 12-01-12, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
And I never got the impression he was anything close to broke.
Without any future income he may end up there. Have you ever seen how many animals he has to feed?
Old 12-01-12, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Since Levi was sanctioned in 1996, and now again, why doesn't the repeat offender clause kick in and why is he not banned for life? or is it 4 years for a second offense?
It looks like his career is over, anyway. Besides, he deserves a reward for snitching off the biggest cycling cheating conspiracy (until the next one).
Old 12-01-12, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
deserves a reward
Setup a donation drive, perhaps there will be enough for a new bronze statue.
Old 12-01-12, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
of course they don't condone what I did, and I don't condone what I did.

But, it's great to have a healthy bank balance stealing from honest athletes isn't it Levi?

But I told the truth and I think they can appreciate that.

You should all appreciate the fact I had a nice, long career in Pro Cycling cheating honest and perhaps more talented guys out of a spot in the elite peloton and now I get to promote fun rides in Santa Rosa. Cool! right?!

But, let's skip over my bad deeds and sell UCI athlete PR line #1 at an elite event that had no testing, "the peloton is cleaner than ever"

It takes perjury charges for this guy to tell some truth. I wouldn't trust him to take my trash out to the curb.
The more all the confession/ catharsis settles in the more I am thinking this way exactly.
(Along these lines I am irritated and disgusted reading that Tommy D is peddling luxury camps in Malibu with Hollywood types)

No one forced Levi to dope and accept a lot of money and high profile spoils...

Jeezus , I'm tired of all these riders whinging!

There are so many clean cyclists of integrity that lost their chances forever to excel and earn a living.

Shut up or put it out there Levi.
Go get a job.
Old 12-01-12, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post

He's still a d-bag.

________________________ Pretty Lame.
Old 12-02-12, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
Besides, he deserves a reward for snitching off the biggest cycling cheating conspiracy.
He already had it all: wins, money, attention. And don’t forget, that he just tried to survive in the avalanche.

Best time to apologise, say thank you and quit.