Weight loss? Whats better cycling or running? - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 10-02-12, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
^ I whole-hearted agree that walking, especially for the unfit and/or overweight is excellent.

My statement is more of an indictment of modern society and how, as a species, we are pretty messed up. Though that could be added to a long list of things...
well yes and no. My family has been farmers for awhile. I had a relative who walked 5 miles into town on a regular basis. Even into her late 80's. She lived to be 105. She also lived in the same house her husband built in the late 1880's. No air No electricity No heat other than a pot bellied stove. She chopped her own wood for the stove. She was cold in winter, and hot in summer. Old fashioned living might sound great, but basically you life revolved around pure subsistance. Most families in rural areas lived by the same schedule. People needlepointed it on towels. Monday was wash day tuesday ironing the wash wednesday sewing thursday market day friday cleaning day saturday baking day sunday rest.
When i went to my grandmothers and god forbid you got muddy and wet in the winter you would freeze before you got clean. You had to go pump water, bring it inside, get the fire going high to heat the water and then try and clean yourself off. It took the better part of an hour. Not alot of fun when you are cold, wet and covered in mud. I appreciate hot showers and NEVER take them for granted.
I do not own an ipad or other similar device, i eschew alot of innovations, i go for long periods with no internet access. But still i recognize that everything is a trade off. As much as i prefer performing physical labor or walking it is just impossible to do at times. In order to have certain things we must make certain sacrifices, i cannot cherry pick a way of life and i think most people would prefer to live in our society today than when people basically walked everywhere.
Old 10-02-12, 23:06

We don't need to return to a rustic lifestyle, rather maybe not ignore our physical well being to the point where walking is actually strenuous exercise.

That being said, I think the greatest thing that could happen to our race is the introduction of another top predator. Nothing like running for your life to ensure natural selection resumes its rightful course

Edit: like zombies!

Last edited by Tapeworm; 10-02-12 at 23:16.
Old 11-08-12, 04:32

Quote:
We don't need to return to a rustic lifestyle, rather maybe not ignore our physical well being to the point where walking is actually strenuous exercise.

That being said, I think the greatest thing that could happen to our race is the introduction of another top predator. Nothing like running for your life to ensure natural selection resumes its rightful course

Edit: like zombies!
Remove all elevators and escalators.

Very annoying to have to take them all the time when the doors to the stairwell are locked or worse alarmed :-/

Hide all remote controls.

Remove all road-side car parking.

With you on the top predator introduction, but mainly coz:
1. i like aliens
2. space sounds cool, as long as I can work out how to fly this damn ship soon enou-shhhh here they come!
Old 12-03-12, 04:19

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Remove all elevators and escalators.

Very annoying to have to take them all the time when the doors to the stairwell are locked or worse alarmed :-/

Hide all remote controls.

Remove all road-side car parking.

With you on the top predator introduction, but mainly coz:
1. i like aliens
2. space sounds cool, as long as I can work out how to fly this damn ship soon enou-shhhh here they come!
I hear you wiggo but reality is the majority of people eating the 'balanced diet' are overweight. I live beach front on Kirra Beach. Prolly one of the most active beach side boardwalks in the world. Everday I get up near sun rise and head out there myself or sit with my laptop overlooking the board walk. Id say 95% of the cyclists, runners and walkers out there are on the tubby side with around 70% obviously overweight.

Diet is what keeps you slim regardless of exercise output.
Exercise is what gets you toned and fit.
Combine both for best results.

Ive never seen a fat high carb vegan. I see plenty of fat cyclists though that are fitter than some of my high carb vegan mates that don't train at all.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 12-03-12, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Kirra Beach. Prolly one of the most active beach side boardwalks in the world.
LOL. For someone as well travelled as you report to be, you have one very myopic and skewed view of the world. You're still making me laugh with this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Id say 95% of the cyclists, runners and walkers out there are on the tubby side with around 70% obviously overweight.

Diet is what keeps you slim regardless of exercise output.
Exercise is what gets you toned and fit.
Combine both for best results.

Ive never seen a fat high carb vegan. I see plenty of fat cyclists though that are fitter than some of my high carb vegan mates that don't train at all.
So you know what all of the cyclists and runners are eating? LOL. At the very least, you are good for a weekly laugh. Thanks for the entertainment.
Old 12-06-12, 17:01

I think the more important focus should be placed on the intensity of the training effort, irregardless of whether or not one chooses cycling or running. And of course showing discipline when it comes to calorie intake. There's no substitute for anaerobic training.
Old 12-22-12, 02:31

Cycling, IME.
Stay in the 'fat-burning' zone for a couple hours a day (one in the morning and one in the evening) to avoid the late night munchies, and you will lose weight, again, in IME. If your intensity is too high, you will definitely get the carb-depleted munchies and ruin your progress. Weight loss is all about maintaining momentum and keeping the 'slip-ups' to a minimum Stay primarily aerobic.
Old 12-23-12, 03:47

Strange, most studies of late have shown the exact opposite. High intensity efforts yield better fat loss.
Old 12-23-12, 23:37

Quote:
Strange, most studies of late have shown the exact opposite. High intensity efforts yield better fat loss.
That jives with this recent study at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In this study, in some instances, per calorie expended, runners lost 90% more weight than walkers.

The human engine is about 25% efficient. Of every four calories consumed, about three are expended in the interest of cooling the machine (perspiration). If there is supplemental cooling, we can exert harder, longer, because more of the energy budget remains available for work.

The walker takes the biggest hit because his cooling is aided the least by the airflow his self-locomotion creates. But the cyclist is moving fastest through the air, meaning his energy available for work is the highest. And the more energetic the effort, the greater the weight loss.

Way back when, I read an estimate that Tony Rominger burned more than 3000 calories in the 60 minutes he'd spent breaking the world hour record. I don't see a runner matching that.
Old 12-24-12, 00:05

Please see the acronym IME in my post.
It stands for "In My Experience".
Do a search for the studies that have found staying in the fat-burning zone is very effective. You will find thousands, I'm sure.
The argument for both remains, so what?
Choose what works best for each individual, right?
Tried both regimens to lose weight, and BY FAR staying aerobic is the most long-standing. Yes, you may be able to lose weight quicker with higher intensities, but good luck with those hunger-induced binges it will cause. Sustainable weight loss is best accomplished by staying aerobic and burning fat while you exercise - not after the exercise is over, again, IME. Nevertheless, YMMV...

Lastly, weight loss' most important component is DISCIPLINE - not running or cycling.