Cricket- the sport not the insect - Page 121 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-03-12, 05:14

Ricky . That was gutting. He looked in such great touch as well.
Old 12-03-12, 06:06

I was also gutted when Ricky went out but the way the South Africans and the crowd honoured him was great.

An Australian victory is ultimately gone now. South Africa are bowling really well.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-03-12, 07:08

Oh dear, in the space of 3 days we've gone back to those days of 2009, the latter days of Ponting's captaincy. The discipline has deserted us, both with the bat and ball. Really poor stuff from Clarke and Cowan, their dismissals came as a result of stupid decision making.
Old 12-03-12, 08:39

Mitchell Starc continues to embarass both the SA bowlers and Aus batsmen with 60 off only 37 balls

The strokeplay has varied between text book and.... unique
Old 12-03-12, 08:55

SA smash Aus by 309 to take the series 1-0 Starc left stranded on 68 off 43, the second fastest test 50 by an Aussie!

More than a little disappointing after the way the first two tests went. At least there was an overall improvement from the last Ashes series.
Old 12-03-12, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Mitchell Starc continues to embarass both the SA bowlers and Aus batsmen with 60 off only 37 balls

The strokeplay has varied between text book and.... unique
It was impressive by Starc, but RSA were just going through the motions at the end. Australia were far better than RSA in Adelaide and probably slightly better in Brisbane but RSA were good enough in crucial moments to save themselves from defeat.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-03-12, 11:03

The match was probably lost when both Hilfenhaus and Siddle were rested. If one of them had been present, I don't think we'd have needed 600+ to win. Perhaps 500 or so, and they definitely wouldn't have been able to score so quickly, so a draw would have been far easier to play toward.

How many JAMODI's are we scheduled to play this summer? The tri series is pretty good, but I don't think it's on this year, it's been replaced by a bilateral JAMODI series last I heard.

Last edited by Alphabet; 12-03-12 at 11:24.
Old 12-03-12, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
The match was probably lost when both Hilfenhaus and Siddle were rested. If one of them had been present, I don't think we'd have needed 600+ to win. Perhaps 500 or so, and they definitely wouldn't have been able to score so quickly, so a draw would have been far easier to play toward.

How many JAMODI's are we scheduled to play this summer? The tri series is pretty good, but I don't think it's on this year, it's been replaced by a bilateral JAMODI series last I heard.
Yes, to rest both bowlers in the series decider was stupid. They had a few days rest. Starc and Johnson are not up to it although Johnson did better than his last few tests. They were outplayed in all departments so no excuses. Ponting should not have been there either, he is totally out of sorts. Still, great career and great record. I thought after the first day we were a chance but that soon changed.
Old 12-03-12, 13:32

I think Starc may struggle in conditions that aren't friendly to swing bowling. He has a tendency to serve up a few too many half volleys, and they'll get driven to the fence all day long if they aren't swinging. Hopefully he can work on that and get it out of his game.
Old 12-03-12, 20:06

Don't be so harsh- although we did not have a pace spearhead Johnson and Starc bowled well, markedly so in the first innings- though if we had one of Siddle or Pattinson... They were let down by Hastings, Watson and in the second Lyon.

Starc shall improve over time.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"