Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 37 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-01-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGT View Post
Yes and nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairclimber View Post
Thing about Froome is that he's not really British and therefore doesn't have the same antipathy to doping as an honest Northern grafter like Brad. He might as well be Australian (the accent), or Italian, with that selfish "win at all costs" even if it's by cheating" attitude. You only had to watch that showboating in the Tour, or read his bird's tweets (what kind of bloke puts up with a WAG like that?) to see where his head is at.
Still, it'll be fun to watch him being plugged by Contador.
Not Italian, at least not what is I conceive as Italian cyclist. He lacks that riding position and ease on the pedals. some people say that even slow Italians look fast on the bike.
Old 12-02-12, 01:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenJones2 View Post
sky also have kiriyenka and cataldo though as mtn domestiques. youd think being italian cataldo would go to the giro which would suggest that to be numerically fair uran/henao would be split up
Agree, Sky have plenty of climbers, if Froome doesn't have Porte it won't be too detrimental to his chances. And Froome isn't going to need as much help in the tour as Wiggins did.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-02-12, 04:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Agree, Sky have plenty of climbers, if Froome doesn't have Porte it won't be too detrimental to his chances. And Froome isn't going to need as much help in the tour as Wiggins did.
Maybe he does not need Porte but I wouldn't be underestimating how well the domestiques like Rogers and Porte and others, rode for Wiggins last season. Froome can't win the Tour on his own. Sky do have plenty of good climbers but Porte and Rogers were outstanding in the roles they played for Sky.
Old 12-02-12, 06:51
Banned

anyway they would have won the race even without Porte and Rogers — simply at the expense of TT. The rest teams very weak. Only Liquigas budged a little bit. RSNT would have been the strongest team no doubt, if they had had a leader
Old 12-03-12, 07:55

Let the dog fight starts

""I do not assume that Bradley will help me in the Tour," said Froome to Sporza. "It is not yet decided whether he will defend his title in France. He may aim at the Giro. If the goal of the team is for me to go for yellow, then I can count on the help of Bradley. I would like to get the green light to go for victory in the Tour. Even if I fail, and only finish only fifth or sixth, I'll be happy as long as I am able give everything."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...nce-leadership
Old 12-03-12, 11:59

Froome is definitely talking the big talk...without having a lot to show for it honestly. He'd better not finish "fifth or sixth" if not he's going the Jeff Bernard way in a hurry.
Old 12-03-12, 12:11

The one time he was the sole leader for his team (in the Vuelta) he kinda failed... but we'll see. Wiggins isn't a natural leader either, and see what he did.
Old 12-03-12, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
The one time he was the sole leader for his team (in the Vuelta) he kinda failed... but we'll see.
No, he was 'fatigued', remember?.
Old 12-03-12, 13:42
Banned

Those who think Froome will win the Tour kind of vote his for potential [quite real potential rather than conjectural one], uncovered entirely even after 2 2nd places in GTs. Iow, we don't know how he would have ridden if he were a captain. If we reason based on the results primarily, it wouldn't be a mistake to say than both Valverde and Rodriguez are better GT riders, would it? However I don't get why it didn't happen. If these 2 could overcome a vuelta hilly TT at Froome's level, 30k to Mont Saint-Michelle also wouldn't be an insuperable barrier for them. But somehow no one is in hurry to enroll these spaniars to the list of favorites.

Last edited by airstream; 12-03-12 at 13:49.
Old 12-03-12, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmartin View Post
Let the dog fight starts

""I do not assume that Bradley will help me in the Tour," said Froome to Sporza. "It is not yet decided whether he will defend his title in France. He may aim at the Giro. If the goal of the team is for me to go for yellow, then I can count on the help of Bradley. I would like to get the green light to go for victory in the Tour. Even if I fail, and only finish only fifth or sixth, I'll be happy as long as I am able give everything."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...nce-leadership
Looks to me like Wiggo & Brailsford are waiting for the final ruling on Saxo's License to make up their mind on the Tour title defense-that's all. Froome well knows that as soon as Contador gets the green line to participate, Brad will abandon his tour campaign for fear of embarrassment & rather go for the Giro against Nibali.....