Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 38 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-03-12, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
The one time he was the sole leader for his team (in the Vuelta) he kinda failed... but we'll see. Wiggins isn't a natural leader either, and see what he did.
Yep, 4th place 1 month after being the best climber at the Tour and medaling the Olympics is a bit of a fail.

Trying to remember how the best GT rider of his generation managed a couple of years ago when he tried back to back GTs, but I can't quite remember. Must have been much better, I'm sure.
Old 12-03-12, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Yep, 4th place 1 month after being the best climber at the Tour and medaling the Olympics is a bit of a fail.

Trying to remember how the best GT rider of his generation managed a couple of years ago when he tried back to back GTs, but I can't quite remember. Must have been much better, I'm sure.
It's a fail if you consider Sky management's plans of grand tour domination. I wouldn't call it a fail though on Froome's part, just on Sky management's.
Old 12-03-12, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Looks to me like Wiggo & Brailsford are waiting for the final ruling on Saxo's License to make up their mind on the Tour title defense-that's all. Froome well knows that as soon as Contador gets the green line to participate, Brad will abandon his tour campaign for fear of embarrassment & rather go for the Giro against Nibali.....
I never thought about that
Old 12-03-12, 22:11

I sugested on a Sky Sports story about Froome becomming tdf captain, that it was because Sky and Brailsford knew Wiggins did not stand a chance against real competition. Then I added, that neither did Froome.

I have never received 80 negative votes and zero positives before.
Old 12-03-12, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Nielsen View Post
I sugested on a Sky Sports story about Froome becomming tdf captain, that it was because Sky and Brailsford knew Wiggins did not stand a chance against real competition. Then I added, that neither did Froome.

I have never received 80 negative votes and zero positives before.
I applaud you here
Old 12-03-12, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmartin View Post
I applaud you here
Thank you.

It was like the fifth post I have made on Sky Sports. The other four was just mildly critical of Sky and Brailsford, but they did not get posted on the side because the side admins or whoever has to aprove them. This time they posted my perhaps sharpest post. Go figure.
Old 12-04-12, 08:43
Administrator

Quote:

it certainly was a much better attempt. he won the first GT which happened to be the toughest GT of the last decade parcours wise and went to the usually toughest GT of the year in terms of contention, and despite losing 2 minutes due to a crash and a TTT on the first 2 stages and injuring his knee on crashes caused by the lack of strength of his team he still "only" finished 5 minutes back and was until the very last day on the greatest animators of the race.

froome got second on the tour and went to the vuelta where despite having no bad luck and getting a fantastic support from his team he still finished 10min back being an absolute non factor on the decisive part of the race.
Old 12-04-12, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Looks to me like Wiggo & Brailsford are waiting for the final ruling on Saxo's License to make up their mind on the Tour title defense-that's all. Froome well knows that as soon as Contador gets the green line to participate, Brad will abandon his tour campaign for fear of embarrassment & rather go for the Giro against Nibali.....
Agree.For me its the same.If Alberto goes for Giro -Vuelta,Wiggo for Tour and Froome to match Alberto.If Alberto goes for Tour,it will be the opposite with Sky duo
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 12-04-12, 13:23

Quote:
A fail in my book. Too much of a difference between a rider that dominated the Tour, finishing with a lot left in the tank and the rider that placed 10 minutes behind the winner with arguably a weaker field.
Old 12-04-12, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
it certainly was a much better attempt. he won the first GT which happened to be the toughest GT of the last decade parcours wise and went to the usually toughest GT of the year in terms of contention, and despite losing 2 minutes due to a crash and a TTT on the first 2 stages and injuring his knee on crashes caused by the lack of strength of his team he still "only" finished 5 minutes back and was until the very last day on the greatest animators of the race.

froome got second on the tour and went to the vuelta where despite having no bad luck and getting a fantastic support from his team he still finished 10min back being an absolute non factor on the decisive part of the race.
It's how you tell them, it really is.

He was the top climber at the Tour, won a TT medal at the Olympics and then tried another GT 3 weeks later where unsurprisingly he was completely empty, but still managed 4th. I can count on 1 hand the number of cyclists in history who would expect to do better in that combo of races (and no, before you all get hysterical, I'm not saying he's up there, I'm just saying the objective results are clearly very good when stated without the usual caveats and desire to ignore the relevance of doing 2 GTs in a row, which is happily used as an excuse for other riders).