Sky - Page 940 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-03-12, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Where's Richie Porte today? Has he been talking again?
Lay off wee Richie, will ya?

Your constant snide sniping of him (without ANY evidence whatsoever) is turning me into being a big fan of Richie's.

If Froome fails next year, and Thomas doesn't progress, I'd like to see Richie getting a crack at a GT, just to p*** the Hog off!
Old 12-03-12, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Are we happy now?
Yes! More information is always better. Thanks for that. I need some time to digest it.

Quote:
You seriously think after the Hoy driven Beijing performance, Sky were needed to boost viewership?
Yeah I do. I think it pulled in the more average Olympics viewer that heard about the Brit winning that famous race around France crowd.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 12-04-12, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
Lay off wee Richie, will ya?

Your constant snide sniping of him (without ANY evidence whatsoever) is turning me into being a big fan of Richie's.

If Froome fails next year, and Thomas doesn't progress, I'd like to see Richie getting a crack at a GT, just to p*** the Hog off!
Richie's a good guy. I like him. Think he has excellent potential. I'm not sniping at him. I just don't like him getting caught up in the Sky doping.

He does talk you know.
Old 12-04-12, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Richie's a good guy. I like him. Think he has excellent potential. I'm not sniping at him. I just don't like him getting caught up in the Sky doping.

He does talk you know.
Does he say, "Good post, Hog?"
Old 12-04-12, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Does he say, "Good post, Hog?"
Generally not. But he likes talking.
Old 12-04-12, 01:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Yeah I do. I think it pulled in the more average Olympics viewer that heard about the Brit winning that famous race around France crowd.
I looked it up (I do that, sadly)

Cav in the Road race, peak - 5.7 on TV, 1.4 red button, 0.5 streaming - total 7.6m - a race, i might add, that was absolutely advertised to the hilt as the 'first GB gold chance of the games'

Wiggo in time trial, peak - 6.2 on TV, 0.6 red button, 0.7 streaming - total 7.5m

Hoy in Keirin, peak - 9.8 million on television alone, Pendleton numbers similar (understandably, same night and all)

Like it or not, GB, TdF notwithstanding, is still a track cycling loving country. And after Beijing, they were watching the velodrome, SkyTeam or not. It's not just beijing of course, its the recent history - Boardman's superbike, the Queelly gold which ushered in the start of the post-lottery renaissance.

Wiggo didn't pull a single extra viewer for 'his' race. Indeed, he pulled a minimum of 2.3 million less. Wiggins actually got the smallest peak audience of the three 'main' races.

Don't get me wrong, the TdF is a super serious big deal in GB. Wiggo is going to walk the Sports Personality of the Year awards - but that doesn't translate quite the way you suggest it does.

In Olympic terms - the main man is, was, and remains, Hoy. It's Hoy on the closing montages, Hoy carrying the flag, how tearing up for the camera. The TdF may be 'the single greatest achievement by a brit cyclist' but I'd venture if you asked who the greatest great britain cyclist was? Hoy would win.

I can't think of many countries bar australia where trackies would even be considered in that discussion.

And anyway, as the financial stuff earlier showed, it doesn't really have any relevance anyway. viewing figures mean nothing to the money UCI gets.

Still, fun theory, crackpot or not, and i got to edu-me-cate meself into the bargain...

Last edited by martinvickers; 12-04-12 at 01:56.
Old 12-04-12, 01:53

Quote:
I looked it up (I do that, sadly)

Cav in the Road race, peak - 5.7 on TV, 1.4 red button, 0.5 streaming - total 7.6m - a race, i might add, that was absolutely advertised to the hilt as the 'first GB gold chance of the games'

Wiggo in time trial, peak - 6.2 on TV, 0.6 red button, 0.7 streaming - total 7.5m

Hoy in Keirin, peak - 9.8 million on television alone, Pendleton numbers similar (understandably, same night and all)

Like it or not, GB, TdF notwithstanding, is still a track cycling loving country. And after Beijing, they were watching the velodrome, SkyTeam or not. It's not just beijing of course, its the recent history - Boardman's superbike, the Queelly gold which ushered in the start of the post-lottery renaissance.

Wiggo didn't pull a single extra viewer for 'his' race. Indeed, he pulled a minimum of 2.3 million less. Wiggins actually got the smallest peak audience of the three 'main' races.

Don't get me wrong, the TdF is a super serious big deal in GB. Wiggo is going to walk the Sports Personality of the Year awards - but that doesn't translate quite the way you suggest it does.

And anyway, as the financial stuff earlier showed, it doesn't really have any relevance anyway...
But Wiggins was a Wednsday too and i know lots of people had work whereas Cav was a Saturday and the opening event of the olympics no less.

Wiggins did get some promotion with the sun doing some get free wiggins clip on sideburns with your daily tits and celebrity gossip deal.

Though on the other hand, the road race had about 2 million of its base fans out on the road and a good million of those around box hill and nowhere near any tv to register their numbers on the peak time viewership thing.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 12-04-12 at 01:58.
Old 12-04-12, 01:59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Wiggins was a wednsday too whereas Cav was a Saturday and the opening event of the olympics no less.
One has to add context, i suppose - GB were starting to get desperate for golds by day 5 (odd in retrospect), so even though Glover and Stanning broke the duck that morning, it was still THE event of that day.

Though it's the comparison with Hoy i still think makes the point. The viewers were already there - GB loves olympic cycling.

And ALL the 'free' events were packed to the gunnels - Cav's race, the time trials, the Triathlon, especially the men's - it was approaching dangerous in some parts of Hyde Park. Bit of a stretch to consider it a Wiggo/Sky effect.

People seem to forget that until this july GB's ideas of 'road wealth' were tied up, not in Wiggo, but in Cav, the green jersey and the sprints down the champs. Cav is reigning SPOTY, remember!! And none of his major achievements were during his time with SKY.

Last edited by martinvickers; 12-04-12 at 02:04.
Old 12-04-12, 02:31

Quote:
One has to add context, i suppose - GB were starting to get desperate for golds by day 5 (odd in retrospect), so even though Glover and Stanning broke the duck that morning, it was still THE event of that day.

Though it's the comparison with Hoy i still think makes the point. The viewers were already there - GB loves olympic cycling.

And ALL the 'free' events were packed to the gunnels - Cav's race, the time trials, the Triathlon, especially the men's - it was approaching dangerous in some parts of Hyde Park. Bit of a stretch to consider it a Wiggo/Sky effect.

People seem to forget that until this july GB's ideas of 'road wealth' were tied up, not in Wiggo, but in Cav, the green jersey and the sprints down the champs. Cav is reigning SPOTY, remember!! And none of his major achievements were during his time with SKY.

The time trial was a loop of what 45k? The road race was 80k to box hill, 8k lap around it where the rafters really were packed to the brim and a different 80k back.

Clearly the road race could and did fit far more people. Plenty of people who would not be otherwise bothered to go somewhere for a cycling race bought tickets months earlier for themselves and families. The road race also offered the chance to see them going slowly up box hill rather than just watch them fly away.

There is no way the tt managed to get half the spectators of the road race.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-04-12, 06:31

The road race coverage on tv was terrible. I switched off and I'm a cycling fan!