The French hope of the century or the Colombian Messiah? - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who is the best talent?
Thibaut Pinot 49 30.43%
Nairo Quintana 112 69.57%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-12, 07:19

I wonder why everyone disregards Rolland as a French GC contender. I think he definitely has it in him, provided he continues to work on his TTing. And he needs to move from Europcar.
Old 12-04-12, 07:36

I am guessing Pinot, mostly because he is my favorite rider.
Old 12-04-12, 08:34

Personally i think Quintana is more talented (only one year as a pro compared to 3) and i hope he shall have a great career.
Pinot in my view shall be like Valverde (better or worse i have no idea), great at the Ardennes, great most of the time on climbs and he shall also be better on ITT's but... QUINTANA.

@Alphabet: I like Rolland a lot as well and i think he shall win a GT but he is a bit older than Pinot. He is a better climber for the moment at least as well.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"

Last edited by greenedge; 12-04-12 at 08:42. Reason: 3
Old 12-04-12, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.
Morton and Dombrowski are 1992 and 1991 so they are also younger.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-04-12, 09:53

Wait - did you really just compare Pinot to Valverde? That's hilarious.
Old 12-04-12, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
@Alphabet: I like Rolland a lot as well and i think he shall win a GT but he is a bit older than Pinot. He is a better climber for the moment at least as well.
Rolland's best bet would be the Vuelta or the Giro, I can't see him winning the Tour, even if he improves his TTing ability he probably won't be able to do much better than a podium place. With the way Unipublic create Vuelta routes, I think he should focus on it more so than the Giro. Also he really needs to move from Europcar if he wants to win one. They aren't capable of supporting him, and they aren't likely to gain invites to the Vuelta or Giro regularly.
Old 12-04-12, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.
pinots natural itt, is much weaker than quintana though. he's also a bad downhiller. pinot is really the pure climber, while quintana is more allround. also see lombardia in the blistering rain. incredible.
Old 12-04-12, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
I went with Nairo. Pinot is very, very impressive, but Quintana was pacing the elite group and chasing down attacks from Contador and Rodriguez for Valverde at the Vuelta on 20% slopes. I'm not sure if Pinot, or indeed the vast majority of the peloton, is capable of climbing that well. As far as their ability to challenge for GC, I'm undecided. Does Pinot TT better than Quintana?

Also, I'm assuming Quintana is a good descender, because he held off Evans for a downhill stage finish at the Dauphine. I didn't watch that stage though, so I have no idea if it was a difficult descent or not.
quintana is good descender indeed. above average, despite his tiny frame. he has great technique. he improved in this so much. pinots downhil is quite bad
Old 12-04-12, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
If we talk about climbing talent for me it's something like this.
***** Pinot, Quintana
**** Dombrowski
*** Chaves

Then the Betancur, Aru, Bardet, Barguil, Anacona, Atapuma, Elissonde, Landa... are today in other level.
you forget argiro ospina, who is already above level of dombrowski imo. but you will find out about him next year.
Old 12-04-12, 11:58

Right now, Pinot by little margin.