The Strongest Contador? - Page 4 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Strongest Contador?
Tour '07 15 15.46%
Tour '09 44 45.36%
Giro '11 21 21.65%
Waiting for tour '13 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-12, 11:08

Probably 2009, but since i'm a member of the contador gang i voted the last option. It's hard to compare 2009 to 2011, verbier had tailwind, while Etna was longer, flatter and had headwind. It took him like 3 km to get a minute after which Etna got flatter
Old 12-04-12, 12:43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
@Airstream: Kloden had crashed in 07, he came second to Cancellara in the prologue so it seemed like he had good form.
The best rode Plateau de Beille by 1'10 faster than Armstrong and Basso in 2004. Seems like Klodi beat his 2004 time but lost more. I wouldn't say his form was bad.

Yeah, he even had fracture in his tail bone as far as I remember.
Old 12-04-12, 13:00
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Giro 2011, because he didn't have a comically strong team, and the route wasn't so soft. It's easier to set a VAM record on Verbier after a flat stage than on a steeper climb after four other category 1 climbs or when you're so superior to everyone else you can afford to spend your energy on trying to find ways for your friends to get stages.
Why do the rider need a strong team, if he giggles at laughable tempo set by Lampre and catapults at a 4-5 % Etna section? IMO a team factor is a bit overrated when one is by far stronger than others.

Last edited by airstream; 12-04-12 at 13:48.
Old 12-04-12, 13:42

giro 2011 by far
Old 12-04-12, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam_Olyas View Post
7th febuary.
What he said
Old 12-04-12, 15:28

I hope Alberto can come close to tour 2009 or giro 2011 level or maybe even match it, i do not think it is impossible
Old 12-04-12, 18:35

I agree with airstream. 2007 was monstrous when you see what numbers Sastre, Evans and Levi were putting down, and getting their *** handed to them by Pistolero and Chicken.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-05-12, 01:15

I forgot that in '09 he had to beat half his own team and his manager...kinda like LeMond vs. The Badger....tough stuff.
Old 12-05-12, 06:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
I agree with airstream. 2007 was monstrous when you see what numbers Sastre, Evans and Levi were putting down, and getting their *** handed to them by Pistolero and Chicken.
Right. We remember how Contador fired from behind transfused Boogerd who probably could easily get finish in top 10 if he hadn't worked for Rasmussen. While looking that stage, I thought Chicken had even more powerful engine but he just lacked spark to follow immediately. It seemed if the rules had allowed Rasmussen would have thrown his bike away, run and caught Contador.
Old 12-05-12, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
Right... career best performances from a number of high-profile riders, most notably Contador, Rasmussen, Evans and Leipheimer. Also maybe Sastre... that long-range attack in the Aubisque stage with tons of exposed false flat was very impressive, considering he didn't really "crack" and still finished in the top 5 overall.

And then to think it was considered a "weak" edition initially.