The French hope of the century or the Colombian Messiah? - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who is the best talent?
Thibaut Pinot 49 30.43%
Nairo Quintana 112 69.57%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-12, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
pinots natural itt, is much weaker than quintana though e.
I dont see that.
Old 12-04-12, 15:30

Quote:
you forget argiro ospina, who is already above level of dombrowski imo. but you will find out about him next year.
Never read about him. Another colombian supertalent would be amazing.
Old 12-04-12, 15:57

Overall: Quintana by a considerable margin. Better climber, much better hilly classics rider.

I thought this was about GT potential, though, so I mistakenly voted for Pinot. Not sure yet if Quintana can be as consistent as he was in his first TDF
Old 12-04-12, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Overall: Quintana much better hilly classics rider
LOL. Thibaut Pinot is more explosive, by far has more punch than Nairo and because of this has more potential as a hilly classics rider. We'll see it in 2013. Also Thibaut has demonstrated yet that he can be up there in the hardest 3 weeks GT of the world.

Last edited by Jason_Mercier; 12-04-12 at 16:09.
Old 12-04-12, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
LOL. Thibaut Pinot is more explosive, by far has more punch than Nairo and because of this has more potential as a hilly classics rider. We'll see it in 2013. Also Thibaut has demonstrated yet that he can be up there in the hardest 3 weeks GT of the world.
pinot has not shown anywhere to have the engine. quintana has. quintana can go 250 km+ pinot, we have to see... also what you need more in classics than just explosiveness, is technical skills. pinot lacks them severely. he isn't good at placing himself or downhilling.

argiro ospina was the best climber in the clasico rcn this year. amazing talent, will go to movistar in 2013. only 21 years old and been cycling for a few years.

also about pinots, itt, are you for real? pinots itt is really bad. quinta is not. also quintana has always been good in itt, from his junior years.
Old 12-04-12, 18:31

Thibaut Pinot has the potential to become the best climber in the world! That's my opinion at least! He spends more and more time in la danseuse and is in general very fluid on the bike.

Quintana has a different style, but obvious all class as well!

Its close, but I voted T. Pinot.
Old 12-04-12, 19:01
Administrator

Quote:
pinots natural itt, is much weaker than quintana though. he's also a bad downhiller. pinot is really the pure climber, while quintana is more allround. also see lombardia in the blistering rain. incredible.
Yes, I agree with you. Quintana definitely has shown more talent, as well as great potential to be a GT contender. I would say Pinot's 10th in the Tour shows the most potential to be a GT contender at this point. I think we'll have to see how Quintana does in a GT with full leadership before we can declare him to definitely be a GT contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Go watch Giro dell'Emilia this year, and then tell us if Pinot has more potential in the hilly classics. Quintana was amazing in it, his first attack reduced the peloton into a handful of just a few riders, then his 2nd attack dropped everyone. Plus there was also his 11th in Lombardia.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-04-12, 20:23
Administrator

i went with quintana on this one but i don't think there is much difference btw the 2 in pure talent with quintana having a bit of an edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Rolland's best bet would be the Vuelta or the Giro, I can't see him winning the Tour, even if he improves his TTing ability he probably won't be able to do much better than a podium place. With the way Unipublic create Vuelta routes, I think he should focus on it more so than the Giro. Also he really needs to move from Europcar if he wants to win one. They aren't capable of supporting him, and they aren't likely to gain invites to the Vuelta or Giro regularly.
rolland would be by far better suited to the giro then the vuelta. long multiclimb stages are his thing, not the 1 climb sprints unipublic likes to call mountain stages.
Old 12-04-12, 20:37

The way you guys talk about Quintana reminds me of no other than Andy 'Freacking' Schleck.

And now, a word from our sponsors:
Vote Pinot, he is the next big thing!
Old 12-04-12, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Go watch Giro dell'Emilia this year, and then tell us if Pinot has more potential in the hilly classics. Quintana was amazing in it, his first attack reduced the peloton into a handful of just a few riders, then his 2nd attack dropped everyone. Plus there was also his 11th in Lombardia.
Giro dell'Emilia isn't really that good an indicator for hilly classics as it's far harder than any of the Ardennes and is as close to a "mountain-classic" you can get.

To me it seems like Pinot is more explosive/punchy, so I'd think he has more potential in the hills. He has never done any hilly classics in form, though, so it's hard to know. Quintana was never seen in the front in the short "walls" in the Vuelta, which goes to show that his abilities in short hills are limited.