National Football League - Page 187 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-03-12, 16:32

Well, considering that last week all three OTs went my way, it was no surprise that this week both went against me. No complaints though, I'm happy with 11-4 going into the MNF game that everyone's been waiting for!

An astonishing comeback by the Colts, hats off to Luck despite his three picks. The Ravens were the biggest disappointment to me, Flacco had a real off day and they were poor as a whole. The moment I read the news from KC, I thought that they would be really up for this game, and I considered changing my pick - but then decided to leave it.

Damn, it's been such a long wait since Thanksgiving, almost like an extra bye week. I hope the rest will have done them good and that they let the boy genius off the leash.
Old 12-03-12, 23:50

Mark Sanchez finally got benched. This guy makes Joey Harrington and Cordell Stewart look like Hall of Fame material.
Old 12-04-12, 04:46

How sweet it is!

HTTR!!!!
Old 12-04-12, 05:17
Administrator

I'm not sure if Amster was awake to see it, but that was a super win for Washington, and RGIII. The modified Pistol offense they are running was highly impressive. I wondered back in the preseason if we'd see a team run the pistol, I thought maybe SF with Kaepernick and their RBs (as Kaep ran it at Nevada under Chris Ault, who invented it, I'd still like to see SF run it), but it was deadly here for Wash. Big props to Shanehan for making adjustments like this and taking them from 3-6 to 6-6. They look like they're headed up, and up some more.

Giants on the other hand looked like they're headed the other direction. They had nothing in the 4th quarter, even though they're healthy. A week after whipping the Packers, they were sloppy and aside from a few good plays looked done.
Old 12-04-12, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Mark Sanchez finally got benched. This guy makes Joey Harrington and Cordell Stewart look like Hall of Fame material.
Just recall the draft where the Jets got Sanchize... Jets fans in attendance were extatic. Now they have to go back to the drawing board. This draft coming up does not have as many quality QBs as last draft, so teams will have to be careful and have done their homework by the time their draft turn comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I'm not sure if Amster was awake to see it, but that was a super win for Washington, and RGIII. The modified Pistol offense they are running was highly impressive. I wondered back in the preseason if we'd see a team run the pistol, I thought maybe SF with Kaepernick and their RBs (as Kaep ran it at Nevada under Chris Ault, who invented it, I'd still like to see SF run it), but it was deadly here for Wash. Big props to Shanehan for making adjustments like this and taking them from 3-6 to 6-6. They look like they're headed up, and up some more.

Giants on the other hand looked like they're headed the other direction. They had nothing in the 4th quarter, even though they're healthy. A week after whipping the Packers, they were sloppy and aside from a few good plays looked done.
Amster was prolly passed out! But, yes, great game and win for Wash. That division is still up for grabs between the top 3 teams... 7-5 Dallas, 6-6 Wash, & 6-6 Giants. Philly can only be the spoiler. Let's see if Dallas can squander another shot at the playoffs by losing out like they did last season. (sweet)

Philly (old news now) dumped their defensive line coach Jim Washburn in favor of Tom Brasher, who did not understand the cutting of DE Jason Babin last week. Is replacing Washburn a job saving move by Reid? What a mess of an organization right now.

Bad news for Giants as they lost RT Sean Locklear (former Hawk Locklear from Seattle's SB team of 2005) to injury. No telling how bad yet. Locklear was up to his old stuff last night... holding and false starts.

Final QB ratings for the top dozen or so after last nights game (numbers gear out the game last night that RG3 outplayed Eli):

QB...................C/ATT..........YDS...........TD.............INT..... ....QBR.........RTG
Quinn...............19/23.............201.............2...............0.. ..........97.6............132.1
Romo...............22/27.............303.............3...............0.. ..........96.7............150.5
McElroy...............5/7.............29................1..............0.. ............95.9............118.5
Cutler...............17/26............233..........2..............0...... ........94.8............119.6
P Manning..........27/38...........242.............3..............1..... ........90.2............103.2
RG III..................13/21...........163.............1...............0.... ........86.5............101.9
Wilson...............23/37.............293.............2..............0... ..........85.4............104.9
Rodgers...............27/35...........286............1...............1..... .......84.6............98
Kaepernick...........21/32...........208...........0...............0...... ......82.4............83.9
Stafford...............27/46...........313.............2..............1..... .......80.7............84.8
Fitzpatrick............9/17............112.............2..............1.... ........78.6............88.4
E Manning...........20/33............280............1..............0..... .......75.7............98
Old 12-04-12, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post

Looking better for Seattle each day.
Old 12-04-12, 18:25

I guess you missed it Alpe, but I posted my quick reaction around 6 am my time, just before your post.

I wouldn't have missed this for the world, so I spent all weekend 'in training' so that I could stay up for a game that started at 2:30 am for me. As a result, I went to bed around 7 am and got up around 3:30 this afternoon. I've been trying to locate and reassemble my missing bits ever since.

I have just experienced the most stunning sports weekend ever, where every single result that I had any interest in went my way, starting with the entirely unexpected win by my Hammers over the west London forces of evil, aka Chelsea, early on Saturday afternoon. I then correctly predicted an Ajax win over PSV by the same score of 3-1, which gained me maximum points in the prediction pool. Incidentally, my last three week's picks here, 13-1, 12-4, and 12-4 again, were feats that I'm sure will never occur again - this is a classic case of being 'on a roll', of having more luck than smarts!

Later on Saturday evening Barca won 5-1, Messi (the greatest player in my lifetime) scored two more goals to take him within one goal of equaling a record from the 1970's that nobody thought would ever be touched - then arch rivals Real Madrid did Barca an extra favor by beating Barca's closest rivals, Atletico! By late on Saturday night I was absolutely bursting for MNF, something in my bones told me that we would win, one way or another!

This was not a 'great' game in the traditional sense, but it certainly was great for all of us downtrodden Skins fans, as we bested the reigning SB champs and their ace QB. I knew we would win when RG3 somehow turned a fumble into a TD. When you're that good AND that lucky, amazing things can happen. Their missed FB nailed it for me and I approached the second half with confidence, despite our three point deficit.

Inexplicably, the Giants then proceeded to play to our strength - run defense - rather than to our very evident biggest weakness, pass defense. I loved the way we ran the clock down, grinding out first downs. It wasn't all that pretty, but it was SO much fun for once being able to kick sand into the big guy's face.

To be honest, RG3 wasn't the star of the night, Alf Morris was. That boy is already an absolute monster and he's only just starting! If he and RG3 can both stay fit, they will literally terrorize defenses for many years to come because you simply can't defend against all the options available to two players of this quality with this 'Pistol' offense. Morris already busted the Skin's all time rookie rushing record last night, and he's got at least four more games to go. Of course, we all know that RG3 also took Cam Newton's rookie rushing record last night!

Still, it'll take years to build up the rest of the squad to a standard that will allow the Skins to dominate for many years - but the basis is already there, and they're both **** hot. I have never felt such a buzz as a Skins fan. Ever.
Old 12-04-12, 20:06
Administrator

Two things I recall from last night's game that stood out. First, was the return of the fans dressed as Hogs. Second was the way both the sideline of Washington erupted when they got the last first down, plus the way a lot of fans stayed after the game chanting RGIII. This has to be the most energy 'Skins fans have had since the days of the original hogs.

Big props also to Morris. What a great find for the Skins.

I don't think RGIII is throwing to the level of Andrew Luck, and the 8-4 (yes, 8-4!) Colts. But they are in a tougher division, playing tougher opposition, and he's making the right decisions, and looking like a leader they desperately needed. There's talk about him running too much, but he only had 6 carries, that's it. And from the pistol offense it's an option where 6 carries can make a huge difference in a key game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Just recall the draft where the Jets got Sanchize... Jets fans in attendance were ecstatic. Now they have to go back to the drawing board. This draft coming up does not have as many quality QBs as last draft...
The problem with Sanchez is that the Jets gave him that huge contract in the off-season, and with it he's guaranteed $8.5m next season. So they have to find a team that's a sucker who will take that, have him sit for that much, or play him. At this point though if I were the Jets, I'd at least see what Greg McElroy can do. He played okay in pre-season, and last week. The season is all but over, give the kid a shot. Either that, or Tebow (who is gone next year almost for certain).

As to the draft, Geno Smith's stock has dropped a little, and he's not even invited to the Heisman finals. But teams are so desperate for a QB to "fix" everything (the way Luck and RGIII have) he could go #1 (Smith is not Luck or RGIII, btw, just in case you were curious.) Collin Klein is more of a running QB. Matt Barkley's stock has really dropped, and he probably should have gone pro last year. Landry Jones has played the same as last season and looks like the next Kirk Cousins. Same with Tyler Wilson. So teams like the Chiefs, Jets, Cardinals, or Jaguars who really need a QB, are likely to take a risk on Smith of they are high in the draft, or take a wait/see on one of the other guys and pick them in the 2nd or maybe 3rd rounds, or look to free agency and see if they can pick up someone like Flynn (who obviously isn't Seattle's future unless Wilson is badly hurt), Alex Smith, Michael Vick, or Colt McCoy.

NFL Power Rankings out later today.
Old 12-04-12, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
... I knew we would win when RG3 somehow turned a fumble into a TD. When you're that good AND that lucky, amazing things can happen.
I was going to say earlier that RG3 even fumbles right, if there is such a thing. Morris looked very good.

Well, power rankings are out:
Up/Down (Dn) is the change from last weeks ranking ("-" is no change)

Rank.....Team........Record....Up/Dn....Hi/Lo
1..........Texans..........11-1..........1..........1/6
2..........Broncos..........9-3..........1..........2/17
3..........Falcons..........11-1.........1..........1/7
4..........Patriots..........9-3..........1..........1/12
5..........49ers.............8-3-1.......-4..........1/8
6..........Packers..........8-4..........3..........3/12
7..........Ravens..........9-3..........-1..........2/10 (still too high)
8..........Seahawks.......7-5..........6..........8/28
9..........Bengals..........7-5..........1..........8/20
10..........Bears...........8-4..........-3..........3/12
11..........Steelers........7-5..........1..........5/16
12..........Giants...........7-5.........-4..........4/14
13..........Colts.............8-4..........-..........12/30
14..........Redskins.......6-6..........2..........11/23
15..........Buccaneers...6-6.........-4..........9/25
16..........Cowboys.......6-6..........2..........6/18
17..........Rams............5-6-1........5..........14/28
18..........Saints...........5-7..........-3..........9/28
19..........Vikings..........6-6.........-2..........8/29
20..........Browns.........4-8..........1..........20/32
21..........Dolphins........5-7........-1..........14/31
22..........Lions.............4-8.........-3..........10/23
23..........Bills...............5-7..........1..........14/29
24..........Chargers........4-8..........3..........12/28 (lose to Cincy and still up 3)
25..........Jets...............5-7..........-2..........15/27
26..........Cardinals.......4-8.........-1..........5/27
27..........Titans............4-8..........2..........22/30
28..........Jaguars.........2-10.........-..........28/32
29..........Chiefs...........2-10.........3..........11/32
30..........Eagles...........3-9............-..........1/30 (has there ever been such a huge fall?)
31..........Panthers.......3-9..........-5..........20/31
32..........Raiders..........3-9.........-1..........25/32
Old 12-04-12, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Just recall the draft where the Jets got Sanchize... Jets fans in attendance were extatic. Now they have to go back to the drawing board.
If I were the Jets' general manager I'd do everything in my power to get Matt Flynn from Seattle. And if that didn't happen I'd try to get Alex Smith. Either one of these guys would be vastly superior to Sanchez.

Regarding Sanchez guaranteed contract, perhaps someone would be willing to take him (Pete Carroll's Seattle perhaps) if the Jets agreed to pay half his salary.

Last edited by Pazuzu; 12-04-12 at 23:30.