"Change Cycling Now" - Page 19 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-05-12, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...Now-group.aspx

Guess they'll be getting an earful
That is either a credible move or a move to look credible. We'll see which one next June I suspect.
Old 12-05-12, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Be patient, Rome isn't built in a day.
Look, I get what you are saying...but when a sport's culture fades and devolves into corruption, the people who love the sport want to see it turned around sooner rather than later. Which is why I suppose they decided to name the group "Change Cycling Now" ... as opposed to "Change Cycling Eventually." I hope it is the former and not the latter.

And to add to my earlier comments on "Change Cycling Now" vs. "Change the UCI President Now" -- changing the leadership I feel is only a small component of changing the sport.

Ultimately, what needs to change is the mindset of the people who take the drugs. What most amazed me about reading Hamilton's book was that he blood doped and took whatever he was given -- seemingly without any thought to his health or well being. Change Cycling Now should use their members who have a doping past to speak about their personal experience and talk about the hazards to their well being from doing it. The goal being, that they should change the perspective of the riders -- so that they focus more on the dangers and the risks. Changing the UCI leadership would be helpful in this area, because it would present an opportunity to set up a system where riders can feel empowered -- that they have an advocate and a support network in the event that they are pressured by anyone associated with their team into doping -- and therefore can stand up to it. Before, riders either had to cheat or quit. Some quit, but most decided to cheat because they weren't educated about the health risks and they lacked the support to stand up for themselves and say no.

What also needs to change is that the sport needs to prove to its supporters -- who drive the efforts of sponsors to be involved in the sport and therefore provides the funding for the sport -- that the sport is clean and heading in the right direction. Otherwise, more sponsors will follow Rabobank out the door and cripple the sport. In order to accomplish this, the drug testing must be improved and the system as to how tests are administered must improve. Changing leadership would also be instrumental in this area as well.

I look forward to hearing how Change Cycling Now intends to address these two main points. Present a plan - change the culture -- not just leadership -- and win back the sponsors and fans. Challenge McQuaid to implement this ideas, and then when he refuses or drags his feet -- then make it clear that he is standing in the way of the progressive ideas they are advocating. I hope in these two areas they provide positive ideas and are successful at promoting them and do not waste their time playing politics, which I feel is not productive.

Last edited by babastooey; 12-05-12 at 01:53.
Old 12-05-12, 02:11

Change cycling eventually. I like it!

Change cycling next year.

Change cycling one day.

Change cycling never.
Old 12-05-12, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by babastooey View Post
Look, I get what you are saying...but when a sport's culture fades and devolves into corruption, the people who love the sport want to see it turned around sooner rather than later. Which is why I suppose they decided to name the group "Change Cycling Now" ... as opposed to "Change Cycling Eventually." I hope it is the former and not the latter.
I agree with your overall sentiments. I guess what I am saying is lets give the CCN guys who are passionate and knowledgeable about this noble cause an opportunity to deliver. Our years/decades of UCI frustration are no reason to be overly critical of them within days/weeks - not yet. Lets focus our current critique on the villains not the potential change agents. For "Now" at least.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-05-12, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...Now-group.aspx

Guess they'll be getting an earful
sorry, i don't see the earful, no do i see the entire affair as anything but a scam or a farce.

think, my friend !

who, how, when, what ...can bring ANYTHING of significance when the uci had years to concealed and destroy the hard evidence.
Old 12-05-12, 09:20

First outputs from CCN coming through on their website. Some great videos here
http://www.changecyclingnow.org/gallery-4?nggpage=3

and Charter of the willing also.
http://www.changecyclingnow.org/wp-c...he-Willing.pdf

Work in progress!

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-05-12, 11:30

Quote:
First outputs from CCN coming through on their website. Some great videos here
http://www.changecyclingnow.org/gallery-4?nggpage=3
They need to fix soon Ashenden's spelling.
Old 12-05-12, 11:48

Euskaltel joining CCN?
Also buying the old buses from ONCE / Manolo Sainz
http://www.elcorreo.com/vizcaya/v/20...-20121205.html
Old 12-05-12, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
sorry, i don't see the earful, no do i see the entire affair as anything but a scam or a farce.

think, my friend !

who, how, when, what ...can bring ANYTHING of significance when the uci had years to concealed and destroy the hard evidence.
One would Think the IC would find this interesting:

In addition, Eric Boyer is also a CCN member and stated yesterday that he had been threatened with legal action by UCI President Pat McQuaid after he raised concerns about Armstrong’s return to racing. He has said that he still has the letter in question and, presumably, will consider handing it over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 12-05-12, 13:17

Quote:
I guess what I am saying is lets give the CCN guys who are passionate and knowledgeable about this noble cause an opportunity to deliver. Our years/decades of UCI frustration are no reason to be overly critical of them within days/weeks - not yet. Lets focus our current critique on the villains not the potential change agents. For "Now" at least.
And I agree; they cannot fix the issues of decades in days. They can however Create the climate of change we so badly need!

Give them an opportunity and support!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!