Contador and Spanish cycling - Page 64 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-04-12, 20:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Be careful there better talk nice about Bjarne&Berto from now on
Please remember that all points of view are welcome in this forum.

Susan
Old 12-05-12, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
The problem is that the general thrust of his opinion does not seem to be "cycling does more than any other sport, that's great, let's do everything we can to get rid of doping", but rather "cycling does more than any other sport, so I don't know what the fuss is about or why people think there's a problem".
I think you are putting a lot of words into Tinkoff's mouth. If you want to quote him from other interviews where he expresses such a "there is no problem" opinion, that would be valuable here, but he said no such things in the specific interview in question.

As for what he did NOT say, I think it is unfair to expect every person in the cycling industry to have to make an anti-doping statement in every interview. It makes me weary to hear a doping question in every interview, it must be exhausting to have to answer them in every interview.

Last edited by silverrocket; 12-05-12 at 04:29. Reason: I'm illiterate
Old 12-05-12, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrocket View Post
I think you are putting a lot of words into Tinkoff's mouth. If you want to quote him from other interviews where he expresses such a "there is no problem" opinion, that would be valuable here, but he said no such things in the specific interview in question.

As for what he did NOT say, I think it is unfair to expect every person in the cycling industry to have to make an anti-doping statement in every interview. It makes me weary to hear a doping question in every interview, it must be exhausting to have to answer them in every interview.
Not sure that excuses his dismmisisve statements: as a team sponsor he has a certain responsibility, and the blase slant of his statements is well out of kilter with the current mood amongst fans and media. Not to mention cycling itself, with applications flying in for membership of Movement for Credible Cycling and CCN.

And hugely disrespectful of Argus-Shimano
Old 12-05-12, 09:59

Quote:

You're right, he didn't say that in any interview. That's my own inference based largely on what Hamilton said about him. I don't trust him. I don't think he's being straightforward.
Old 12-05-12, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post

Susan
Yea maybe I wasn't completely serious but oh well I should have known the mods would jump at me like they always do
Old 12-05-12, 15:20

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post

Susan
Interesting you say that^^ does it also mean all off topic postings are welcome since I don't know what Oleg Tinkoff (who is Russian) has to do with Spanish Cycling or Contador and the fact that Tinkoff sponsors his team doesn't justify all of the previous talk on Tinkoff statement in this forum or would you care to explain how it works ?

And yes this is off topic I know
Interviewer: You've earned the nickname of "El Pistolero" for your simulated pistol firing at the end of a stage. And while the nickname makes sense, I'm left wondering what is the inspiration for pistol victory? Does it draw from your enthusiasm for hunting, or is there a deeper meaning?

Alberto: It was the sign I made for showing to a friend I was dedicating the victory to him, and I have continued to use it.
Old 12-05-12, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
You're right, he didn't say that in any interview. That's my own inference based largely on what Hamilton said about him. I don't trust him. I don't think he's being straightforward.
Ahh gotcha...

So you won't mind then if I use the mumblings of a similarly nefarious serial doper and liar as a justification to misrepresent statements by other personalities in cycling?
Old 12-05-12, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice&hardwork View Post
Interesting you say that^^ does it also mean all off topic postings are welcome since I don't know what Oleg Tinkoff (who is Russian) has to do with Spanish Cycling or Contador and the fact that Tinkoff sponsors his team doesn't justify all of the previous talk on Tinkoff statement in this forum or would you care to explain how it works ?

And yes this is off topic I know
This is the clinic. The Contador and Spanish cycling thread relates to doping. Tinkoff sponsor's his team as you say. Tinkoff has made what some see as rather poorly timed (to put it mildly) comments regarding doping in the sport. He has simultaneously made it plain he thinks Alberto is the bees knees, when others may see him as a dodgy character in a dodgy national doping culture.

So none of this comment has really been "off-topic" at all. IMO
Old 12-05-12, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandillusion View Post
This is the clinic. The Contador and Spanish cycling thread relates to doping. Tinkoff sponsor's his team as you say. Tinkoff has made what some see as rather poorly timed (to put it mildly) comments regarding doping in the sport. He has simultaneously made it plain he thinks Alberto is the bees knees, when others may see him as a dodgy character in a dodgy national doping culture.

So none of this comment has really been "off-topic" at all. IMO
Have you actually read the full transcript yet?
Old 12-05-12, 16:16

Quote:

You seem to have a lot of sympathy with a poor exhausted Tinkoff. I sympathise with the awful weariness you feel at having to endure listening to this constant media intrusion.

Any expressions of sympathy with, say, Paul Kimmage or Greg LeMond, who may be feeling a little "weary" now too?