Cricket- the sport not the insect - Page 122 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-04-12, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Don't be so harsh- although we did not have a pace spearhead Johnson and Starc bowled well, markedly so in the first innings- though if we had one of Siddle or Pattinson... They were let down by Hastings, Watson and in the second Lyon.

Starc shall improve over time.
If anything, Watson was one of the best bowlers. Johnson was very inconsistent.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-04-12, 01:56

I think it was Bill Lawry who made the observation that Australia's bowlers lacked the off stump discipline in the second innings. Watson probably should have gotten more overs since he's more accurate with that regard.
Old 12-04-12, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
I think it was Bill Lawry who made the observation that Australia's bowlers lacked the off stump discipline in the second innings. Watson probably should have gotten more overs since he's more accurate with that regard.
It was a disappointing end to an interesting series. Too many loose shots by our best players cost us. South Africa were good but we made them look even better and our bowling in the second innings was not good enough. If we don't have Cummins and Pattinson for the Ashes we could be in trouble especially if more of our bowlers get injured. We need to find another good swing bowler for the English conditions. Hilfenhaus is one. Watson is okay but our bowling stocks look a little light. Cummins has stress fractures in his back and will be out for a long time.
Old 12-04-12, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Since this was Watson's first match coming back from an injury they probably held back on his bowling. It was great to see de Villiers finally score some runs again.
Old 12-04-12, 20:27

Mostly Australians in here, what do you guys think of this: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/595088.html
Old 12-05-12, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post
Mostly Australians in here, what do you guys think of this: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/595088.html
Personally, I have always been a big supporter of Warne, despite his past. If anyone could do it, he could comeback.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-05-12, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Personally, I have always been a big supporter of Warne, despite his past. If anyone could do it, he could comeback.
While I beleive that he could do a better job than Nathan Lyon, Steve Smith etc even at 43, it is the wrong move. Warne would be better used coaching and mentoring up and coming talents as despite his many faults he was an intelligent cricketer and a good leader.

What I'd really like is for Warnie to be nominated as Aus coach when Micky Arthur moves on.
Old 12-05-12, 06:52

I think it is just a publicity stunt but i agree that he could. He does dismiss the idea though so maybe i should not be so harsh.

Watson was accurate but only bowled 18 overs (probably due to his injury) but in the 2nd innings took no wickets, Johnson did, even though he was inconsistent but it was his 1st game at test level in a year.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-05-12, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Warne is one of the all time great bowlers but 20/20 cricket is not Test cricket. He has not played test cricket for a long time. Can't see it happening. Lyon is improving but is a long way from Warne's skill level. Warne was a fierce competitor and used to psyche out plenty of good batsmen.
Old 12-06-12, 08:01

I think Warne would be a raging success if he turned out for us, even if just in the Ashes. First of all, he is in far better shape now than he was his entire career. Along with that, his reputation is earth shaking, particlarly in England. English batsmen probably still have nightmares over him. Also they are really poor these days at playing spin, even though they are dismantling India atm. They were destroyed by first Ajmal and then Herath this year, and while both are certainly good spinners, Warne is better than the pair of them combined.

If he's serious about this, he should come back to Shield cricket with Victoria. He hasn't played a game longer than 3 hours in 5 years, a few Shield matches would give himself and us a better idea as to how he is these days.