The French hope of the century or the Colombian Messiah? - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who is the best talent?
Thibaut Pinot 49 30.43%
Nairo Quintana 112 69.57%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-12, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
you forget argiro ospina, who is already above level of dombrowski imo. but you will find out about him next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Rolland's best bet would be the Vuelta or the Giro, I can't see him winning the Tour, even if he improves his TTing ability he probably won't be able to do much better than a podium place. With the way Unipublic create Vuelta routes, I think he should focus on it more so than the Giro. Also he really needs to move from Europcar if he wants to win one. They aren't capable of supporting him, and they aren't likely to gain invites to the Vuelta or Giro regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Bicycle View Post
Wait - did you really just compare Pinot to Valverde? That's hilarious.
@BBB:For in the future. He does share characteristics at the moment. Pinot can climb just like Valverde and sprint so i was just saying that he could be like him in the future- the whole thread talks about these 2 basically as GT winners.

@RH: Stop giving away CQ picks.

@Alphabet: I agree but he could continue developing so that could allow him to win the TDF. Europcar have a team that can support him in Voeckler, Charteau, Cousin, Kern, Jerome...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-05-12, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
and where is your proof that pinot has the engine to go 250 km in a classic?
Exactly. It's not just about explosiveness or guys like Slagter would be way up there as future contenders for a Liege podium. They may still be, but nothing points to that right now.

Much shorter semi-classics or sub- 200 km hilly stages are a different matter ofc.
Old 12-05-12, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
The last year: 9th in Beghelli, race winned by Pozzato. 3rd in Tre Valli Varesine winned by Rebellin. Stage of St Savin (Rhone-Alpes Isère Tour)
In 2010: 14th in Montreal and 15th in Paris Camembert in his first professional season with 20 years. So those are the arguments. I dont write things without them. And i continue thinking the same. Pinot has more potential as a classics rider.
With you on this. Going for classics would not be a problem for Pinot.
However we probably won't know for a while since being French and a big GT hope means Pinot will be firmly focused on stage racing for the next few years.
Old 03-21-13, 15:50

Volta a Catalunya

Real cycling fans - 2
2012 Tour de France fans - 0
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 03-21-13, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Volta a Catalunya

Real cycling fans - 2
that is pretty stupid. I think Pinot is a huge talent and I am not a 2012 Tour de France fan
Old 03-21-13, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Volta a Catalunya

Real cycling fans - 2
Considering this is Pinot's first race since month, and Quintana riding Paris Nice as preparation for this, he should be in much better shape.

Is this really a surprise
Old 03-21-13, 16:37
Banned

I don't know. I don't believen in them as GT podium finishers. Nairo will probably become a climber like Soler or Botero to fight for Polka dot in the Tour. Pinot is rather a future Voeckler.
Old 03-21-13, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I don't know. I don't believen in them as GT podium finishers. Nairo will probably become a climber like Soler or Botero to fight for Polka dot in the Tour. Pinot is rather a future Voeckler.
What? Pinot is already a better climber Voeckler ever was in my opinion.

Quitnana has few weakness, and for now is rather a great climber than a true GC contender obviously. But can't judge him until he rode his first GT as total leader.
Old 03-21-13, 16:55

Thing of beauty watching that Quintana climb today. So fluid and effortless. He's got my vote.
Old 03-21-13, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Quintana is already different to those two. Especially Botero. Really comparing Quintana with Botero is out of whack. Completely different built.

I was very excited with Quintana last year but is looking better and better since he is so young and already beating the other experienced riders.

How can somebody see weaknesses in Quintana so far? We don't have enough history to see that. Not like Uran. He will probably show weaknesses in the future but so far they are limited. And please don't come back to tell me that he cannot TT like Wiggins because that's also a silly comparison for a rider of his size.