Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 39 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-04-12, 14:34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
It's a fail if you consider Sky management's plans of grand tour domination. I wouldn't call it a fail though on Froome's part, just on Sky management's.
How could you explain their determination then? Cavendish was practically kicked away from the team.
Old 12-04-12, 14:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
it certainly was a much better attempt. he won the first GT which happened to be the toughest GT of the last decade parcours wise and went to the usually toughest GT of the year in terms of contention, and despite losing 2 minutes due to a crash and a TTT on the first 2 stages and injuring his knee on crashes caused by the lack of strength of his team he still "only" finished 5 minutes back and was until the very last day on the greatest animators of the race.

froome got second on the tour and went to the vuelta where despite having no bad luck and getting a fantastic support from his team he still finished 10min back being an absolute non factor on the decisive part of the race.
It is not quite correct comparison. What's the use to extol the parcours if there were no proper attackers (only the man with a frying pan instead of working gear in a blue shirt)? I would gladly see Contador at his 2nd GT against multiple rivals who shoot all possible guns. You know, to сompare uneventful until Galibier Tour and Vuelta is just cynical. By the way you prudently didn't say that Froome rode 'toughest GT of the year in terms of contention'. Unsurprising.

Why do you always underline a team aspect? The team is nothing, when a rider can't hang on. The team may help only if opponents are very very close by strength. Froome didn't have a fantastic support at the Vuelta. And support which could help him to get on the podium simply doesn't exist considering his form.

Last edited by airstream; 12-04-12 at 15:04.
Old 12-05-12, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
It's how you tell them, it really is.

He was the top climber at the Tour, won a TT medal at the Olympics and then tried another GT 3 weeks later where unsurprisingly he was completely empty, but still managed 4th. I can count on 1 hand the number of cyclists in history who would expect to do better in that combo of races (and no, before you all get hysterical, I'm not saying he's up there, I'm just saying the objective results are clearly very good when stated without the usual caveats and desire to ignore the relevance of doing 2 GTs in a row, which is happily used as an excuse for other riders).
I thought he wasn't completely empty until the end of the first week of the Vuelta when he attempted that fail lead out for Ben Swift... Before that he was doing pretty well, even dropping Valverde and Cantador on Stage 6.
Old 12-05-12, 11:36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwabbit View Post
I thought he wasn't completely empty until the end of the first week of the Vuelta when he attempted that fail lead out for Ben Swift... Before that he was doing pretty well, even dropping Valverde and Cantador on Stage 6.
He needs voice in his ears. Mustn't listen to himself.
But so needs Wiggo too.
Old 12-05-12, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwabbit View Post
That was one of the most moronic moves I saw: Sky burnt themselves up trying to deliver a stage for swift and Froome was taking multiple turns on the front. Appalling tactics and I think they paid for it. That and poor tactics in the mountains, misusing Henao and Uran making them ride tempo at silly points and meaning they weren't there to help Froome when he was isolated by the Armada.

The Tour was well executed, the Vuelta was terrible, form aside
Old 12-05-12, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
That was one of the most moronic moves I saw: Sky burnt themselves up trying to deliver a stage for swift and Froome was taking multiple turns on the front.
Is this a new excuse to be added to a long set of excuses on why Froome finished so far in GC?
Old 12-05-12, 14:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Is this a new excuse to be added to a long set of excuses on why Froome finished so far in GC?
He wasn't that far.
Best foreign rider is a nice achievement.
Old 12-05-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
He wasn't that far.
Best foreign rider is a nice achievement.
Should it be an award for that?
Old 12-05-12, 14:58
Banned

Quote:
Should it be an award for that?
No, but maybe for second best Spaniard...
Old 12-05-12, 15:00

Quote:
Less an excuse, more a statement of fact. Not a huge fan of Froome, and certainly didn't think he would walk the Vuelta. At the end of the day he didn't ride that well and the team didn't ride that well ergo he lost. Quod erat demonstratum.

And it was moronic, particularly as Swift didn't look like he could buy a sprint win in the Vuelta. Impressive on the track, and took some handy wins in Poland in the build up, he was massively outclassed in the Vuelta. I'm hoping its a blip of form but considering he's the one Sky will looking to fill Cav's boots next season I doubt they'll be winning 50 races again.