Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 40 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-05-12, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
Less an excuse, more a statement of fact. Not a huge fan of Froome, and certainly didn't think he would walk the Vuelta. At the end of the day he didn't ride that well and the team didn't ride that well ergo he lost. Quod erat demonstratum.

And it was moronic, particularly as Swift didn't look like he could buy a sprint win in the Vuelta. Impressive on the track, and took some handy wins in Poland in the build up, he was massively outclassed in the Vuelta. I'm hoping its a blip of form but considering he's the one Sky will looking to fill Cav's boots next season I doubt they'll be winning 50 races again.
Gotcha. Agree that was fkcing moronic by Sky regardless if it affected Froome or not.
Old 12-05-12, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
How could you explain their determination then? Cavendish was practically kicked away from the team.
Admittedly I'm far from a fan of Sky or Wiggins although many of their individual riders I enjoy watching, it's just that something about their announcing their plans/ambitions of "dominating" grand tours rubbed me the wrong way. I don't question their determination regarding Wiggins/Sky's singular pursuit of winning the Tour or doing well in stage races. We have to keep in mind how Wiggins was at threat of being dumped from the team after his quite disappointing 2010 season, that being motivation for him to sacrifice all, take on the monk-like dedication to train to regain favor with the team and show he was worth their investment. I don't think he'll have the same level of commitment to his task as he had in 2011 & 2012 and as a result won't be reaching the same heights and level of success. This will lessen the liklihood of Sky pulling the grand tour triple as they had hoped. Which has me happily looking forward to the 2013 season, one that will restore order to the world.
Old 12-05-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
He wasn't that far.
Best foreign rider is a nice achievement.
10 minutes is quite a gap however you look at it.
Old 12-05-12, 17:47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
We have to keep in mind how Wiggins was at threat of being dumped from the team after his quite disappointing 2010 season
I never heard about that. To damp for who? Was there any available GC alternative on the market? This sounds not very plausible to put it mildly.
Quote:
I don't think he'll have the same level of commitment to his task as he had in 2011 & 2012 and as a result won't be reaching the same heights and level of success.
Sure he won't the same as Gilbert will never reproduce his 2011 results and no one will win 2 GTs in a row during the season. The contention is too tight. And any grandiose achievement requires huuuge concatenation of circumstances.
Quote:
This will lessen the liklihood of Sky pulling the grand tour triple as they had hoped. Which has me happily looking forward to the 2013 season, one that will restore order to the world.
Well, thank you for your thoughts. Apparently it is the way of reasoning of all those who feel antipathy towards Sky or simply doesn't wanna see changes at the top. It is like Hitch's race theory. If a rider is weaker, it is his place and he can not get stronger otherwise it is not normal and his threads must bristle with thousands of posts in other subforum or something.

I still don't know how to treat Sky. Probably I will root for them cos two my compatriots ride for the team, but they will be the main driving force that slices the pie. There is no doubt.

Last edited by airstream; 12-05-12 at 17:53.
Old 12-05-12, 18:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
10 minutes is quite a gap however you look at it.
How tight was it between the Spaniards?
Old 12-05-12, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
How tight was it between the Spaniards?
You have a strange way on trying to make your point. Can't wait for you to elaborate on your question.
Old 12-05-12, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I never heard about that. To damp for who? Was there any available GC alternative on the market? This sounds not very plausible to put it mildly.
So you're calling me a liar? I read this in one of the many articles that CN has dedicated to Sky/Wiggins. I'm sure someone more resourceful than myself could find it and post a link, or you could search yourself since you find the scenario so hard to fathom.
Old 12-05-12, 19:21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
You have a strange way on trying to make your point. Can't wait for you to elaborate on your question.
Race for which Spaniards care the most.
It was clear long before the race Spanish trio is targeting it.
After Nibali's victory in 2010. Froome's the best foreigner.
Old 12-05-12, 21:12

I didnt know there was a "Best Foreigner" category... WTF!

He was the best 4th place.
Old 12-05-12, 21:14
Banned

And the year before?