The Strongest Contador? - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Strongest Contador?
Tour '07 15 15.46%
Tour '09 44 45.36%
Giro '11 21 21.65%
Waiting for tour '13 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-12, 09:39

Physically, the 2011 Giro. Mentally, 2009 Tour, due to doubt to the constant LA tantrums he had to endure day after day.
Old 12-05-12, 10:00

To those who voted for the 2011 Giro... how do you figure? The field was weak and Scarponi almost caught him in the queen stage. I don't think Contador was overly strong on Zoncolan, either.
Old 12-05-12, 10:09
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
To those who voted for the 2011 Giro... how do you figure? The field was weak and Scarponi almost caught him in the queen stage. I don't think Contador was overly strong on Zoncolan, either.
True. The man was never attacked. Strength is never defined with this fact. Everyone points the parcours somehow. I think the parcours is almost nothing when there is to team that destroy the peloton. The parcours never smashes a rider. NEVER. Only opponents can do that. The 2012 Tour shows it very brightly.

Last edited by airstream; 12-05-12 at 10:12.
Old 12-05-12, 10:27

Yesterday i was watching the Tignes stage of the TDF of 2007 and i have to say i am impressed. The Rasmussen breakway, Moreau attacking from 17 kms to the finish, then Mayo remembering his bests times in Euskaltel, then Valverde... Vinokourov and Klöden pushing in the back group were Menchov or Leipheimer stayed and Gerdemann, the yellow jersey, was suffering... A nice stage. And then the Briançon stage where we could see the Soler exhibition, Valverde breaking the peloton and pushing in the group of the bests climbers like a ****ing crazy guy, then attacking one more time, then Contador surprising all... All since more than 30 kms to the finish if im not wrong... Incredible Alps. The battle Rasmussen-Contador in the Pyrenées... Giro 2010, TDF of 2003 and the TDF of 2007 the bests GTS of the decade.
Old 12-05-12, 11:42

2009 and not just the tour.but i got big hopes for 2013
Old 12-05-12, 11:55

Quote:
The winning margin on GC, the gifted stages and the ease with which he handled the mountains. I agree that Zoncolan was one of his not so good days and yes the opposition were disappointing. He always looked in control to me.
Old 12-05-12, 18:12

Quote:
Right... career best performances from a number of high-profile riders, most notably Contador, Rasmussen, Evans and Leipheimer. Also maybe Sastre... that long-range attack in the Aubisque stage with tons of exposed false flat was very impressive, considering he didn't really "crack" and still finished in the top 5 overall.

And then to think it was considered a "weak" edition initially.
The battle with Chicken on Peyresourde and Plateau de Beille was immense but my favourite stage of that Tour was the Galibier stage, with Popo up the road. Contador forced everyone to sit up and notice him that day as the race was blown to pieces on what was expected to be a fairly innocuous stage behind a breakaway.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-05-12, 22:28

Quote:
Scarponi was really strong that year and Contador made a lot of tactical mistakes that day that would have cost good minutes to any other rider: he dropped his team mates almost at the top of Giau, attacked with Kruwsjik (where the f*** was he this year by the way?) in Marmolada jus because he couldn't stay put,...
Old 12-06-12, 14:48

the first GT, after his child born
Giro, Tour 2014
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 12-06-12, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca and me View Post
the first GT, after his child born
Giro, Tour 2014
What . . ?