Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 11-30-12, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post
The beauty of the spreadsheet, is players can update it themselves from the cqranking download (so Hugo being understandably unavailable for a week or two, doesnt have a major impact). If I'm having a particularly good week I sometimes input the riders' new values myself to do my own unofficial update.

I think everyone appreciates your work on the website (and its a shame if you dont realise this), and I'm note sure people were necessary choosing Excel in an either/or situation, just for providing their team and for the updates. I can appreciate that without inputting our teams through the website that makes (it would seem) it not worthwhile to provide the data you did for 2012. And that is fair enough.

Perhaps if Hugo (and I dont think he necessarily feels any ownership of them) doesnt go ahead with GT games perhaps yourself and say Armchair Cyclist could do just these games on the website, while still giving Hugo the platform to host the downloads.

I think I can understand why Hugo didnt think to put his recent downloads on the website as you seem to be stepping back, as your recent comments seem to confirm.
I wouldnt mind running the GT games, unfortunately again, if you dont have the riders in your database, you just cant really do anything ...

I may look at it when we get there in May
Old 11-30-12, 18:20

I have to say that I really liked the website and the GT games... if theres some way you guys can work together it would be fantastic. The website makes the entire thing more elegant and easier to check on. It also could facilitate more people joining-- people outside CN which could be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
Old 12-01-12, 07:58

Alright. Game's on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicing View Post
I've come online to declare that it will be easy to crack 20,000 points this year easily.
Old 12-02-12, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Alright. Game's on!
Well, there certainly is possible to beat this years winning score if some of the "bargains" will have a season next year that equals their best. A quick check on my provisional team gives more than 10000 points from 8 riders costing less than 3600 points, if they are able to equal their best season. Add 25 up and coming riders to this team, then 20000 is far from impossible
Old 12-03-12, 00:43

Hoping that somebody out there might be able to help a first timer with a few questions to see if I understand this properly

The points for 2012 make no difference to the final score of next years rankings, they are only used to set the current price.

So selecting the person with the highest current CQ ranking is probably a bad move, I less I think that they are going to have an even better season this year (unlikely)

The ideally you want your team to be full of low cost people who you think will win this year. So a two digit Luxembourger who has a chance to do well at TDF is a good choice as it is the increase in the value that matters.

Because it is just the change in value, if you choose badly your final score can be less than what you started with

You get a minimum amount of points just for finishing a race. The lower the quality of the race the less points it is worth and the lower down the order they are awarded

Does that all sound right?
How much of an impact do pro-conti teams have?
Old 12-03-12, 06:33

Pro Conti teams can be good if you feel you can identify young talent/ all that can go well in GT's (trouble is picking which ones go there) or you can pick one where the rider can win at other races throughout the year... Betancur was a good example this year.

What you said above all seems right, except for the minimum score- sometimes it does not even happen on really small races and it is only on the GC or one day- not each stage (just pointing out in case you did not know).

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

"No one is dropping Simon Gerrans."
Old 12-03-12, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerion View Post
Hoping that somebody out there might be able to help a first timer with a few questions to see if I understand this properly

The points for 2012 make no difference to the final score of next years rankings, they are only used to set the current price.

So selecting the person with the highest current CQ ranking is probably a bad move, I less I think that they are going to have an even better season this year (unlikely)

The ideally you want your team to be full of low cost people who you think will win this year. So a two digit Luxembourger who has a chance to do well at TDF is a good choice as it is the increase in the value that matters.

Because it is just the change in value, if you choose badly your final score can be less than what you started with

You get a minimum amount of points just for finishing a race. The lower the quality of the race the less points it is worth and the lower down the order they are awarded

Does that all sound right?
How much of an impact do pro-conti teams have?
Yeah, you're basically right. If you're not familiar with cqranking.com's system, I suggest you take a look at it. You'll probably learn a lot about the game and which riders to go for.

Pro Conti riders (and Conti riders for that matter) can be good as well. For instance, Julian Kern, riding for Leopard Trek - CT, was the best unique pick last year based on percentage wise return. He cost 1 point but gave 130 in return. Of course it will be hard to create a team only consisting of Pro Conti riders because they do have a limited scoring potential compared with the riders on he ProTeams. There will definitely be some bargains, though.

Last year's winner, skidmark, had 6 Pro Conti riders on his team as far as I can tell by quickly looking at his team. You might want to take a look at last year's thread as well - you can probably learn a bit by looking at some teams.

Good luck, and feel free to send me a PM if you have some more specific questions or you can even ask in the "name dropping thread"
Old 12-05-12, 05:08

Having troubles filling my CQ team this year. I don't think there are many good bargains.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-05-12, 05:45

Go to the name dropping thread to get a response that can help.

I am assuming that the game starts on the 3rd of Jan (when JHST starts)???

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

"No one is dropping Simon Gerrans."
Old 12-05-12, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Go to the name dropping thread to get a response that can help.

I am assuming that the game starts on the 3rd of Jan (when JHST starts)???
Sun tour is a 'national event' and wont be paying CQ points. Aussie/NZ nationals first up I think.