What's my name fool. - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-04-12, 00:57

Did Betsy turn down the nomination? Maybe the one person not to take no for an answer and make sure the job gets done
Old 12-04-12, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Lemond could function in a Churchill sort of way initially, to get things rolling. Just a thought.
Greg will be the guy establishing the beach head in the battle, to lead the fight as "the Only US Tour de France" winner, as the figurehead for "clean success". This battle will be fought in the mass media with the general public and aimed to force national feds to take the position to drop support for Pat. Visibly supporting Pat will not be an option for the national Feds (in a similar way to the Oceania countries not being able to vote Turtur back in).

The strategy will be to further damage Pat (and Hein) in the initial battle with Greg. Greg's campaign will establish the principles of a new clean system (eg separate doping responsibility, etc). The total war (a "changed cycling") will be won later with a candidate that will come from within the existing system, a candidate that the National Feds are comfortable with, that will have to uphold the new principles that by then are established and supported by the media/public.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-05-12, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Not going to happen. McQuaid has not been lavishing favors on third world countries because he believes that is the way to expand cycling globally. It is to ensure a block of support that makes him unassailable in UCI elections.

The most practical solution may be for pro cycling to go back to having its own governing body.
You might be right that it ain't gonna happen. It would be a devil's race to put odds on this one. BUT - this is what the guys at CCN thought should be their best first shot. I WOULD be willing to bet that they have a plan B, C, D, and E.

This is just the 1st round. Those guys in that conference room aren't going away - we've seen that! But this keeps the pressure on.

If it doesn't work - they can go to ASO and say "told-ya-so, now what ya gonna do?" And then say "how about that new league now!"

If they get ASO to back it, the IOC can go suck eggs. The IOC will follow the money in the long run, so I think their talks with the IOC folks will be -- short. Not rude, just not - complete? But if the ASO said bye-bye UCI? Since we're using that worn out Phil-ism "cat amongst the pigeons" - well that would be a Siberian tiger munching on a whole flock of pigeons.

Back to the guys at CCN - I think we need to remember that this isn't Greg's initiative. Greg's candidacy came out of that roomful of big-name cycling and anti-doping people - it was their minds that felt this was worth a shot, and it would be an improvement.

So, back to "is it likely?" Maybe not, but that roomful of people thought it was worth the effort.
Old 12-05-12, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
You might be right that it ain't gonna happen. It would be a devil's race to put odds on this one. BUT - this is what the guys at CCN thought should be their best first shot. I WOULD be willing to bet that they have a plan B, C, D, and E.

This is just the 1st round. Those guys in that conference room aren't going away - we've seen that! But this keeps the pressure on.

If it doesn't work - they can go to ASO and say "told-ya-so, now what ya gonna do?" And then say "how about that new league now!"

If they get ASO to back it, the IOC can go suck eggs. The IOC will follow the money in the long run, so I think their talks with the IOC folks will be -- short. Not rude, just not - complete? But if the ASO said bye-bye UCI? Since we're using that worn out Phil-ism "cat amongst the pigeons" - well that would be a Siberian tiger munching on a whole flock of pigeons.

Back to the guys at CCN - I think we need to remember that this isn't Greg's initiative. Greg's candidacy came out of that roomful of big-name cycling and anti-doping people - it was their minds that felt this was worth a shot, and it would be an improvement.

So, back to "is it likely?" Maybe not, but that roomful of people thought it was worth the effort.
LeMond is not a candidate. He needs backing of the U.S. federation to be a candidate. He is not part of that clique. What chance do you think there is for USA Cycling, which is privately owned by Armstrong's patron and run by Armstrong's friends and allies, to back a LeMond candidacy?

The best bet may be to look to a country like Australia. Ashenden might want to give it a go.
Old 12-05-12, 20:00

McQuaid & UCI commission asking for input sounds nice, but it troubles me. To me, it seems like both McQuaid and the UCI Commission lack vision, which could be why they are asking for input. I am not convinced Pat or the commission have the necessary vision to get cycling out of its current problems. Am I wrong? All cycling needs is someone with vision and the ability to bring people together for progress. Input is nice, but there has to be vision to lead. I think LeMond just might be that guy.
Old 12-05-12, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
McQuaid & UCI commission asking for input sounds nice, but it troubles me. To me, it seems like both McQuaid and the UCI Commission lack vision, which could be why they are asking for input. I am not convinced Pat or the commission have the necessary vision to get cycling out of its current problems. Am I wrong? All cycling needs is someone with vision and the ability to bring people together for progress. Input is nice, but there has to be vision to lead. I think LeMond just might be that guy.
You cannot bracket the UCI Independent Commission with McQuaid concerning vision.

UCI Independent Commission is limited to make recommendations concerning the listed items on the Terms of Reference. The last four words of the TOR, without qualification, at paragraph C are "and to make recommendations".

The Commission is not the panacea to deal with cycling's apparent lack of vision but only to address USADA's Reasoned Decision and the alleged corrupt role played by the UCI in Armstrong's rise to cycling fame and fortune.
Old 12-05-12, 23:04

Quote:
LeMond is not a candidate. He needs backing of the U.S. federation to be a candidate. He is not part of that clique. What chance do you think there is for USA Cycling, which is privately owned by Armstrong's patron and run by Armstrong's friends and allies, to back a LeMond candidacy?

The best bet may be to look to a country like Australia. Ashenden might want to give it a go.
An important point here is the tradition is the candidate's home federation does the nominating. The nomination can come from other federations.

We all know tradition is very important in politics, so that makes Greg's chances at a nomination slim, but not impossible.

I think Australia has the same problem as the USA. The TDU organizer is probably one of many inside the Australia federation.

Patrice Clerc might stand a better chance, but I have no clue what the politics are like inside French cycling.
Old 12-07-12, 14:35

Quote:

Bro, I think you may be getting hung up in the weeds over the word "candidate". In the terms you put, you are right, Lemond is not a "candidate". However - CCN DID announce, as part of their press release, that Lemond would be running for UCI prez! Its like, if a guy from Louisiana says "I'm running for Prez as a Democrat!", well - he has to go get the Dem nomination FIRST, right? But he's STILL RUNNING, until the Dems select somebody!

So maybe he gets shot down by Weiner or whatever or whoever is the power-broker in the USACycling slot now. So what? It doesn't change a single point I made.

Namely:
1. The CCN think this is their best FIRST SHOT, with what they believe are the highest odds of winning - either short-term, or setting up the punch for the knockout.
2. If it fails they will have a fall-back plan, or more likely at least 4 other fall-back plans, depending on what response they get.
3. Right now, in the current political environment in cycling, is when a Lemond candidacy may make the most sense to the cycling power clique in the US, as a way to show that they are supporting efforts to change and grow, without rocking their own boats any more than they have to. It gives them a graceful way out of the growing McQuaid/Verbruggen controversy.
4. As for Ashenden - you might be right - but the CCN summit did not see it that way. Ashenden was in that group, and they picked Lemond, as a group.

Will it happen or not? Dude, I don't have a crystal ball any more than you do. So, we will see, eh?

Last edited by hiero2; 12-07-12 at 14:37.
Old 12-07-12, 14:47

Quote:

Is it possible that USAC, Weisel et all, knowing that Armstrong is dead and no longer needed or wanted, and like to ditch all ties with him, would back a Lemond candidacy.
Could Lance still be holding something over Weisel head? Might an accident happen to Lance if he spilled some beans? I realize last is off topic but....maybe
Old 12-09-12, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Is it possible that USAC, Weisel et all, knowing that Armstrong is dead and no longer needed or wanted, and like to ditch all ties with him, would back a Lemond candidacy.
It's not likely. Wiesel is the brains behind the myth, Wonderboy was the talent. Read a little about the Wiesel/Wonderboy bromance sometime. It's a little creeepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Could Lance still be holding something over Weisel head? Might an accident happen to Lance if he spilled some beans? I realize last is off topic but....maybe
Wiesel appears to more or less own Hein and Pat judging by the still spirited defense of Wonderboy. No need to ruin a good thing.
Wonderboy has been doping since day one inside USAC, so no doubt he's got some dirt. But, lots of dirt out there and little interest or authority to actually clean it up.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 12-09-12 at 08:35.