2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-06-12, 01:26

Quote:
the fact that a 22 year old was able be right up there on the final climb with guys like Sanchez, Uran, Henao, Hesjedal, Contador, Kessiakoff, Pellizotti and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Does 'others' include the winner? I guess you were just paying attention to Quintana.
rewatch the race and then ask yourself if on "on the final climb", the 22 year old was "right up there" with "the winner", or was he maybe actually slightly behind "the winner" who was a few hundred metres ahead.

Maybe then your attempted cheap shots wont end up bombing so hard.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 12-06-12 at 01:29.
Old 12-06-12, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
I didn't include Rodriguez because he beat Quintana (and everyone else) on the climb, and no one was hanging with him when he attacked on the final climb. I was talking more about the guys that Quintana either beat or matched on the climbs.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Maybe then your attempted cheap shots wont end up bombing so hard.
Does the Hitch always have to answer condescendingly with anger? Is this guy okay?
Old 12-06-12, 04:15

Quote:
Because the other guys sprinted faster in the end. Climbing is a very important part of a race like Lombardia; and the fact that a 22 year old was able be right up there on the final climb with guys like Sanchez, Uran, Henao, Hesjedal, Contador, Kessiakoff, Pellizotti and others shows he has enormous potential to be a future contender in the classics.
Yet the race is often decided on a descent. For better or worse(crashes).

So because a person is a better climber he's automatically better than someone who's slightly worse at climbing, but much better in descending?

That's a strange look on racing.

Also being up there with all the rest doesn't mean you were the second strongest man in the race.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-06-12, 04:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Yet in this years race it was decided on the climb.

Quote:
So because a person is a better climber he's automatically better than someone who's slightly worse at climbing, but much better in descending?

Your putting words in my mouth, I never said this at all. All I did is point out that climbing especially mattered in this years race, the winner won by attacking on the climb, and that Quintana was very good on the climbs. Thus he was very strong in the race.

Quote:
Also being up there with all the rest doesn't mean you were the second strongest man in the race.
Duh, but beating and matching some of the best climbers in cycling in terrible conditions in one of the biggest classics in cycling shows enormous potential and talent. This is what I've been saying from the start, do you deny it?

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-06-12, 09:13

Quote:
Duh, but beating and matching some of the best climbers in cycling in terrible conditions in one of the biggest classics in cycling shows enormous potential and talent. This is what I've been saying from the start, do you deny it?
I think the question is whether it shows real potential for the classics. This wasn't your regular classic of course, pretty much tailor made for a Colombian, certainly with the Muro di Sormano in it, and another wall at the end. El Calimero wants us to believe that Gilbert could have won it if he didn't crash, I'm inclined to think he couldn't have, precisely because this course is too hard for a "real" classics rider.
Old 12-06-12, 09:26

Quote:
Lol, he wasn't the best rider after Purito. Since when does only climbing matter in a race?
Old 12-06-12, 09:29

Quote:

the rest were 4 riders behind purito, and he came in 2nd on that climb. also the big climb before he was first or one of the first. he was if not 2nd best than at leats 3rd or 4th best rider. way better than his 11th position if you just looked at results
Old 12-06-12, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
I think the question is whether it shows real potential for the classics. This wasn't your regular classic of course, pretty much tailor made for a Colombian, certainly with the Muro di Sormano in it, and another wall at the end. El Calimero wants us to believe that Gilbert could have won it if he didn't crash, I'm inclined to think he couldn't have, precisely because this course is too hard for a "real" classics rider.
El murro yes. but the final climb is nothing more than a lbl style climb. there it was where only 4 guys including samu, uran, henao were together with quintana and the rest was dropped. the first 3 of those at least known classical riders. purito was first and is also good in classics. I'm not going to say here that quintana is a future lbl winner, because that is doubtful. but he definitely has shown a lot more than pinot in the classics.
Old 12-06-12, 09:44
Administrator

i have to agree with ryo's last 2 posts. quintana might not have been the second best but he was in the group of the second best riders. which is much more then anything pinot has ever shown on a classic.

and gilbert could have definitively contend for the win had he not crashed. after the muro there was still 50k of racing left with only 2 climbs and 1 of those suited gilbert to perfection, so saying he was out of contention for being dropped on the muro, where he didn't even lose that much time, is a bit of a stretch imo.

and quintana could very well win a lbl in the future, he will probably have to do it the same way schleck did in 09 or nibali tried this year but it is possible. hell if not for a super strong astana and iglinsky on what very likely will be the best performance of his career nibali would have done it and it would have been the second time in 4 years some1 won solo all the way from the Roche aux faucons.
Old 12-07-12, 18:13

Froome

Algarve - Tirreno-Adriatico - Tour

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...gainst-wiggins

Presumably Wiggins will try to defend his Paris-Nice title which might well be his only serious target pre-Giro.