Sky - Page 953 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-05-12, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
I will not stand for this abuse of the 50km walk. More interesting than half the repetitive swimming events (especially the synchronised ones) and the misery and tedium of track sprints and the keirin for sure. And far superior to the ridiculous BMX, which might actually be an event that merits something other than sarcastic slow-clapping if they did a handful of laps instead of just one.
Yup. The 50K walking like a dork event is one of the better Olympic sports to watch. It is like a bike race of attrition. There are breakaways, people slowly closing the gap to the leaders ahead, and walkers suffering physical collapse.
Old 12-05-12, 23:51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
They won't take that lying down..
Amen, Brother.
Old 12-05-12, 23:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Fair enough. If only you left out the personal attack at the end though. You void any credibility that came with posting some good counter-arguments.
It's not overly constructive , I grant you that. I'm not sure it voids the credibility of the argument.

If Einstein perfected some piece of his theory on special relativity, and took it into his mad wee head to end his first lecture on the subject at some Austrian gymnastiam, crammed with the most high profile theoretical physicists, with an..

Quote:
"Eat that, b1tches!",
it would certainly not be constructive, but I'm not sure it would void the credibility of the preceding maths.
Old 12-06-12, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
OK troops, whilst funny, the blame UCI/Sky posts are really cluttering up the thread. And will just more than likely result in similar responses when the Australian members are back on-line. And round and round we go

I don't think any particular post merits deletion but it may come to that, so please, back on topic (of sorts at least). Same will apply to any posts in response to the blame Sky ones of a similar nature.

Cheers
When will you begin deleting these posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers
Heretic!! Kill the Unbeliever!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers
They won't take that lying down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers
Amen, Brother.
Tell them to take to PM or Bike Radar.
Old 12-06-12, 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
I will not stand for this abuse of the 50km walk. More interesting than half the repetitive swimming events (especially the synchronised ones) and the misery and tedium of track sprints and the keirin for sure. And far superior to the ridiculous BMX, which might actually be an event that merits something other than sarcastic slow-clapping if they did a handful of laps instead of just one.
The fact they dropped the kilo for BMX still ****es me off.
Old 12-06-12, 00:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatParker117 View Post
The fact they dropped the kilo for BMX still ****es me off.
The OG track program is very frustrating - IOC very stubborn, but there is word cycling may get two more events come 2016, both on the track - either kilo or IP
Old 12-06-12, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
It's not overly constructive , I grant you that. I'm not sure it voids the credibility of the argument.

If Einstein perfected some piece of his theory on special relativity, and took it into his mad wee head to end his first lecture on the subject at some Austrian gymnastiam, crammed with the most high profile theoretical physicists, with an..

it would certainly not be constructive, but I'm not sure it would void the credibility of the preceding maths.
Equating Einstein, his relativity theory and lack of any personal attack, with any post in this forum as a means to justify embedded personal attacks in said posts.

Gotcha.

I am very glad Sky are still debating sending Wiggo to the Tour as leader. Would like to get another chance for him to be pinged.
Old 12-06-12, 01:14
Administrator

[QUOTE=BroDeal;1088875]When will you begin deleting these posts?

I'm working from home tomorrow afternoon so will pick this mess up then
Old 12-06-12, 05:05

AcademyCC's post asking for my opinion on Sky appears to have disappeared.

Anyway, I don't know what to think about pro cycling these days. There is pretty good evidence for the prevalence and effects of doping being reduced. I think there are probably a lot of riders who doped in the past and have stopped, if only because the risks of getting popped have greatly increased and the reduction in doping allows people to keep their jobs without juicing. So I am not prepared to say that because someone doped five years ago he must be doping today.

People point to reduced power-to-weight ratios during climbs as evidence that the peloton is mostly clean. I am not totally convinced. The criteria used is the limit of what is humanly possible. Great riders from the late eighties are used as the benchmark, but those were truly great riders with physiologies that were off the charts even amongst fellow pros. Aside from Contador, I don't see anyone presently who looks to be a LeMond, Hinault, or even a Fignon.

Vaughters says blood parameters show that oxygen vector doping has been nearly eliminated and the performance effects of what riders can do without tripping the bio passport has been reduced to a level that can be made up by marginal gains of non-doping methods. Again, I am not totally convinced. While a rider with a doping program and sloppy training methods might no longer have an advantage over a clean rider with fastidious training methods, such a situation would reward doping with careful attention to all details by eliminating those who used doping in the past as a crutch for disorderly preparation. In perverse irony, there is greater incentive to dope as doping decreases. Doping, even at a reduced level, would allow a rider to put a thumb on the scale. It may not be very potent for single day races, but over a three week grand tour the cumulative effect might make a large difference.

I am skeptical that the bio passport can prevent microtransfusions. There has to be a floor below which unnatural blood variations cannot be separated from natural variations, especially with infrequent and chaotically spaced data points. My guess is that there is still a lot of room left for dopers to operate within.

The bottom line is that even with a radically improved doping situation, I think there is a lot of opportunity for careful dopers in longer events.

When it comes to Sky, it is a guess about whether a collection of components of varying probability produce a whole that is improbable rather than evidence of doping. In such guesses there is a lot of subjectivity and inaccuracy. The bottom line is whether Sky's performance seems to make sense when held up against other teams and other riders.

This thread is filled with the various things that people are skeptical about. It is not any one thing. It is Wiggins AND Froome AND Porte AND Rogers AND Lienders AND Evans getting outperformed by Rogers AND et cetera. Assign a chance of being kosher to each item. Even if each item has a very high chance of being innocent, when all the items are multiplied together, the combined chance makes Sky's performance unlikely, and I don't place things like Rogers performing better than he did while a client of Dr. Ferrari as having a high chance of being kosher. The team's performance looks very suspicious.
Old 12-06-12, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
When will you begin deleting these posts?

Tell them to take to PM or Bike Radar.
Just to point out my post was a response to a now deleted post by Parker, FYI