Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 11 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by distanced View Post
if they both had only one race left in their career and thus could completely empty themselves physically/emotionally on paris roubaix then surely there can be little doubt that cancellara's brute strength/force and endurance would make him unbeatable,he would attack 70km out and simply keep going.

imo.
You mean if Cancellara did what he always does? After his dominance in 2010 all the other teams readjusted, and that whole "I'm the strongest cyclist alive and can just ride the whole peloton off my wheel" thing didn't work in 2011 and it didn't work at the 2012 M-SR. It's amazing to watch but starting to fall into the standard definition of insanity. If Cancellara was on a real classics team, a team that could really support him and had another rider or two of near quality, so they had some tactics in hand, then he'd be almost unbeatable. Working for the Cr@pshack, however, he's going to get a bunch of podium places, but not the top step.
Old 12-05-12, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Working for the Cr@pshack, however, he's going to get a bunch of podium places, but not the top step.
The bosses at Shack sees Devolder returning to former glory.
Old 12-05-12, 23:41

I doubt Fabian could drop Boonen on the cobbles when both are in 100% shape. Fabian did not drop Boonen on the cobbles in 2010 either.
Old 12-06-12, 00:01

Boonen's better on the fiercest cobbles. Cancellara's beast on short hills and the asphalt sections.

So since this poll is about cobbles, I'm going with Boonen. Even though Cancellara didn't feature in it (which is another good point: Boonen almost always features in Roubaix and Flanders), Boonen's Roubaix win in 2009 seals the deal for me. He controlled that race, was always in the right place, and created the selections. You can talk about bad luck and crashing and all that, but remember that there's a reason why Boonen survived it all.
Old 12-06-12, 00:11
Administrator

The best cobblestone rider I would say Boonen, mostly because of his versatility. I would even consider Boonen the best cobblestone rider of all time.

But I see Cancellara as the stronger one of the two; partly because I am far far more impressed by him when he wins than I am when Boonen wins. I think Canc could have won PR and as well as RVV this year had he not crashed out of RVV.

(Now watch all the Boonen fanboys jump all over this post for me saying I thought canc would have beaten Boonen this year)

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"

Last edited by Afrank; 12-06-12 at 15:23.
Old 12-06-12, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
I doubt Fabian could drop Boonen on the cobbles when both are in 100% shape. Fabian did not drop Boonen on the cobbles in 2010 either.
But he can tire boonen out enough to drop him pn tje asphalt. See e3 that year.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-06-12, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
The best cobblestone rider I would say Boonen, mostly because of his versatility. I would even consider Boonen the best cobblestone rider of all time.

But I see Cancellara as the stronger one of the two; partly because I am far far more impressed by him when he wins than I am when Boonen wins. I think Canc could have won PR and maybe even RVV this year had he not crashed out of RVV.

(Now watch all the Boonen fanboys jump all over this post for me saying I thought canc would have beaten Boonen this year)
RVV? Cancellara could have just powered away on that hill where Boonen almost got dropped by the two Italians. I like both riders a lot, but it wouldn't have been close, IMO.
Old 12-06-12, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
RVV? Cancellara could have just powered away on that hill where Boonen almost got dropped by the two Italians. I like both riders a lot, but it wouldn't have been close, IMO.
Let us not exaggerate. Boonen lost 1-2 bike lengths maximum (while pushing a much heavier gear than the others) and very easily caught up with them again. Then he easily countered all Ballan attacks and dominated the sprint.

Boonen might indeed have been weaker on the hills, but I doubt it was by that much.
Old 12-06-12, 08:27

It's easy guys: I've never seen Cancellare riding all the cobbles as first man of the peloton like Boonen does, every year...

Besides, Boonen is way better in strategy. He adapted to being the best, people follow him for years and still he wins. While Cancellara is a one trick pony that could not manage to change his tactics now everybody sit on his wheels since 2010.
Besides: Cancellara was better in 2010. But one year of top form is something different then domination in allmost every year like Boonen does. It's like saying Cobo is a better rider than Froome because he was better in one year in the Vuelta.

Hitch argument is not applying: Boonen is not fading away for 5 years like Garzelli and actually was the 2nd rider in Cancellara's glory year. Boonen is every year at the top, while there are years Cancellara is missing entirely like 2009 where everybody talked about Pozzato and Devolder and Cancellara was nowhere.

Peolpe who thik Cancellara is stronger are making the strange assumption that cobbled classics are a sort of ITT which is obviously not true.

Last edited by Matthijs; 12-06-12 at 08:30.
Old 12-06-12, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z7uUe0tVA

they call that asphalt where you live?