Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 12 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-12, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
It's easy guys: I've never seen Cancellare riding all the cobbles as first man of the peloton like Boonen does, every year...

Besides, Boonen is way better in strategy. He adapted to being the best, people follow him for years and still he wins. While Cancellara is a one trick pony that could not manage to change his tactics now everybody sit on his wheels since 2010.
Besides: Cancellara was better in 2010. But one year of top form is something different then domination in allmost every year like Boonen does. It's like saying Cobo is a better rider than Froome because he was better in one year in the Vuelta.

Hitch argument is not applying: Boonen is not fading away for 5 years like Garzelli and actually was the 2nd rider in Cancellara's glory year. Boonen is every year at the top, while there are years Cancellara is missing entirely like 2009 where everybody talked about Pozzato and Devolder and Cancellara was nowhere.

Peolpe who thik Cancellara is stronger are making the strange assumption that cobbled classics are a sort of ITT which is obviously not true.
I'm not making that assumpion at all speak for yourself
Old 12-06-12, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z7uUe0tVA

they call that asphalt where you live?
We call that a hill. My comment was about Paris-Roubaix.

I assume everyone is in 100% shape for this.
I still do not think that Cancellara can drop Boonen on the cobbles, unless Boonen (like in 2010)is at the back of a large group and has to let to big of a gap.

I could say more about cobbled hills, but let us stick to these 2 riders.
On the cycling side of life; our preseason training camp was very productive, good training, some time to get to know the new guys (great group we've got) and take care of many of the off-the-bike requirements of being a professional cyclist; testing new equipment, meeting with new partners and equipment suppliers, throwing oranges at Phil Gilbert, etc..
Old 12-06-12, 11:07

Who is better cobblestone rider?

Boonen:

Cancellara:

Obviously Boonen. If you look at palmares.

Last edited by Peyote; 12-06-12 at 11:12.
Old 12-06-12, 12:31

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z7uUe0tVA

they call that asphalt where you live?
The Ronde 2010 and E3 2010 are the only times Cancellara has straight up dropped Boonen. One year. I can give you countless examples of Cancellara getting dropped by just about anyone in a cobbled classic.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-06-12, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
Let us not exaggerate. Boonen lost 1-2 bike lengths maximum (while pushing a much heavier gear than the others) and very easily caught up with them again. Then he easily countered all Ballan attacks and dominated the sprint.

Boonen might indeed have been weaker on the hills, but I doubt it was by that much.
That's all I meant. Except I think Cancellara would have dropped all three of them quite easily.
Old 12-06-12, 15:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
RVV? Cancellara could have just powered away on that hill where Boonen almost got dropped by the two Italians. I like both riders a lot, but it wouldn't have been close, IMO.
Yes, I agree with you. Canc probably would have been able to win RVV more easily than Roubaix. Not sure why I said "maybe" in my post , will edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
It's easy guys: I've never seen Cancellare riding all the cobbles as first man of the peloton like Boonen does, every year...

Besides, Boonen is way better in strategy. He adapted to being the best, people follow him for years and still he wins. While Cancellara is a one trick pony that could not manage to change his tactics now everybody sit on his wheels since 2010.
Besides: Cancellara was better in 2010. But one year of top form is something different then domination in allmost every year like Boonen does. It's like saying Cobo is a better rider than Froome because he was better in one year in the Vuelta.

Hitch argument is not applying: Boonen is not fading away for 5 years like Garzelli and actually was the 2nd rider in Cancellara's glory year. Boonen is every year at the top, while there are years Cancellara is missing entirely like 2009 where everybody talked about Pozzato and Devolder and Cancellara was nowhere.

Peolpe who thik Cancellara is stronger are making the strange assumption that cobbled classics are a sort of ITT which is obviously not true.
How is believing Cancellara is stronger making the assumption that the cobbles are a ITT?

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-06-12, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
The Ronde 2010 and E3 2010 are the only times Cancellara has straight up dropped Boonen. One year. I can give you countless examples of Cancellara getting dropped by just about anyone in a cobbled classic.
pls give me one example of boonen dropping cancellara anywhere
Old 12-06-12, 16:10

Quote:
RvV this year,big time dropped by Boonen in the feed zone
Vamos Colombia !!!
Quote:
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 12-06-12, 16:42
Banned

Quote:
Take a look at De Ronde 2005, 2006, 2008.
Also Roubaix 2005, 2009.
Old 12-06-12, 18:09

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBagHWwuYsk

I can give you many more examples, but you only asked for one.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-06-12 at 18:13.