Miche Wheels / Shimano question - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 12-05-12, 14:27
Banned

Default Miche Wheels / Shimano question

A local bike shop told me that Miche Wheels will only take Shimano cassettes with up to 24 teeth - whereas I wanted a 28 tooth sprocket. This sounds unbelievable ..... but is this information correct?
Old 12-05-12, 15:53

I know zero about Miche wheels buy I doubt if this is correct; after all the 24-tooth chainline has to clear the wheel though the same zone that would be occupied by a 28 tooth chainline.

The Miche website has instructions for each of their wheels - I see nothing about sprocket size limitations on the few wheels I checked.

Perhaps your LBS is talking about compatibility with your rear derailleur.

Last edited by avanti; 12-05-12 at 16:05.
Old 12-05-12, 15:57

The shop is clueless. The size of the maximum sprocket is limited by the rear derailleur. The number of sprockets depends on the hub width (6/7 speed vs 8/9/10).

Did they come up with a reason why this should be the case? I'm wondering if there is actual 'logic' behind this statement or just some misunderstood knowledge they heard from someone else.
Old 12-06-12, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfra View Post
A local bike shop told me that Miche Wheels will only take Shimano cassettes with up to 24 teeth - whereas I wanted a 28 tooth sprocket. This sounds unbelievable ..... but is this information correct?
Well, considering shimano doesn't make a cogset that ends in 24t..I'd say they were FOS.