Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 12-05-12, 16:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpos...&postcount=636

Seriously?

I'm surprised I didn't get a warning and by the way aren't there worse posts to moderate? I see lots of them.
I did not moderate that posting, I commented on it. And yes, all points of view are accepted in this forum as long as they are properly presented.

The forum itself is NOT pro/anti any rider, team, etc.

Susan
Old 12-05-12, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
I did not moderate that posting, I commented on it. And yes, all points of view are accepted in this forum as long as they are properly presented.

Susan
It was a joke.
Old 12-05-12, 21:34

The topic is "Moderators..."

Off topic posts have been...moderated. Please stay on topic.
Old 12-06-12, 17:54

Quote:

Susan

There are certain times when that seems not to be the case. Still, a laudable goal.
Old 12-07-12, 11:38

Quote:

Susan
I believe there are lots of points that are not acceptable no matter the manner presented. Sexism, racism, facism etc etc......
Old 12-07-12, 14:47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
I believe there are lots of points that are not acceptable no matter the manner presented. Sexism, racism, facism etc etc......
There is a bag of worms.

The trouble with "sexism" arguments is in many respects women are different - particularly when it comes to sport. If you do not allow discussion of differences, you can end up with stupid political correctness arguments such as UK insurance companies no longer allowed to take womens life expectancy into account!

"Racism" can have similar problems. There is little doubt that certain races are better or worse genetically disposed which compounded with nurture and society norms of perseverance means they are potentially better or worse at sports which can be a relevant discussion. I remember a programme Colin Jackson (hurdler) did about whether race influenced performance - he was disappointed when tests proved that being jamaican genetically predisposed the likelihood of him having the "super fast twitch" fibres that were at the core of his performances. I guess he hoped it had more to do with just training and determination. Sadly genes matter more than anything else.

I have often wondered why altitude living rift valley ethiopians and kenyans do not feature higher in the international cycling stakes - since their aerobic performances are outstanding in distance running.

Finally - Fascism IS certainly alive in sport - the chinese culture and state is more or less the definition of fascist which has implications for the performance and structures of their sports teams who are full time paid by the state which gives a competitive advantage and because of that are more or less obliged to do what they are told (no doubt rued by a couple of disqualified badminton players!)

So arguments based on sex race and fascism may have a place on this forum!

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-07-12 at 15:02.
Old 12-07-12, 15:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
Those are not the opinions to which I was refering, obviously.

Susan
Old 12-07-12, 15:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
There is a bag of worms.
So arguments based on sex race and fascism may have a place on this forum!
There are actually some quite interesting points in here, but this discussion would be better held in another thread.

Susan
Old 12-12-12, 20:46

Just a comment, not meaning to criticise mods who have a tough job.

It appears that full blown trolling is accepted but a few bantering but slightly off-topic posts are not.

No big deal really, but it seems to me that trolling destroys threads much more than a bit of joking around.
Old 12-13-12, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
Just a comment, not meaning to criticise mods who have a tough job.

It appears that full blown trolling is accepted but a few bantering but slightly off-topic posts are not.

No big deal really, but it seems to me that trolling destroys threads much more than a bit of joking around.
This i agree with.