Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 13 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 12-06-12, 18:50
Echoes Echoes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Peolpe who thik Cancellara is stronger are making the strange assumption that cobbled classics are a sort of ITT which is obviously not true.

Solo rides in a classics are obviously ITT's. So yeah Cancellara is a stronger rider overall.

For the last time I repeat, you don't necessarily have to be a cobble specialist to win Paris-Roubaix.

De Vlaeminck said: "Hinault and Raas won Paris-Roubaix because they were champions but not cobble specialists."

Boonen was born on the cobbles (or close to it). Not Cancellara. As a U23, Cancellara was nowhere in cobbled races and was up-and-coming time trial specialist. If you have a tt in the back, you can normally do anything.

Cancellara is not a one-trick pony. He can do everything because he's the best time trialist of his generation, period. He's more versatile than Boonen. He's more than a cobble specialist. He can win a long distance asphalt classic, tt's, strade bianche and mountain stage races.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-06-12, 19:00
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Bradley Wiggins can't ride on cobbles, neither can Tony Martin or David Millar. Roubaix isn't about time trial skills, but bike handling on cobbles, positioning and a lot of endurance.

Boonen can win races solo, in a small group sprint and in a bunch sprint. Cancellara can only win solo.

Cancellara only rode one year in the U23 ranks(and even then only a few races), so that argument makes no sense. He was 23 years old when he got fourth in Roubaix. He rode his first Ronde van Vlaanderen at age 22.

Boonen got second once in LBL for espoirs back in 2001.

Cancellara has also never won a mountain stage race in his life. Tirreno-Adriatico 2008 wasn't even Protour that year and only had one tough Muro stage. Tour de Suisse was tailor made for him. Tony Martin was second that year and he's no climber either(but better than Cancellara anyway).

Also Strade Bianche is just a 1.1 race, something a lot of people tend to forget. I don't even think Boonen wants to win that race lol. Long distance asphalt classics? Which one would that be? Milan-San Remo? As if Boonen did not have the capabilities to win that race. He finished on the podium twice already. They ride the same classics every year you know. With the exception of the Amstel Gold Race.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-06-12 at 19:13.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-06-12, 19:09
serfla serfla is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 701
Default

Here he pulled them down all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-07-12, 00:19
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Bradley Wiggins can't ride on cobbles, neither can Tony Martin or David Millar. Roubaix isn't about time trial skills, but bike handling on cobbles, positioning and a lot of endurance.
Being good in the TT doesn't hurt a rider on the cobbles either.
__________________
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-07-12, 01:15
greenedge's Avatar
greenedge greenedge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post

Also Strade Bianche is just a 1.1 race, something a lot of people tend to forget. I don't even think Boonen wants to win that race lol. Long distance asphalt classics? Which one would that be? Milan-San Remo? As if Boonen did not have the capabilities to win that race. He finished on the podium twice already. They ride the same classics every year you know. With the exception of the Amstel Gold Race.
SB is a nice race though, Boonen probably just does not ride it as he does P-N.

Cancellara and Frank crashed last year at AGR though.
__________________
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 12-07-12, 01:59
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Being good in the TT doesn't hurt a rider on the cobbles either.
I fail to see what your skill on a time trial bike has to do with Roubaix. Big engine and endurance is what matters in long one day races. It's also important for time trialing, but what makes you think it's only limited to time trials?

There's a reason why of all the time trial specialists only Cancellara and Phinney have any potential at Roubaix.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-07-12, 02:14
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
I fail to see what your skill on a time trial bike has to do with Roubaix. Big engine and endurance is what matters in long one day races. It's also important for time trialing, but what makes you think it's only limited to time trials?

There's a reason why of all the time trial specialists only Cancellara and Phinney have any potential at Roubaix.
Geraint Thomas.
__________________
The Hitch: 3rd place week 43 2014 cq game. Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-07-12, 02:17
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Geraint Thomas.
What has he shown so far in Roubaix?

Roubaix isn't Vlaanderen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 12-07-12, 02:20
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
I fail to see what your skill on a time trial bike has to do with Roubaix. Big engine and endurance is what matters in long one day races. It's also important for time trialing, but what makes you think it's only limited to time trials?

There's a reason why of all the time trial specialists only Cancellara and Phinney have any potential at Roubaix.
I'm not saying it is limited to time trials at all. But your post made it sound like being good at the time trial can in no way help a rider be good in Roubaix, when it can. If a rider goes on a solo in Roubaix, being a good time trialist will help them to maintain that gap or even increase it, Cancellara demonstrated this.

(And I'm not saying bike handling, positioning, and endurance don't play as much or greater a role in doing well on the cobbles.)
__________________
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12-07-12, 02:23
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
I'm not saying it is limited to time trials at all. But your post made it sound like being good at the time trial can in no way help a rider be good in Roubaix, when it can. If a rider goes on a solo in Roubaix, being a good time trialist will help them to maintain that gap or even increase it, Cancellara demonstrated this.

(And I'm not saying bike handling, positioning, and endurance don't play as much or greater a role in doing well on the cobbles.)
Most editions of Roubaix are won solo. Someone can suck in a time trial just because he almost never trains on a time trial bike. Doesn't mean he doesn't have what it takes to ride a solo on a real bike during a classic. I never said that being good in time trials can in no way help you - I said certain aspects that make you good in long classics can also make you good in time trials. You need a big engine for both.

Besides natural talent what makes the difference during a time trial is lot's and lot's of training on your time trial bike, good position on the time trial bike(lot's of science involved with that), motivation and studying the route extensively. And of course the correct mind set. Tony Martin is afraid of riding at high speed over cobbles. I cannot blame him.

Just because you have a good aerodynamic position on a time trial bike or normal bike doesn't mean you can ride over cobbles on a Roubaix bike. 2 different styles. Also at Roubaix there's often a battle for position on the asphalt sections before the pavé. In a time trial you're all alone. Well, mostly anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-07-12 at 02:30.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.